Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Doha Metro - Senior QS offer (PMC)

Doha Metro - Senior QS offer (PMC)

Old Nov 3rd 2014, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

kdx2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Doha Metro - Senior QS offer (PMC)

Hello all,

I just got an offer from a multinational PMC. This role is for the Doha Metro project.

Package on offer: QAR 50k/month + Education allowance up to 2 children + Annual flight + Medical

I have 10 yrs experience (5yrs in UK and 5yrs in Oz) - It's a mid-senior level position. We're a young family of 3 (a 18 month old toddler son)

Main motivation of for this move is due to high living cost in UK (I'm currently on GBP60k, but cannot save much). I hope to save GBP 2~3k/month by making this move. (Based on 'Is-It-Worth-It' spreadsheet.)
  • Is this reasonable offer? / Do you think I can achieve my GBP2~3k saving target? (Should I save more?) or Should I negotiate further?
  • Is it typical to negotiate for NOC clause in the contract & Multiple exit/entry visa?
  • Contract is for 'Indefinite' - What does it mean when I leave the company / country?

Thanking in advance...
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Doha Metro - Senior QS offer (PMC)

Indefinite means that is not a contract linked to a period of time (i.e. 1 or 2 years). So it is pretty much comparable to a standard contract in the UK.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 7:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You're mental if you don't accept that.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kdx2000
Hello all,

I just got an offer from a multinational PMC. This role is for the Doha Metro project.

Package on offer: QAR 50k/month + Education allowance up to 2 children + Annual flight + Medical

I have 10 yrs experience (5yrs in UK and 5yrs in Oz) - It's a mid-senior level position. We're a young family of 3 (a 18 month old toddler son)

Main motivation of for this move is due to high living cost in UK (I'm currently on GBP60k, but cannot save much). I hope to save GBP 2~3k/month by making this move. (Based on 'Is-It-Worth-It' spreadsheet.)
  • Is this reasonable offer? / Do you think I can achieve my GBP2~3k saving target? (Should I save more?) or Should I negotiate further?
  • Is it typical to negotiate for NOC clause in the contract & Multiple exit/entry visa?
  • Contract is for 'Indefinite' - What does it mean when I leave the company / country?

Thanking in advance...
Bite his hand off , you'll not see a better deal for someone with no Gulf exp
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys!
Old Dec 12th 2014, 9:05 pm

wilkobury is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Thanking in advance...
Hi, may I ask did you get the offer through an agency or direct from the company? I am a UK based Commercial Manager/Senior QS (11 years now) and looking at opportunities to move over the the ME.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi @wilkobury,

I got contacted by the company directly (via linkedin)...
Old Dec 13th 2014, 9:38 pm

Hi @wilkobury,

I got contacted by the company directly (via linkedin)...
Hi kdx, are they still recruiting? If so, would you drop me the details please?

Best wishes, Wilkobury
Old Dec 14th 2014, 12:54 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say the deal is the going rate for a UK/Chartered professional in Doha at the moment. But some things to be aware of:

- Working hours can be long, often 6 days/ 48 hours a week.
- Holidays are paid, but not many (25 working days is typical)
- Check you get an end of service gratuity bonus, and that it's not rolled up into your salary.
- Check the medial cover is private, and not the free Qatar service (Hamad Medical Centre)
- Accommodation is becoming much more expensive, say 15-20k per month for a compounded villa.
- Traffic is a nightmare, so choose a location near your workplace.

You'll easily save GBP 2-3k per month - Double that is do-able in your circumstances.

Go for it, the
is happening on site here and now, with at least 5 years to go...

[J]
Old Dec 14th 2014, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You can save a chunk of that - just make sure you do not spend it all on fast cars and fancy holidays.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Haha, that Monorail song is my favourite!

Thanks guys..

@wilkobury - I've just PM'd you with details..
Old Dec 15th 2014, 10:04 am

Thanks guys..

Thanks, hopefully after this post i'll be able to read (need 3 posts to view PMs).
Old Dec 15th 2014, 10:08 am

Thanks guys..

Hi kdx. Would it be possible to send again please? It doesnt seem to have come through. Many thanks.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

You'll be able to save your 3k monthly and have fancy holidays too and there really aren't any private hospitals here anymore due to the new national health system and Hamad is a fab hospital.
The traffic is a killer so get yourself a tank and you'll be fine.
Thailand is only a 10 hour flight and Sri lanka even less...fantastic.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a great couple of years until you start to go bonkers like the rest of us.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

@wikobury - I've resent it. Did you get it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.