Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Doha: Good or Bad time to go

Doha: Good or Bad time to go

Old Dec 11th 2017, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

davie123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha: Good or Bad time to go

Hi there,

I've been offered a role in Doha. Given the current situation and generally some stuff about Doha itself I was hoping to get some advice.

- I've heard that the blockade is nothing to be concerned about, but should I be wary of upping sticks and going to Doha at the moment?
- Of course like anyone I'd be keen to save. I've been offered essentially the same salary as here but tax free. It's 40k per month all in with health insurance etc. Is this enough to enjoy life and save a decent amount? I would most likely rent a one bed.
- Is the social scene still pretty terrible? I'm early 40's and single. Am I headed for a life of boredom?

Any and all responses appreciated. Apologies if I'm going over old ground here but I couldn't find some recent responses to the above.

Thanks
Old Dec 11th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha: Good or Bad time to go

It's a fine time to go to Doha. I would not be worried about the blockade.

Yes boredom is a distinct possibility.

The salary package you have been offered is low. You should be getting significantly more salary compared to what you are earning in the UK, not just a tax differential.

I would probably reject the offer because of the point above about the salary.

But maybe you are at a station in life where you would like to try something different.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply carcajou, much appreciated.

I did have my concerns with regards to the salary. With that in mind what would you regard as a minimum expectation for a salary over and above tax differential?
Old Dec 11th 2017, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davie123
Thanks for the reply carcajou, much appreciated.

I did have my concerns with regards to the salary. With that in mind what would you regard as a minimum expectation for a salary over and above tax differential?
Some people say 30%.

But I can't tell you how likely this is. For others getting their salary tax-free is all they can reasonably expect.

A single in his 40s living on 40k a month in Qatar will be doing very well. That's what I make and as my goal is to save, I easily live off 8k a month including a room in a flatshare with two other westerners in similar situation and ages (we're all mid-late 30s), and I save the rest. It's really quite easy to save money here because there's bugger all to do.

If you want your own place, a 1-bedroom in West Bay or Pearl can be had for 9kish, and less in the cheaper but respectable parts of town like Sadd. If you don't mind living in the ghetto, you can find a 1-bedroom for 5k and it'll be decent.

Embargo is here for good. Won't change for years. Who knows what the economic ramifications are other than that Qatar, always dull, is now even duller as many have left. I hate Qatar, but others survive happily enough so it's probably what you make of it. Just don't expect easy weekends in Dubai any more.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks DXBtoDOH

I think it's a combination of both lifestyle and salary that might keep me here. I lived in Dubai for a few years before so I think Doha will be a massive dissapointment in comparison.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DXBtoDOH

I think it's a combination of both lifestyle and salary that might keep me here. I lived in Dubai for a few years before so I think Doha will be a massive dissapointment in comparison.
I came here from Dubai. Forced corporate transfer. It is a massive step down in QOL. The upside is that it's easier to save. I made the transfer because I wanted to stay with the company and have long term plans with the company, so that justifies Qatar for a year or so. But if the company doesn't follow up with its promises to move me in another year, I'm calling it quits. Life is too short to waste in Doha.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 10:04 am
Just Joined

So apart from saving, are there any positive points to life in Doha?
Old Dec 13th 2017, 2:22 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

So apart from saving, are there any positive points to life in Doha?
You are first in the queue for world cup tickets 2022 perhaps.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Jammydodger2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I came here from Dubai. Forced corporate transfer. It is a massive step down in QOL. The upside is that it's easier to save. I made the transfer because I wanted to stay with the company and have long term plans with the company, so that justifies Qatar for a year or so. But if the company doesn't follow up with its promises to move me in another year, I'm calling it quits. Life is too short to waste in Doha.
Agree with this I am in my late 20s and my grandma has a better social life than me back in the UK. Doha is very boring
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:43 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammydodger2016
Agree with this I am in my late 20s and my grandma has a better social life than me back in the UK. Doha is very boring
I worked with a guy in KSA before who left to go to Qatar. He came back to Saudi in the end saying he preferred it there. I don't know whether this was based on the job, lifestyle or what.

How would Doha compare to KSA?
Old Jan 15th 2018, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I worked with a guy in KSA before who left to go to Qatar. He came back to Saudi in the end saying he preferred it there. I don't know whether this was based on the job, lifestyle or what.

How would Doha compare to KSA?
I knew a lot of people who preferred the KSA to Qatar as they said that with Saudi you know what you're getting yourself into and you prepare yourself for that .
Old Jan 15th 2018, 7:33 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I knew a lot of people who preferred the KSA to Qatar as they said that with Saudi you know what you're getting yourself into and you prepare yourself for that .
I was wondering about the social life aspect really. Personally I've always found the social life in Saudi to be pretty good (Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam/Khobar etc anyways). I would have thought that Doha had more options, real booze anyway. Is it really that bad?

Maybe it's more the working environment.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I was wondering about the social life aspect really. Personally I've always found the social life in Saudi to be pretty good (Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam/Khobar etc anyways). I would have thought that Doha had more options, real booze anyway. Is it really that bad?

Maybe it's more the working environment.
It's really a funny place to be honest . There's stuff to do and booze but it's all a bit half hearted and shite , nothing stands out and it just ends up being third rate rubbish.

Put it his way i didn't shed many tears when i left.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Jammydodger2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
It's really a funny place to be honest . There's stuff to do and booze but it's all a bit half hearted and shite , nothing stands out and it just ends up being third
Put it his way i didn't shed many tears when i left.
There is not really much to do. The locals are not that friendly to be honest any friends you make will be other expats. There is no public beaches like in Dubai your literally working to get paid eat sleep and repeat!
Old Jan 15th 2018, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jammydodger2016
There is not really much to do. The locals are not that friendly to be honest any friends you make will be other expats. There is no public beaches like in Dubai your literally working to get paid eat sleep and repeat!
I did 5 years mate , it felt a lot longer but i was earning well and was on for as good outfit so it really helped but in the end my time was up and the wife was going a bit stir crazy so i took up another position in Dubai again.

The only friends you ever make in the Gulf usually are other expats and like it or not work is a massive factor anywhere as that's the whole reason for most people being here.

With Qatar you got to earn well , bang the cash away and then exit on your terms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.