Doha Engineering Job Offer

Old Feb 14th 2016, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Doha Engineering Job Offer

Originally Posted by swansee
My view is if you can't save at least £4000 per month by going there it is not really worth. I also think in Doha the learning and development curve is slow compared to the UK, I have more opportunities here to develop I guess
Great, you know what figure you want. As long as it's realistic, you have your benchmark and know where to say yes/no.

Of course, 4,000 GBP per month is more or less than other people save as everyone is different.

But it's vital to know;

1. your value
2. what that means you can save / stash / spend on whores
3. if they match up - because this is when you'll be expected to say yes and take a job, not dick around asking for 3 times more.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

swansee is an unknown quantity at this point

If they match up against the 41k asked I will definitely take it

I was offered 43k from a consultancy company but preferred to go for a more established company, but I was disappointed about their initial offer

Last edited by swansee; Feb 14th 2016 at 1:11 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Anyway thanks guys for your help , will tell you if I will be joining you there or not
Old Feb 15th 2016, 3:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

If they match up against the 41k asked I will definitely take it

I was offered 43k from a consultancy company but preferred to go for a more established company, but I was disappointed about their initial offer
33 to 41 is a big jump. Good luck.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
+ 1
3X times then???

Really I think this is not worth it for the same money you would be making home, not for a 20% increase, not even for a 50% increase.

Its not like you would come here for the "lifestyle"
Old Feb 15th 2016, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
33 to 41 is a big jump. Good luck.
Agreed and I would say 41K is on the high side. 33K is a lot for realistic for someone with 7 yrs experience, especially as none of it is MENA experience.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Agreed and I would say 41K is on the high side. 33K is a lot for realistic for someone with 7 yrs experience, especially as none of it is MENA experience.
To be honnest I receive contrasted comments regarding this, I'm still waiting for a feedback from the employer, hopefully we will agree on a mid-way offer, like 37K

Any one got a loan to purchase a car in Doha, how easy is that?
Old Feb 16th 2016, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough

It was easy, the bank practically threw the money at me. All transferred into my account within a couple of hours of asking for it.

With my bank at least, you can only get a Car Loan for a new car bought straight from the dealership, but you can get a regular Personal Loan for a second-hand car.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

To be honnest I receive contrasted comments regarding this, I'm still waiting for a feedback from the employer, hopefully we will agree on a mid-way offer, like 37K

Hire a cheap car , don't fall into the debt trap until you find your feet . This bit of advice is worth it's weight in gold.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Venezuelan007
3X times then???

Really I think this is not worth it for the same money you would be making home, not for a 20% increase, not even for a 50% increase.

Its not like you would come here for the "lifestyle"
It's relative to the individual and what he has at this present time . Take into consideration his taxable income and on costs in the UK and what he can gain in the GCC.

We can hire decent guys out of the UK at a decent rate for both parties as the balance changes. What people personally think of Qatar is irrelevant , i worked in Doha for over 5 years and i didn't like the country at all but i didn't need 3x or 4x on top of what i was getting beforehand.

There's a rate of pay for the job / location , you can negotiate slightly on your level of experience or specific skill set but the days of writing your own deals are finished.

Qatar is a boring shithole but i've worked and lived in worse and as always it's only work , a means to an end .

Wherever we are we all leave eventually .
Old Feb 16th 2016, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Hire a cheap car , don't fall into the debt trap until you find your feet . This bit of advice is worth it's weight in gold.
Thanks for the advice there, better be free than tied to a bank
Old Feb 16th 2016, 11:39 am
Just Joined

It's relative to the individual and what he has at this present time . Take into consideration his taxable income and on costs in the UK and what he can gain in the GCC.

We can hire decent guys out of the UK at a decent rate for both parties as the balance changes. What people personally think of Qatar is irrelevant , i worked in Doha for over 5 years and i didn't like the country at all but i didn't need 3x or 4x on top of what i was getting beforehand.

There's a rate of pay for the job / location , you can negotiate slightly on your level of experience or specific skill set but the days of writing your own deals are finished.

Qatar is a boring shithole but i've worked and lived in worse and as always it's only work , a means to an end .

Wherever we are we all leave eventually .
I think a lot of factors make it relevant to ask for a goood package, the security issues in the region, the dusty environment and its effect on health in long term, the cultural issue, the long distance from him, the social services ( unemployment....),pension....

And more importantly it's a shithole where you can't really develop as fast as back home, you agree?
Old Feb 17th 2016, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the advice there, better be free than tied to a bank
Oh yeah, I probably should have mentioned that I'd already been out here most of a year before I took it out, and I'm paying it back well ahead of time just to be safe.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

I think a lot of factors make it relevant to ask for a goood package, the security issues in the region, the dusty environment and its effect on health in long term, the cultural issue, the long distance from him, the social services ( unemployment....),pension....

And more importantly it's a shithole where you can't really develop as fast as back home, you agree?
The only thing you should be developing working in Qatar is your cash reserves for when you exit .

You have zero GCC experience so it's a trade off , as i said before i believe it's not a bad deal and if you could get a touch more then bingo . I don't belive you'll get the percentage of increase you've asked for to be honest.

Don't complicate it , if the figures stack up then come and earn a few bob , gain a bit of experience and see how it goes, it will stand you in decent stead for the next contract. The trouble people have is they think it's forever and get sucked in.

Remember it's only work.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Doha Engineering Job Offer

The only thing you should be developing working in Qatar is your cash reserves for when you exit .

You have zero GCC experience so it's a trade off , as i said before i believe it's not a bad deal and if you could get a touch more then bingo . I don't belive you'll get the percentage of increase you've asked for to be honest.

Don't complicate it , if the figures stack up then come and earn a few bob , gain a bit of experience and see how it goes, it will stand you in decent stead for the next contract. The trouble people have is they think it's forever and get sucked in.

Remember it's only work.
Thanks for the advice, it must be worth it to have a GCC experience in one's CV. I'm still waiting for the guys to come back to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.