Doha conundrum

Old Sep 13th 2015, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

proud_indian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha conundrum

I am in a job in Dubai that pays me ~40K AED a month plus schooling fees and medical insurance for my kids/family. I have been offered a job in Doha that pays me QR 70K per month plus schooling fees and medical insurance for kids/family. My wife is a doctor in Dubai earning decent sum and we are financially OK for our modest standards of living.

I would really like to take up this new job in Doha but plan to keep my family in Dubai. I am quite apprehensive of

1. Being able to fly in and out of Doha every weekend (How doable is that given that one needs employer's permission for exit visa every time? Is it logistically very challenging?)
2. Any GCC wide bans that might be enforced on me shall I find this new job boring and would like to terminate the contract and look for a job in Dubai again

The company employing me is one of the largest MNCs belonging to Qatar govt and I have heard nice things about them but still wondering if the move is worth?

Anyone with similar experience of working in Doha and living in Dubai, if you could please guide me?

Last edited by proud_indian; Sep 13th 2015 at 1:46 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha conundrum

Given the name of this site "BritishExpats" and not "ProudIndianExpats" you may find that there are very few people with your ethnic background who can advise. Remember that different nationalities get treated differently.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 5:15 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Given the name of this site "BritishExpats" and not "ProudIndianExpats" you may find that there are very few people with your ethnic background who can advise. Remember that different nationalities get treated differently.
There might be one person...
Old Sep 14th 2015, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

@ mikewot: You sound racist. How is ethnicity got to do anything with people willing to share experiences with each other. You seem to be living in past dude....wake up to the new world reality. Irrespective of your ethnicity, what matters is substance. Given how you have come across, you don't seem to have any of that. There are far too many successful Indians and Brits (unlike you) in this part of the world who are willing to share their experiences.

Please avoid spreading the venom of "racism" and don't comment on my thread anymore. The world is better without people like you.

Last edited by proud_indian; Sep 14th 2015 at 6:34 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:16 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you've failed to discern the difference between racism and the realism that racism is alive, well and thriving in the ME.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 2:19 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear oh dear. You say you live in Dubai yet you have failed to notice , or even be aware of the differences in how different nationalities are treated by the authorities. Please note I say nationalities and not race.
Personally I could not care if you are purple with tangerine spots. In the ME (and many other countries) your passport matters.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 4:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by proud_indian
I am in a job in Dubai that pays me ~40K AED a month plus schooling fees and medical insurance for my kids/family. I have been offered a job in Doha that pays me QR 70K per month plus schooling fees and medical insurance for kids/family. My wife is a doctor in Dubai earning decent sum and we are financially OK for our modest standards of living.

I would really like to take up this new job in Doha but plan to keep my family in Dubai. I am quite apprehensive of

1. Being able to fly in and out of Doha every weekend (How doable is that given that one needs employer's permission for exit visa every time? Is it logistically very challenging?)
2. Any GCC wide bans that might be enforced on me shall I find this new job boring and would like to terminate the contract and look for a job in Dubai again

The company employing me is one of the largest MNCs belonging to Qatar govt and I have heard nice things about them but still wondering if the move is worth?

Anyone with similar experience of working in Doha and living in Dubai, if you could please guide me?
How much does your wife earn?
Why would you go to Qatar and be apart from the family? Could she / they go with you?
Why would you find the new job boring? Isn't it the same thing as you're currently doing?
Old Sep 15th 2015, 6:49 am
Hit 16's

@ mikewot: You sound racist. How is ethnicity got to do anything with people willing to share experiences with each other. You seem to be living in past dude....wake up to the new world reality. Irrespective of your ethnicity, what matters is substance. Given how you have come across, you don't seem to have any of that. There are far too many successful Indians and Brits (unlike you) in this part of the world who are willing to share their experiences.

Please avoid spreading the venom of "racism" and don't comment on my thread anymore. The world is better without people like you.
What the **** is "Proud-Indian" if not racist? Pride is a belief that you or what you do is better than others or what they do. So you walk on here with a racist handle, then get prissy when someone tries to help. I think a bit of reflection might be called for.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Proud Indian. YOU are the one who brought Racist comments to the post. Having lived and worked in the Arabian Gulf-ME for 15 years I saw the difference between the cultures and the way different nationalities were treated. It is all down to the PASSPORT matey.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:42 am
Just Joined

@Bahtatboy : My post was never intended to get into this argument. Being proud of where one comes from and belongs to isn't demeaning to anyone. It doesn't make one superior to others, it's just the way of life where one appreciates other cultures while retaining an identity.

Anyway, you seem to be taking more piss at my user ID than I ever did with the ethnicity comment.

Last edited by proud_indian; Sep 15th 2015 at 11:00 am.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:55 am
Just Joined

@Scamp: My wife earns as much as I do. My family can move with me to Doha if we decide, but not immediately. There is a licensing process for surgeons, which takes about 6-8 months plus my wife is in middle of a contract which she doesn't want to break. That takes us to Mid 2017. My daughter is in a very good school here and getting her into a school in Doha will be challenging as well, specially in the middle of term. Besides, we have been living in Dubai for last 4 years and have loved every bit of it. We aren't so sure of Doha but we could be completely wrong.

I tend to get bored of jobs pretty soon. The charm and challenge dies down every couple of years and I look for another challenge, at times in completely different industries. I have been taking breaks between jobs to do random stuff such as consulting with UNDP, NGOs, African Union, Planning Commissions etc.

If you can share any experiences of working in Doha and living in Dubai.......or heard from someone, that will be of immense help. Thanks!

Last edited by proud_indian; Sep 15th 2015 at 11:40 am.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 11:34 am
Just Joined

@ mikewot: I apologize if I got you wrong. Honest mistake.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

@Scamp: My wife earns as much as I do. My family can move with me to Doha if we decide, but not immediately. There is a licensing process for surgeons, which takes about 6-8 months plus my wife is in middle of a contract which she doesn't want to break. That takes us to Mid 2017. My daughter is in a very good school here and getting her into a school in Doha will be challenging as well, specially in the middle of term. Besides, we have been living in Dubai for last 4 years and have loved every bit of it. We aren't so sure of Doha but we could be completely wrong.

I tend to get bored of jobs pretty soon. The charm and challenge dies down every couple of years and I look for another challenge, at times in completely different industries. I have been taking breaks between jobs to do random stuff such as consulting with UNDP, NGOs, African Union, Planning Commissions etc.

If you can share any experiences of working in Doha and living in Dubai.......or heard from someone, that will be of immense help. Thanks!
I think you should stay put mate. 30k is a big chunk of cash, granted, but your wife and family can't move, you'll (as a family) be running two homes which will suck a lot of your extra cash out and you'll limit the amount you see them.

I literally see zero benefit apart from staving off your boredom. At which point, perhaps another job in Dubai should be first option and only after you consider potential for future employers to look at your potentially perceived instability and not want to hire you or pay that well because a worrying trend appears of you getting bored and buggering off? Just a polite warning.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

@Scamp: Thanks mate! I am reaching to a similar conclusion too. And yes, I get that comment on instability quite a lot!
Old Sep 19th 2015, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe they would pay an Indian that much

You'd get a half decent English bloke who knew what he was doing or 3 pakistanis for that

Plent of beaches and desserts to throw shit and food cartons on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.