Does UAE just run slower?

Old May 28th 2014, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does UAE just run slower?

I'm currently in talks with a senior manager of a global company in Abu Dhabi, but finding it quite frustrating how slowly things are moving.

I had an interview over the phone, but it was cancelled/rebooked four times. It seemed to go well and I was informed they would be interested in setting up a 2nd interview. I emailed after the call to say thank you and ask about next steps, but that was now over a week ago and I haven't heard anything.

I've heard that things simply run slower over there compared to the "24 hour turnaround" I'm used to in London. Do you think that's the case here? Am I going to offend anyone by chasing up on my last email?
Old May 28th 2014, 10:36 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does UAE just run slower?

Different companies run at different speeds. Different HR departments crawl at different speeds. Different nationalities follow up at different speeds. Normal rules may not apply.

An enthusiastic, positive follow-up email is unlikely to cause offence, but do consider the nationality of the person who interviewed you / you'd be writing to. Cultural differences abound.
Old May 28th 2014, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. The guy's from London (as am I) so there's no direct cultural difference, but I just worry (probably needlessly) that if the rest of the company runs far more slowly he'd just get frustrated with my nagging him when it's not his fault!

I'll wait a couple more days then follow up, I think cheers for the reassurance.
Old May 29th 2014, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by driftingaway
I'm currently in talks with a senior manager of a global company in Abu Dhabi, but finding it quite frustrating how slowly things are moving.

I had an interview over the phone, but it was cancelled/rebooked four times. It seemed to go well and I was informed they would be interested in setting up a 2nd interview. I emailed after the call to say thank you and ask about next steps, but that was now over a week ago and I haven't heard anything.

I've heard that things simply run slower over there compared to the "24 hour turnaround" I'm used to in London. Do you think that's the case here? Am I going to offend anyone by chasing up on my last email?
yep things run slower here, and ramadan is a coming which makes it even worse.