Doctor in Qatar??

Old Dec 30th 2015, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Tonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Doctor in Qatar??

Originally Posted by radiodoc
I agree with Tihami.
I was treated pretty off handedly and abruptly by HMC probably they mistook me for a ward boy even though the email said senior consultant.
Submitted my CV---then without anyone speaking to me about the job detail--- HR asked to come over for a locum----offered to pay peanuts for the month long locum (much less than the substantive salary for an NHS consultant).When I asked to speak to someone there about what I'd be doing there for the month or asked for a higher salary---no reply,total silence.
In the background of all this negotiations ,(unfortunately)was an ex -UK Consultant from another allied speciality (on their payroll) emailing me and selling the job as 'tax free' haven with 'free accomodation' and 'free food' and 'lots of sun'.
I think there is a mismatch in perceptions somewhere on both sides -where one side thinks disgruntled dumb western doctors are queuing up to make more money so lets sign up whoever we can on cheap rates.
I would shudder to work in a place like this .
I said a polite 'no' as the salaries despite being tax free are in some ways lower and even if higher in numbers is negated by the higher cost of living and second class status (which is evident by the attitude before even joining a post).
I hope this helps others.This site is very handy I must say as I sign out- thanks for everybody's help.
)

As yet I haven't had any dealings with the HR department, but all other contact with HMC staff has been entirely professional.
I have never worked outwith UK, though I think it is commonly accepted that things are perhaps processed with less haste than what we are used to in the UK.
I hope I don't offend anyone, but I have had similarly frustrating experiences with HR departments in NHS hospitals along the way.

Again, it's clearly an individual package/decision but for purposes of clarity, the package that I have been offered is significantly more lucrative than I earn here in the UK (and I have what I would deem a very good income currently), even when deducting some additional burdens/cost of living expenses etc

Anyway, decisions, decisions. I'm still undecided though I plan to make a trip to Doha to suss things out. Too big a leap for me and my family without it.

I'm happy, and would welcome, discussion/chat with anyone who is similarly pondering the move.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

tihami is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tonk
Hi Thiami

I'm a little perplexed by your comments above. Are you suggesting that they are likely to be cutting back their expansion plans? Is this speculative or have you seen evidence of this? My understanding was that the primary care restructuring, and the mobile GP service, was an absolute priority. Is their job insecurity among the Drs?

Without hopefully sounding too crass, I was viewing the drop in oil prices, and cuts in oil industry jobs etc, as potentially improving access to school places etc.
There is a lot of confusion at the moment. They have just terminated all the drs above 60, paramedics above 55 and most of the non-clinical staff with 2 months notice.
There is also reduction of few of the allowances that drs were getting over the last year.
There is never a job security in MiddleEast anyway. They may or may not have any further cuts this year, but if the oil price remains low or drop further down, it may cause more cuts.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

As yet I haven't had any dealings with the HR department, but all other contact with HMC staff has been entirely professional.
I have never worked outwith UK, though I think it is commonly accepted that things are perhaps processed with less haste than what we are used to in the UK.
I hope I don't offend anyone, but I have had similarly frustrating experiences with HR departments in NHS hospitals along the way.

Again, it's clearly an individual package/decision but for purposes of clarity, the package that I have been offered is significantly more lucrative than I earn here in the UK (and I have what I would deem a very good income currently), even when deducting some additional burdens/cost of living expenses etc

Anyway, decisions, decisions. I'm still undecided though I plan to make a trip to Doha to suss things out. Too big a leap for me and my family without it.

I'm happy, and would welcome, discussion/chat with anyone who is similarly pondering the move.
It will be a good idea to visit Doha before taking the final decision. Doha is a lovely place to live and work in..Savings are much better than in UK. Only issue is instability at the moment. again HMC has cut down few of the allowances of the drs recently and further are on the way.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Gp15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 9:24 am
Just Joined

smarties07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tihami,

how easy is it to apply for a family residence visa. I have emailed the interior ministry as I would also like to invite my mother to stay with us and help us out.

I have received an offer but have some specific questions; I presume posting a few times will allow me to PM you with specifics.

what is the accommodation like?

posting 3 times may allow me to PM you....

how is the workload compared to the UK in real terms, you talk about approx 15 min appts, are the patients registered or all walk-ins?

Last edited by mikewot; Jan 19th 2016 at 1:24 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The chances of getting a reply from the Ministry of the Interior are zero. That is not how they do things.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tihami
There is a lot of confusion at the moment. They have just terminated all the drs above 60, paramedics above 55 and most of the non-clinical staff with 2 months notice.
There is also reduction of few of the allowances that drs were getting over the last year.
There is never a job security in MiddleEast anyway. They may or may not have any further cuts this year, but if the oil price remains low or drop further down, it may cause more cuts.
Thankyou Tihami for your helpful posts on this, and throughout this thread. Very useful!
Old Jan 20th 2016, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Abu Eesa is an unknown quantity at this point

Salam Tonk - I have accepted an offer from Qatar and will inshallah be moving there in May. I am a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist.

I recently visited Doha as my brother has moved there in December. My sister in law is a GP and has started working for PHCC. She tells me that PHCC are reducing salaries/packages due to the economic downturn.

Happy to help/advise if needed.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Just hold on any plans to move. They have asked drs to cancel their flights just 2 days before their travel dates. There will be restructuring of the system here.

Originally Posted by smarties07
Hi Tihami,

how easy is it to apply for a family residence visa. I have emailed the interior ministry as I would also like to invite my mother to stay with us and help us out.

I have received an offer but have some specific questions; I presume posting a few times will allow me to PM you with specifics.

what is the accommodation like?

posting 3 times may allow me to PM you....

how is the workload compared to the UK in real terms, you talk about approx 15 min appts, are the patients registered or all walk-ins?
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Abu Eesa
Salam Tonk - I have accepted an offer from Qatar and will inshallah be moving there in May. I am a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist.

I recently visited Doha as my brother has moved there in December. My sister in law is a GP and has started working for PHCC. She tells me that PHCC are reducing salaries/packages due to the economic downturn.

Wa-Alaikum-Salaam Abu Eesa - best of luck with your move! Will you be working with HMC? Or is it a private clinic?
Having some family already in a Doha will really help your transition I'd imagine.
Are you taking any children/family?

Quite a concern all the talk of downscaling packages/restructuring/lay-offs etc

Extra uncertainty isn't really what I need when considering this move! However it's fantastic to get this information.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Abu Eesa

Abu Eesa. Who are your brother and sister in law? Aif you don't mind me asking.
I may know them as I am working for PHCC as well
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

@ Tonk - whats happening with your offer? Have they out it on hold?
No I am not going to be working for HMC. It is another hospital.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

@ Tihami - I will PM you
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tihami
Just hold on any plans to move. They have asked drs to cancel their flights just 2 days before their travel dates. There will be restructuring of the system here.
My offer is with the Mobile Doctor Service, not PHCC, do you know if their are similar concerns within this service?
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

My offer is with the Mobile Doctor Service, not PHCC, do you know if their are similar concerns within this service?
may be more. make sure you don't resign from the UK job just now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.