Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Diabetes - coping in the ME

Diabetes - coping in the ME

Old Apr 26th 2015, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Diabetes - coping in the ME

I have been diabetic for many years and spent long periods in the ME coping with the condition. In my spell with Saudi Arabian Airlines (1996-2002) I concealed the fact that I was diabetic. Company policy was to terminate foreign employees with this condition.

With another employer (KFUPM in Dhahran) my experience was different. They were much more enlightened and I was quite open about the condition. While I was working in Dhahran I started using insulin

Of course KSA is seeing an epidemic of diabetes with high prevalence of both Type 1 and Type 2.

I would be curious to hear how others have coped.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Jollyjerm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Diabetes - coping in the ME

They can terminate foreign employees with diabetes???
Old Jun 6th 2015, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diabetes - coping in the ME

Sure. Your best hope is that you can serve out your contract and then it will not be renewed. In some cases they will terminate you before the end of the contract.

Remember that in KSA all foreigners are on contract and that generally the Labour Law is stacked against the employee.

I was fortunate with KFUPM - a government university. They had no objection to an employee having diabetes. The Airline were not so liberal.

Last edited by scot47; Jun 6th 2015 at 5:21 pm.