Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Desired salary vs cost of living - Doha

Desired salary vs cost of living - Doha

Old Jul 16th 2012, 7:29 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desired salary vs cost of living - Doha

Originally Posted by vasio
Guys, the more i read about it the more confused i become.

I have been offered 40k QR/month, all inclusive package.

Apart from covering my running costs - accomodation, car, food, bills I would have to pay out from that the costs for the visa, flights and medical for my wife.

Reading through the posts it seems like a good deal but according to others not that good.

Any one care to share an oppinion ?
Sure. If you're going to be paid that much, I'd think you can use search functions on websites. Or indeed, consider that we don't know you and your expectations.

If you make liquid cooled supercomputers and are one of the only 2 people in the world that can do what you do - no - I think that's a poor offer and I'd suggest renegotiation and asking for a spell checker.

If you make tea - it sounds great.

Hint - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762609

Good luck.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point

So what happened with runningscared and Nevets, what did you guys settle for and whether you think its adequate?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

runningscared is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for the quiet - have been digging my way through the Qatari immigration process, new job, accomm etc.

Settled for matching London. It'll do but given how nasty things seem to be in London, it's not quite as bad as it could be. Would suspect if I had wife and kids etc, would not be sustainable.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks runningscared. For me its quite similar at the end of the day. At 68k GBP (after tax - in the UK) and settled for 100k GBP in Qatar. But then, my interest only mortgage in the UK is 500 GBP while cost of apartment in Qatar seems like will be around 2000 GBP, so it somewhat nets off - hoping other costs would be less (food + gas, etc) leaving me with a little bit more than London.

Couldn't agree more with you about how bad things are out here in London. Seems like about 3 to 4 years stint in Qatar till things get better here would be a better option.

Besides, all of my colleagues are asking me to hook them up when I am there, goes to show that I am not the only pessimistic one.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Out of interest..currently going through this process myself..I might have landed a job that pays less but location and job combined make up for it I think. It's a pretty senior role to hold for someone at my level, pay is on a local high paid stature in the Caribbean, plus free house and car. Overall, no matter how I twist and turn it, the offer is lower than what I have, though I think I can save more overall as my biggest expenses dont exist..house and car. Now do I say yes and live on the beach in a comfortable house or stay and earn more money and a lesser title? In many ways, its the total opposite of Doha..I'd need big money to go there. Thoughts anyone? Cause I am so so close to say yes without putting up a fight. I'm also quite young'ish for such a role.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 6:54 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Out of interest..currently going through this process myself..I might have landed a job that pays less but location and job combined make up for it I think. It's a pretty senior role to hold for someone at my level, pay is on a local high paid stature in the Caribbean, plus free house and car. Overall, no matter how I twist and turn it, the offer is lower than what I have, though I think I can save more overall as my biggest expenses dont exist..house and car. Now do I say yes and live on the beach in a comfortable house or stay and earn more money and a lesser title? In many ways, its the total opposite of Doha..I'd need big money to go there. Thoughts anyone? Cause I am so so close to say yes without putting up a fight. I'm also quite young'ish for such a role.
I'm sure the standard of living costs are a lot cheaper then the Middle East. Only you can decide, but I would be inclined to go for Caribbean.

Just don't get shot.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kix
I'm sure the standard of living costs are a lot cheaper then the Middle East. Only you can decide, but I would be inclined to go for Caribbean.

Just don't get shot.
Hence my thinking of saving more money, albeit being paid less. I'm very well befriended with the place in question, my old man lives there and has a gun anyway..sure he can get me one if I ask and can't afford..anyway, nto a big gun crime area..too far away from Haiti and too many whites in the area. I'm all too eager to say yes, just don't want a bad decision to be influenced by temporary blindness and general ecstasy..but yeah, how much would you move for I guess? Doha = alot, Caribbean = comfortable?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:10 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Hence my thinking of saving more money, albeit being paid less. I'm very well befriended with the place in question, my old man lives there and has a gun anyway..sure he can get me one if I ask and can't afford..anyway, nto a big gun crime area..too far away from Haiti and too many whites in the area. I'm all too eager to say yes, just don't want a bad decision to be influenced by temporary blindness and general ecstasy..but yeah, how much would you move for I guess? Doha = alot, Caribbean = comfortable?
Exactly.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kix
Exactly.
haha..internet mysterious person, you just made my decision a whole lot easier.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:25 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

haha..internet mysterious person, you just made my decision a whole lot easier.
Makes total sense to me - and you can get some decent ganja....
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:05 am
Just Joined

bravefish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Sorry for butting in - just a question along similar lines - currently on GBP60k in the UK as an accountant. Have been offered QAR17,500 per month. Unlike the others though housing, medical, kids school is provided by the company so I won't have to pay for that.

Having read the comments about QAR50,000 for a UK 65k- this seems low - but would appreciate comments.

(ps I would be coming with wife and infant son)

__

Another way of looking at it - After my fixed Uk costs I estimate I will have GBP 1200 left over for Qatar based expenses - around 4500 QAR. Is this enough to live on (considering housing/schooling/medical/utilities are paid for by the company). We're not big spenders and don't drink or eat out

Last edited by bravefish; Aug 7th 2012 at 10:35 am.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bravefish
Hi All,
Sorry for butting in - just a question along similar lines - currently on GBP60k in the UK as an accountant. Have been offered QAR17,500 per month. Unlike the others though housing, medical, kids school is provided by the company so I won't have to pay for that.

Having read the comments about QAR50,000 for a UK 65k- this seems low - but would appreciate comments.
Yes , it's low but you also need to quantify the benefits .

Housing could mean a 1 bedroom shithole in Wakra or a 5 bedroom Westbay Lagoon villa .

Get everything broken down and quantified and post it up .
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

soji is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I'm new on here and I've just had a phone call from an O and G company in Doha about a job I am interested in.

I need help as to know what a good package will be.

A bit of about me:

Being working in O and G for about 8 years in IT functions, mostly as a day rate contractor and I typically earn anything between 400 to 700 quid a day (depending on the actual role)

Over the last five years, I've grossed at least 120k each year. Bearing in mind I am a contractor, I don't particularly have a net pay as it all depends on my accountant's ability to enable me pay as little tax as is legal.

I've got what can be considered a nice lifestyle in London but my kind of work is getting tougher to find, hence the reason I'm considering a permanent role in Doha.

What is an ideal package for someone such as me. I'm married and I've got two young kids, the older one about to start school in a few weeks and will be privately educated here in London at a really good school.

I've got all the toys of someone supposedly doing well here in England is expected to have, but like I say, the forecast isn't great.

I've been told that accommodation, health insurance, schooling and housing and an interest free car loan will be included in my package but....what will be a decent reasonable amount of money to ask for?

I understand accommodation is quite expensive out there in Doha, I currently live in a four bed semi in North London, meaning I'd ideally need a villa in a decent location.

In my mind, bearing in mind my current income, I'd ideally like at least 50 to 60k QAR monthly.

Is that too much to ask?

Is that possible?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bravefish
Hi All,

(ps I would be coming with wife and infant son)

__

Another way of looking at it - After my fixed Uk costs I estimate I will have GBP 1200 left over for Qatar based expenses - around 4500 QAR. Is this enough to live on (considering housing/schooling/medical/utilities are paid for by the company). We're not big spenders and don't drink or eat out
If you are on GBP 60k before tax then your qatar offer is VERY GOOD. If you are on 60k GBP in UK after tax, then its low.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Scottiebloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AirBender
If you are on GBP 60k before tax then your qatar offer is VERY GOOD. If you are on 60k GBP in UK after tax, then its low.
You're kidding right? I'd have thought he should be looking for at least QAR 30K salary plus benefits, from what I've been reading in this forum!

Regards
SB

Last edited by Scottiebloke; Sep 5th 2012 at 10:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.