Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Definition of 30 'calendar days' annual leave

Definition of 30 'calendar days' annual leave

Old May 30th 2014, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Benny80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Definition of 30 'calendar days' annual leave

Can anyone clarify the definition of 'Calendar Days' annual leave please?

I've got a job offer in Dubai with 30 calendar days annual leave and have done a little Google research to try clarify what that means but I'm still confused.

I could ask the company what their definition of it is but if its something standard and well understood in the UAE i don't want to look like a muppet. Thanks ;-)
Old May 30th 2014, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Definition of 30 'calendar days' annual leave

Different companies have different policies. For me, I get 30 calendar days which translates as 22 working days holiday a year. Best to check with the company as every company is different- ask them to clearly clarify the number of working days you can take. However, they won't change the wording in your contract so the policy could change at any given time so it kind of means jack anyway.

KC
Old May 30th 2014, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Different companies have different policies. For me, I get 30 calendar days which translates as 22 working days holiday a year. Best to check with the company as every company is different- ask them to clearly clarify the number of working days you can take. However, they won't change the wording in your contract so the policy could change at any given time so it kind of means jack anyway.

KC
Thanks KC! That's helpful advice.

Cheers!
Old Jun 1st 2014, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I have the same policy. It is reasonably straight forward when one understands. Start counting from the first working day you are absent, and stop at the last one. Everything in between, including weekends and holidays, counts as leave. So if you depart Thurs night, they won't count the Fri and Sat, but will start on the Sunday. If you get back during the following weekend, then they won't count it either, but if you go into the second working week then they will.
One full week = 5 days.
Weds - Tues = 2 + 2 (weekend) + 3 = 7 days.
Two full weeks = 5 + 2 + 5 = 12 days. Etc...

I think that is fairly standard for local companies, but best check.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Archie, Thanks I appreciate you taking the time. It's good to have the explanation.

If i get the same deal as what you describe i will be a little better off than my current job in Qatar where I get 22 working days.