Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

In the dark about teaching in Saudi

In the dark about teaching in Saudi

Old Oct 13th 2015, 5:43 am
Just Joined

nellyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In the dark about teaching in Saudi

I am considering going to Saudi in 6 month's time to teach for 2 years, and I am looking for some up to date information about preparation for teaching there

I would be grateful for any advice

I understand that the teaching method is generally rote and grammar instruction, but can anybody tell me the most common types of books that are used (interchange etc)

How serious is grading or do you simply have to pass everybody?

Do students participate in classes or do you only teach to "the few"

Is lesson planning expected or do you just use the books?

Are there any companies or schools to avoid and any that you would choose as a preference

Will my lack of teaching adults be a big hurdle

These are the types of thing I am interested in, but any advice would be appreciated. I have 6 months to get ready for any shocks that I may encounter, and would like to get ready for them as soon as possible.

A little about my self. I am a 50 year old UK national with a degree in TESOL and I have been teaching primary and secondary English in Thailand (where I also earned my degree) for 5 years. I have a TEFL cert .I am married, but I would be traveling alone.

Cheers
Old Oct 13th 2015, 7:32 am
Just Joined

F1z9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: In the dark about teaching in Saudi

Originally Posted by nellyp
I am considering going to Saudi in 6 month's time to teach for 2 years, and I am looking for some up to date information about preparation for teaching there

(Saudi Arabia is welcoming you my dear)

I understand that the teaching method is generally rote and grammar instruction, but can anybody tell me the most common types of books that are used (interchange etc)
(Depends on what college/university/schools "private ? Government? International school?" Each have specific curriculum to teach students.
Also depends on what you are going to teach, math? English Lang?..)

( from my experience as I'm a Saudi nationality who borned and grow up in Saudi Arabia "Riyadh", you would fine as long as there is no complians from students at all,)

Schools and universities are bealiving in student participation during classes and part of module mark goes to participation, but again it depends on who you are going to teach !)

Some have booklets for students and forcing the staff to teach only this curriculum, some is asking you to praper PowerPoint slides and review it with your manger befor you start any classes.)

Are there any companies or schools to avoid and any that you would choose as a preference
What city ? I'm from Riyadh and would say try to avoid international schools "7 years and above", I advise you to have a contract with any universities "For example Saudi electronic university", for some reasons 1-High rate of salary. 2- less classes than international schools. 3- less headache than teaching children under 13 years old.)

These are the types of thing I am interested in, but any advice would be appreciated. I have 6 months to get ready for any shocks that I may encounter, and would like to get ready for them as soon as possible.

( Don't be worry, there is nothing deserve to make you shocked and very happy to help)

A little about my self. I am a 50 year old UK national with a degree in TESOL and I have been teaching primary and secondary English in Thailand (where I also earned my degree) for 5 years. I have a TEFL cert .I am married, but I would be traveling alone.

( Nice to see an introduction about you and hope to see you start your journey very soon)

Cheers
am considering going to Saudi in 6 month's time to teach for 2 years, and I am looking for some up to date information about preparation for teaching there

(Depends on what college/university/schools "private ? Government? International school?" Each have specific curriculum to teach students.

( from my experience as I'm a Saudi nationality who borned and grow up in Saudi Arabia "Riyadh", you would fine as long as there is no complians from students at all,)

Schools and universities are bealiving in student participation during classes and part of module mark goes to participation, but again it depends on who you are going to teach !)

Some have booklets for students and forcing the staff to teach only this curriculum, some is asking you to praper PowerPoint slides and review it with your manger befor you start any classes.)

What city ? I'm from Riyadh and would say try to avoid international schools "7 years and above", I advise you to have a contract with any universities "For example Saudi electronic university", for some reasons 1-High rate of salary. 2- less classes than international schools. 3- less headache than teaching children under 13 years old.)

( Don't be worry, there is nothing deserve to make you shocked and very happy to help)

( Nice to see an introduction about you and hope to see you start your journey very soon)

Cheers
Old Oct 13th 2015, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by F1z9
am considering going to Saudi in 6 month's time to teach for 2 years, and I am looking for some up to date information about preparation for teaching there

Cheers
Thank you for the feedback. I assume I will be teaching English as that is the degree I have, though I have been teaching science and maths in Thailand a am adept at teaching science to primary student as well as secondary, ny Maths may not be good enough for anything over mid secondary though. The type of institution doesn't really worry me, though I would like to teach older students

Preparing power points would be no problem as I enjoy using them in class, but they do take me longer to prepare than a class with paper worksheets etc. This is why I would like to know about the use of books as some schools here in Thailand work only from the books

Again I am not worried about the school's location, I am more interested in knowing what establishments to avoid. I do not want the heartache of worrying about pay and support when teaching and adapting to a new country

Thanks again for the feed back
Old Oct 13th 2015, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll need to describe a specific job you are applying for to get any meaningful info here I'm afraid. Things differ quite markedly from position to position.

What you can almost definitely count on though is poor behaviour through to threatening behaviour depending on how much you attempt to enforce whatever supposed disciplinary system your employer deludes themselves into believing can be implemented.

You can also count on pretty awful materials. Very few western produced materials work in Saudi because they contain images/themes that are haram. In house materials or adapted materials are usually pretty grim.

You say you want to be here in six months teaching. Bear in mind that it is very common for the process post-interview to arrival to take that long (unless they cut corners and bring you in on an illegal business visa). If you really want to be here anytime before summer 2016, you need to be interviewing now.

Might be best to come back and post here when you've a specific job to enquire about. Even better, register so you can post on Job Discussion Forums :: View Forum - Saudi Arabia
Old Oct 13th 2015, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I really have no idea of the job I will go for or get, but the info on materials is definitely a start for me as I didn't consider the images issues. Can I assume that I will need to just use the materials given then?

Do the behaviour issues go right through the system and include adult classes? I would ideally like to teach adults, but I have only done so on a limited scale at present. Perhaps a language school would be better suited to me because of this, and hopefully the behaviour would be better too.

I am surprised at the time it takes to become employed too, especially as I had jobs sent me from Seriousseachers.com that were to start ion the new term and were at the most 1 month away; some stating immediate starts.

To be honest I realise that it is difficult to give specifics, but I am trying to build an overall picture, and your info was ideal.

I will post my thread on the link you gave too.

Thanks again
Old Oct 13th 2015, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Opportunities are different for men and women. Two entirely different job markets. Education in KSA is gender-segregated.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Opportunities are different for men and women. Two entirely different job markets. Education in KSA is gender-segregated.

I am male and understand the complications that could arise being female, which is why I would travel alone and not expose my wife to those complications.

Thanks