Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Which city in Egypt would be better?

Which city in Egypt would be better?

Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:19 am
Just Joined

travelinhobo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which city in Egypt would be better?

Hi- I'm an experienced ESL teacher who gives private lessons in Mexico City. I'm researching which country will be my next and have decided upon the mid-east. I've read a lot and have decided Egypt, Jordan, Tunisia, Turkey or Lebanon. About Egypt... I'm wondering what city you guys would suggest as being better for living and finding English work? I'm not interested in living in Cairo (there can't be 2 Mexico Cities in one lifetime). I've read Alex has cooler weather, tho it sounds a bit boring.

What am I looking for? Job possibilities in language schools and/or private classes (no grade schools, public or private), decent weather (not anything too extreme), friendly locals (minimal xenophobia, anti-americanism, rudeness, etc.), availability for finding roommates or renting a room in a house. I'm looking for a much smaller city than here (20M), quieter, but still interesting. I'll be learning the language before I arrive. Any input is welcomed and appreciated. Also, if any of you have experience in the other countries I mentioned, feel free to input. thanks
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which city in Egypt would be better?

Beirut or Istanbul would be my pick of the destinations mentioned. Need to keep an eye on political developments in former.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Amman, is quite nice and liveable - I've always liked the people. They like Americans.

I'm in Cairo at the moment... I have no idea how anyone could live there.

Turkey - loads of slimy men.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:24 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would prefer Istanbul over anything in Egypt. Cost of living is apparently pretty low, the food excellent and the young Turk crowd very friendly and rather pro-western (there is a conservative Turkish element but its strength varies from neighbourhood to neighbourhood in Istanbul). The nightlife is said to be hoppin'.

Millie likes Amman which says quite a bit about him. Then again he lives in Arabian Ranches too. If you want a quiet and placid place Amman may cut the cake. Unlike Cairo it's clean and rather functional.

But as with anywhere in the Middle East you need to be careful around Arab/Turkish men. Some are great, the bulk are slimy.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

yep also Amman as Millie Vanilli says.

and a leftfield suggestion - Jeddah, KSA.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

travelinhobo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies - keep them coming. I'm not interested in Istanbul because it's too large (I'm currently in Mexico City and one MC in a lifetime is enough) and I've already been there. It was hit or miss to me. For the person who doesn't know why anyone would live in Cairo, although I haven't been, probably the same though would apply to MC. However, the reason why I'm still living here is because every day is different and this city is NEVER boring. Crazy and zany yes. But never boring.

I have crossed Jordan off my list (sorry) due to the cost of living and the necessity of having a car. But yes, it seems like a nice place to live!

As for the slimy men... ha ha. Turkey should be different than any other country?? Men are men. Every 8 seconds.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelinhobo
Thanks for the replies - keep them coming. I'm not interested in Istanbul because it's too large (I'm currently in Mexico City and one MC in a lifetime is enough) and I've already been there. It was hit or miss to me. For the person who doesn't know why anyone would live in Cairo, although I haven't been, probably the same though would apply to MC. However, the reason why I'm still living here is because every day is different and this city is NEVER boring. Crazy and zany yes. But never boring.

I have crossed Jordan off my list (sorry) due to the cost of living and the necessity of having a car. But yes, it seems like a nice place to live!

As for the slimy men... ha ha. Turkey should be different than any other country?? Men are men. Every 8 seconds.
The only problem with Egypt really is the people...

so you have crossed off the major cities of Jordan, Turkey and Egypt... only Tunisia on your list left! Do you speak french?

What about Morocco?

I would say that you need a car in any of these places, apart from taxis there are no public transport systems and it's not possible to walk anywhere really.