Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Teaching in the Middle East?

Teaching in the Middle East?

Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

12am is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in the Middle East?

Hi everyone,

I'm an English graduate with quite a bit of informal teaching experience, but no teaching qualification as such.

Would anybody happen to know whether/where it might be possible for me to land a teaching job in the Middle East without teaching certification?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice
Default Re: Teaching in the Middle East?

You could teach English as a language, but most places would require a TEFOL qualification. Other than that no school would recruit somebody with no teaching qualifications. There are too many alternative prospective employees with the qualifications and experience up against you.

You would need to do a PGCE which is universally accepted as a good teaching qualification. Some places may just accept that without completion of an induction year (as you would go through in the UK) but why take on you over somebody with years of experience, maybe even with SLT position experience?
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:18 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in the Middle East?

There might be some schools in Egypt, but salary would be low in the schools likely to, and it would probably be a local school (ie full of rowdy, out of control Egyptian children)

Most other ME countries are unlikely to give you a work permit without a proper teaching qualification.