California Compound Rydha

Old Feb 6th 2016, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

PPM50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default California Compound Rydha

Hi,

I apologise if this has already been asked. I have been offered what appears to be a good Job Offer in IT in Riyadh. The company have said they will provide accommodation in the California Compound in Riyadh. Does any one have experience of living in this compound and what it is like. My wife is planning to move with me eventually as this is a permanent role.

Also would any one have any advice about living / working in Saudi in IT? Is it worth the lifestyle change? What's the hardest bit to adjusting out there?

Also I have been told strictly no alcohol including in After Shave etc? Is this true?

Any information you can give me would help. Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2016, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Compound Rydha

I've not been onto that Compound, it's very new, and has only just been completed within the last year. It's in an area that already has several other compounds, and is generally in the district which is close to Exit 8 off the main Ring Road, so it's a good location. Close to the Ring Road to access the City and around 20 mins away from the airport.

As far as I know, it is all apartments, of differing sizes, ranging from 1 bed to 3 bed apartments, so it will be a very busy place. I'm sure it has its own web site, so worth a Google search.

In terms of IT, to be frank most of the IT guys here are from India, so who seems quite well clued up and who will be far cheaper to employ than Europeans / Brits / Americans. What aspect of IT exactly?

Strictly no alchohol means strictly no to bringing it into the country. Saudi is officially a dry country, it is not sold anywhere legally. The only place you can get it, is at the official Embassies, and access to those is usually by tickets / knowing someone. The British Embassy often has social events , it's not hard to get hold of tickets.

Doesn't apply to aftershaves, they sell shed loads of perfume / after shaves here, so that's just scare mongering. Once you're here, you'll find there is quite an active 'home brew' market around, I'm sure you'll find a local dealer quite shortly - but seriously, you have to ask if Saudi is the place for you if you're that dependent upon alcohol.

Hardest adjustment I found was the pace of work, tends to be so different to what I used to back home (UK). The work culture is also very different, hard to describe succinctly, but depends where you're currently working - your post doesn't stay. The Middle East in general has it's own idiosyncrasies.