Being a Consultant

Old May 11th 2014, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Being a Consultant

OK my first ask in this hallowed forum 'cause I don't got the faintest idea, other than having been 'done to' by consultants.
I am currently employed on a permanent contract with a company in Dubai which has a large expat skillbase because of the skillset. I have only ever been an employee, either the military or big companies. A large local airlines recruiter has approached me with an offer of 'Consultancy work in the ME'. Questions for me, which I'm hoping you esteemed members can give sensible answers to instead of ripping the urine are things like:
a) Would I have to start up my own 'business'?
b) Do my own healthcover?
c) Sort out my own visa?
d) What extras do I need moneywise over & above my current salary?
e) Anything else I've forgotten about?

Thanks in anticipation of your crumbs of wisdom
Mike
Old May 12th 2014, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being a Consultant

Originally Posted by mikewot
OK my first ask in this hallowed forum 'cause I don't got the faintest idea, other than having been 'done to' by consultants.
I am currently employed on a permanent contract with a company in Dubai which has a large expat skillbase because of the skillset. I have only ever been an employee, either the military or big companies. A large local airlines recruiter has approached me with an offer of 'Consultancy work in the ME'. Questions for me, which I'm hoping you esteemed members can give sensible answers to instead of ripping the urine are things like:
a) Would I have to start up my own 'business'?
b) Do my own healthcover?
c) Sort out my own visa?
d) What extras do I need moneywise over & above my current salary?
e) Anything else I've forgotten about?

Thanks in anticipation of your crumbs of wisdom
Mike
I have a friend that consults for one of the big freight forwarders. He reckons the only difference is that you tend to be on a relatively short term (+/-6months) renewable contract. He reckons he has an uplift of 60-70% on what he would normally expect to be paid. They sort out his visas and health, however any leave would be unpaid.