Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:54 am
Just Joined

koder1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Originally Posted by travelin
Could you please tell us if everything was included in rent or had to pay electric and TV, internet and so on. Also, what is the budget for food, is it expensive? I am trying to figure it out monthly expenses.

Thank you so much for any help.
At PMU, if you accept PMU housing, my understanding is that you have to pay for electricity, but cable TV and internet are included / paid for by PMU. There's also a shuttle to and from the compound to the university and 3x per week to a local mall, where you could buy food and so forth.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

MSahler is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone heard back regarding the visa situation? I accepted an offer months ago and have yet to receive anything. Have emailed back and forth with HR and they told me in April that I should be receiving the contract shortly but last month they told me they were having some visa problems and would contact me once resolved...still nothing. I'm not sure how long the visa process will take but I have heard horror stories. A bit worried...
Old Jun 11th 2014, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MSahler
Has anyone heard back regarding the visa situation? I accepted an offer months ago and have yet to receive anything. Have emailed back and forth with HR and they told me in April that I should be receiving the contract shortly but last month they told me they were having some visa problems and would contact me once resolved...still nothing. I'm not sure how long the visa process will take but I have heard horror stories. A bit worried...
I am in a similar situation, more or less, and it sounds like at least one other person on this forum is as well.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by koder1
I am in a similar situation, more or less, and it sounds like at least one other person on this forum is as well.
I think their HR department are quite unorganized. A friend of mine who used to work there got held up for months with visa problems. Glad to know we are not alone but I hope that there will be some clarity soon!
Old Jul 1st 2014, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

VictorBC is an unknown quantity at this point

@MSaher. Hello, did you hear anything from PMU? Any development. I am in the same situation. I was also told that they were having some visa problems. deeply worried!
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Unfortunately, I have emailed them twice since posting here and no reply whatsoever, which I find quite bizarre. I don't understand what the hold up is and why they seem to be ignoring my emails. I last heard from them mid-May. I also emailed the recruiter who worked on their behalf to find me and she did not reply as well. With only 6 weeks left I don't see how we can process their visa, which requires massive amounts of medical testing and verification of documents from the Saudi Cultural Mission. As you have not heard back as well, I assume they are experiencing some serious communication issues in their HR department because I find it unlikely that they would purposefully screw around with a bunch of perspective employees, but who knows! I will keep you posted... please update if you hear anything as well.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is Ramadan. Things slow down.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Unfortunately, I have emailed them twice since posting here and no reply whatsoever, ... .
Just want to give you moral support and clarify some issues as follows:

1. According to the current Saudi regulation, all HR and assistant staff need to be Saudi. Therefore, most universities, except KFUPM, KSU and KAUST, have only one or two officers who can communicate some English.

2. Like most Saudis, the officers are usually laid-back. They might start their work at 8 or 8.30 am, but enjoy chatting and have morning gava (Arab tea) with dates in the morning at least 1 or 2 hours. Then prayer time (12 - 12.15 or 12.30 pm) and after that afternoon gava for another one hour. Oh then 2.3pm it is about time to go home to have lunch. The office hours (8.00 am - 2.30 pm) is really short. Their lives are really relaxed with high salaries every 25th of Hijri month. Without expats, this magic kingdom certainly cannot survive!

3. E-mail communication is not a Middle East culture. They do not bother to reply your e-mail partly also due to language barriers. You need to find HR office or mobile numbers and try to phone them up. You might need to try more than five times, as they probably do not get the call during their gava time.

4. The very first word you need to keep in mind is 'patience'. Everything here is sluggish with lots of unnecessary bureaucracy. Be patient, patient and patient!

5. You can start your work any time of the year. Even though the new semester will commence on 31st August 2014, it is no need for you to be here around 15th August like existing faculty members. For example, you can take up your new post in January or February 2015.

6. Everyone working here has to go through the traumatic period during the work permit visa application. You will feel a bit better if you ask a private clinic or service to process it for you. To put it in short, do not feel frustrated, as you are not alone to deal with this issue.

This is just the first step for your Saudi adventure. You will experience many more crazy things here. That is why to most expats, Saudi is regarded as 'shit hole' of the Middle East, i.e., no life, no freedom, no entertainment and lots of risks on the road you need to take.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

One more thing, as Scot47 pointed it out, it is now in the Ramadan period (29th June - 28th July). Everything which is usually slow nearly stand still at the moment. HR officers will start their work at 10 am. With a bit morning and afternoon gave plus a lunch prayer, they can work up to 3 or 4 pm. Again, be patient!
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

I just got my contract, though there are some issues with it. PM me if you are willing to discuss further.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

MSHQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fellows, I also accepted an offer only via email so far at the start of May from Islamic Uni Madinah. HR dept was supposed to send me scanned contract but he said that he will send my papers to SACB in Berlin, and SACB will contact me when they will get my papers. Dean asked me to join on 24. Aug. Its now mid of July, neither I got any scanned contract, nor any contact from SACB. They also do not reply my inquiry email. Although after reading your messages specially by "wwinit", I am bit relieved but still any comments would be appreciated. Regards
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Maya11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! As some of you, I have accepted an offer from PMU a few weeks ago and as of today I am still waiting for the employment contract even though the HR services keep telling me that the contract will be sent 'this week' for three weeks now. Even though I am well aware of the cultural differences, I really do not know what to think and where to stand in regards to their recruitment practices given that I have read a lot of negative feedback about the university. I would like to discuss some of these points with those of you who can help me. Thank you in advance !
Old Aug 14th 2014, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

It is really a sign of poor management at PMU. Phone up your would-be Dean or Chairman of the Department to help you out, as the first semester will start in 2-3 weeks' time.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 6:21 am
Just Joined

Maya11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if only I knew who is my would-be Dean or Chairman of the Department I would contact them directly but unfortunately I do not know yet which department I would be attached to which leaves me quite desperate. I would like to know which courses I am susceptible to teach and generally what is the workload like for a faculty at PMU. Thank you for you help!
Old Aug 14th 2014, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Teachers should be arriving after this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.