Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Toyota2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Originally Posted by AdamSayaf
I know theHR directorfor PMU..if intersted
Hi Adam, I am trying to find the benefits package, is it true they offer up to 60K SR for children school? would health insurance covers all family members or specific number of the family memebers.

I might go for interview with them next week. I appreciate your response.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

KFUPM maximum for education is SR30,000. NOT per child but maximum, regardless of number of offspring. PMU may be more generous. As a result of this you hardly see any Western teachers there with school-age children.

No health insurance at KFUPM but treatment at KFUPM Clinic with referrals to University Teaching Hospital. I hear that PMU provide a private health insurance package.

Last edited by scot47; Apr 22nd 2014 at 1:46 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
KFUPM maximum for education is SR30,000. NOT per child but maximum, regardless of number of offspring. PMU may be more generous. As a result of this you hardly see any Western teachers there with school-age children.

No health insurance at KFUPM but treatment at KFUPM Clinic with referrals to University Teaching Hospital. I hear that PMU provide a private health insurance package.
Thanx Scot, are you recommending PMU then, because I will be interviewed by PMU
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I worked at the other place. PMU could be okay but there are a lot of rich kids there, relying on daddy's "wasta" rather than their own abilities and hard work.
Old May 10th 2014, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

VictorBC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maymona
Hi everyone,

I've just been offered a job at Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University in Al-Khobar which I have pasted below. I am a British national who recently got a PhD (less than a year ago) from a UK university

I have had experience in teaching at university for three years during my PhD studies. I don't have any university teaching experience post-PhD as I spent that time working in the voluntary sector and looking after a very ill relative. I have track record of publications in peer reviewed international journals -- published four journals so far.

Could anyone please suggest if the salary and the benefits that come with it are good enough?

Thanks,
May
  • Assistant Professor, Maths and Natural Science, College of Arts and Science;
  • An employment term commencing on actual date of commencement of work at PMU and ending by the Spring Semester,2016 with renewal/extension by mutual agreement;
  • A monthly salary of SR 11864;
  • As per PMU availability, furnished housing with basic household goods or a housing allowance equivalent to 3 basic salaries;
  • A monthly transportation allowance of SR. 600
  • Paid annual vacation of 60 days.
  • Medical insurance plan for you;
  • If applicable; a visa processing fee allowance maximum of SR 5,000;
  • Economy class air ticket for you from place of origin as per your passport to Dammam, KSA at the beginning of the contract and from Dammam, KSA to place of origin as per your passport for repatriation on the completion of your Employment Contract;
  • Economy class round trip air ticket for annual vacation travel for you to place of origin as per your passport in accordance with PMU policy;
  • End of service benefit of one half month’s basic salary for each year of service payable on the completion of your Employment Contract.
May I know if you have received the contract and visa from PMU?
Old May 10th 2014, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

travelin is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also interested to finding out how the negotiation went and if you accepted the offer.
Old May 10th 2014, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

I am considering an assistant professor offer for PMU and wonder if anyone here has had any experience negotiating the offer or experience teaching at PMU. Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by travelin
I am considering an assistant professor offer for PMU and wonder if anyone here has had any experience negotiating the offer or experience teaching at PMU. Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks.
I was interviewed two weeks ago by PMU ( faculty position). It seems like they are interviewing lots of people in different disciplines. The interview was done by management division the president and two others. The interviews were very short did not take more than 5 minutes!!? it was in Washington. they nicely covered the trip cost.

before the interview you get some time to talk to the director of human resources and assistant to the presidnet who provided reasonable amount of information about the PMU. Of course they will mention the positive side which is normal.

I was just puzzled by the interview since nothing seriously was discussed to determine the suitability of the candidate. two quick questions like talk about yourself ( two minutes) and then they ask you why you want to go to KSA, how long u have been in USA and then you allowed for one question.

They say they will call me if I am selected because many people applied for the same position. I havent heard from them since then. It seems like you get selected based on factors other than academic performance and experience.

i hope this is helpful. how was your experience?
Old May 12th 2014, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by VictorBC
May I know if you have received the contract and visa from PMU?
the basic salary is too low , you should negotiate for a little more. you can not negotiate there, once you accept you will stick to that.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Toyota2011
I was interviewed two weeks ago by PMU ( faculty position). It seems like they are interviewing lots of people in different disciplines. The interview was done by management division the president and two others. The interviews were very short did not take more than 5 minutes!!? it was in Washington. they nicely covered the trip cost.

before the interview you get some time to talk to the director of human resources and assistant to the presidnet who provided reasonable amount of information about the PMU. Of course they will mention the positive side which is normal.

I was just puzzled by the interview since nothing seriously was discussed to determine the suitability of the candidate. two quick questions like talk about yourself ( two minutes) and then they ask you why you want to go to KSA, how long u have been in USA and then you allowed for one question.

They say they will call me if I am selected because many people applied for the same position. I havent heard from them since then. It seems like you get selected based on factors other than academic performance and experience.

i hope this is helpful. how was your experience?
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I agree as I had the same experience, although I was not able to go to DC two weeks ago, we had another 1.5 minutes Skype interview on the same day instead.

A week later I received an offer but it's too low, which as you said, I am not sure how they came up with the number. Anyway, I counter the offer and we'll see now what happens.

Have you talked to them since the interview?
Old May 13th 2014, 6:26 am
Just Joined

koder1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same situation - received an offer from PMU and would like to try to negotiate it up a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions for who to contact to try to negotiate? I'm not sure the HR person who has been contacting me has the authority to negotiate.
Old May 13th 2014, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by travelin
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I agree as I had the same experience, although I was not able to go to DC two weeks ago, we had another 1.5 minutes Skype interview on the same day instead.

A week later I received an offer but it's too low, which as you said, I am not sure how they came up with the number. Anyway, I counter the offer and we'll see now what happens.

Have you talked to them since the interview?
no I havent talked to them. the only people i can talk to is human resources. based on the information I have no one should accept less than SR16K for new graduates. I have more than five years of experience so i requested more than SR20K.
Old May 13th 2014, 10:54 am
Just Joined

no I havent talked to them. the only people i can talk to is human resources. based on the information I have no one should accept less than SR16K for new graduates. I have more than five years of experience so i requested more than SR20K.
Toyota2011, if I may ask, what field are you in? Feel free to private message me if you prefer...
Old May 14th 2014, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by koder1
Toyota2011, if I may ask, what field are you in? Feel free to private message me if you prefer...
I believe you should negotiate this. if you get the same offer like Maymona u should. more than five years ago when I was fresh phd graduate I received almost the same offer Maymona had but from Taibah University in Madinah. I rejected the offer. Living expenses have risen since that time.
Old May 14th 2014, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

I believe you should negotiate this. if you get the same offer like Maymona u should. more than five years ago when I was fresh phd graduate I received almost the same offer Maymona had but from Taibah University in Madinah. I rejected the offer. Living expenses have risen since that time.
The offer I received was better than Maymona's, but under 16k SAR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.