Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Maymona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Hi everyone,

I've just been offered a job at Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University in Al-Khobar which I have pasted below. I am a British national who recently got a PhD (less than a year ago) from a UK university

I have had experience in teaching at university for three years during my PhD studies. I don't have any university teaching experience post-PhD as I spent that time working in the voluntary sector and looking after a very ill relative. I have track record of publications in peer reviewed international journals -- published four journals so far.

Could anyone please suggest if the salary and the benefits that come with it are good enough?

Thanks,
May
  • Assistant Professor, Maths and Natural Science, College of Arts and Science;
  • An employment term commencing on actual date of commencement of work at PMU and ending by the Spring Semester,2016 with renewal/extension by mutual agreement;
  • A monthly salary of SR 11864;
  • As per PMU availability, furnished housing with basic household goods or a housing allowance equivalent to 3 basic salaries;
  • A monthly transportation allowance of SR. 600
  • Paid annual vacation of 60 days.
  • Medical insurance plan for you;
  • If applicable; a visa processing fee allowance maximum of SR 5,000;
  • Economy class air ticket for you from place of origin as per your passport to Dammam, KSA at the beginning of the contract and from Dammam, KSA to place of origin as per your passport for repatriation on the completion of your Employment Contract;
  • Economy class round trip air ticket for annual vacation travel for you to place of origin as per your passport in accordance with PMU policy;
  • End of service benefit of one half month’s basic salary for each year of service payable on the completion of your Employment Contract.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Salary is quite low but probably reflects your lack of teaching experience. PMU is on a flashy new campus with lots of gizmos and gadgets., Students tend to be from well-off families. Typically they are not particularly academic or interested in study. I was at KFUPM - just up the road from PNU, but I was a mere drudge, a teacher of English to Prep Year students.

Girls are often better to teach tan the boys. I take it from your name that you are female and will be teaching on the female side. If you pm an e-mail contact I can put you in touch with women who teach English at PONU.

Last edited by scot47; Nov 19th 2013 at 5:58 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
Salary is quite low but probably reflects your lack of teaching experience. PMU is on a flashy new campus with lots of gizmos and gadgets., Students tend to be from well-off families. Typically they are not particularly academic or interested in study. I was at KFUPM - just up the road from PNU, but I was a mere drudge, a teacher of English to Prep Year students.

Girls are often better to teach tan the boys. I take it from your name that you are female and will be teaching on the female side. If you pm an e-mail contact I can put you in touch with women who teach English at PONU.
Thanks for your reply! Will PM you my email address.

I am thinking of negotiating the salary up, is this a good idea?I have few days to respond to their offer. I think it's too low a salary to make it worthwhile moving abroad. I can earn nearly the same salary in the UK with the benefits included. I was actively involved in teaching undergraduates and have a number of good peer-reviewed publications, which is often looked upon favourably by employers.

Also, I am aware that salaries in Saudi Arabia tend to depend on your nationality (!), do you know the minimum salary for British academics compared to, for example, a Saudi or other academics?

I need to make a decision pretty soon so I'd appreciate anyone's help on this. Many thanks.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is that employers in KSA in the education field will NOT negotiate. Take it or leave it.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is that employers in KSA in the education field will NOT negotiate. Take it or leave it.
If you've any sense, you'll leave it....
Old Nov 20th 2013, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OleJanx
If you've any sense, you'll leave it....
What's the expected basic salary though? Can anyone shed some light on this.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

I have another potential offer in Kuwait with the following benefits:

The starting salary for the Assistant Professor is from 1800 KD per month and it is up to the management decision and according to the experience, qualification and the recommendations after the presentation (Campus Visit).

The benefits are:
- 60 days annual leave
- Tickets (for yourself, and family up to 2 kids)
- School Fees (up to 2 kids) 2000 KD/year for each kid (in Kuwait)
- Medical Insurance (for yourself and family - up to 2 kids)
- Life Insurance (for yourself)

We will provide furnished apartment and transportation for the first month only, then they have to arrange their own housing and transportation according to their needs.

Is this a good package?
Old Nov 20th 2013, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In terms os a place to be, Khobar beats Kuwait.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

In terms of what? Can you elaborate please.

But the salary is

Last edited by Maymona; Nov 20th 2013 at 2:57 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Speaking from a female point of view, my experience of life in Jedda and Riyadh is that men ogle if you don't cover from head to toe or dress similar to how most local women dress (ie. niqab!). I can't speak of Khobar as I haven't been there.

I am leaning towards the Kuwait offer as I don't have to wear a niqab, I can drive a car and the salary is twice as much as that in Khobar. But I've been told that living costs in Saudi Arabia is significantly lower than in Kuwait.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish! Kuwait is a much better place than anywhere in the 14th Century (Sordid).
Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

I couldn't agree more. Kuwait City is 100+ times better than Al Khobar in terms of infrastructure, buildings, tourist attractions, etc. even though Al Khobar is 'very' relaxed; you can walk around freely in abaya with or without a veil. Kuwait is certainly more liberal, but sill has no alcohol and pubs and the cost of living is much higher. The most important thing is in Kuwait you have your freedom and it is no need to apply for an exit/re-entry visa. Most Kuwaiti universities, except AUMS and some private colleges, are more organised and professional. You can imagine with only some showers yesterday several roads in Al Khobar and Dammam were under water; they do not have an effective drainage/sewage system here. My UoD classes were therefore cancelled without good reason. Anyway, KSA is certainly not for me or neither for a lady like you. My suggestion is go for Kuwait!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for your helpful replies folks!

Any information on the American University of the Middle East in Kuwait (AUM)? All I know is its a fairly new university.

If you've lived in both countries, by how much are living costs in Kuwait higher than in Khobar (twice, three times,...etc)?
Old Nov 21st 2013, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Niqab is NOT required in Khobar. In fact in the downtown area you will see Western women walking around with an abaya.

If driving is important to you then go to Kuwait.

Last edited by scot47; Nov 21st 2013 at 10:48 am.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

RandomStranger is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it easy to get a direct contract from a university? Or did you get it through an agency?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.