Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Architecture practice for part 1 placement within Dubai

Architecture practice for part 1 placement within Dubai

Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Zaid Ahmed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Architecture practice for part 1 placement within Dubai

Hey everyone,

Was just reading a post by Lamees in this forum. I am currently a third year Architecture student at Leicester school of architecture looking for a placement for this coming year (starting June 09). I am looking for a practice within Dubai where I can work for the coming year and also complete my PEDR requirement.

I already have family in Dubai so relocation and accomodation shouldn't be a problem, I have already had experience working in Dubai at a property development firm from June - September 07 and have has some ongoing experience within a UK architecture practice since whilst studying.

I would really appreciate any help or responses and will be able to forward my CV and examples of my work with more details.

Thank you!

Zaid

Last edited by Zaid Ahmed; Apr 21st 2009 at 11:51 am.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:38 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architecture practice for part 1 placement within Dubai

I don't honestly know what your chances of getting a Part 1 role in a Dubai practice will be. Part 1s are generally CAD-monkeys etc, but in the UAE, these junior roles are taken up by people from the indian sub-continent at a low wage. Still, there's no harm in trying.

To complete your PEDR requirements, you'll need a mentor who is ARB registered, even though they are out of the country. Do your research before you leave. Also, the online PEDR is onerous (I was in the last year to get away with the paper version) in that both you and your mentor have to keep up-to-date with it... I think it can accept 3 months back-dated, but you'll have to check. Aside from actually finding a part 1 job out here, make sure you have a mentor that qualifies and that is able to follow your progress. Dubai is even worse for deadlines and pressure than the UK, and the PEDR is oh-so-easily sidelined.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:57 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zaid Ahmed
Hey everyone,

Was just reading a post by Lamees in this forum. I am currently a third year Architecture student at Leicester school of architecture looking for a placement for this coming year (starting June 09). I am looking for a practice within Dubai where I can work for the coming year and also complete my PEDR requirement.

I already have family in Dubai so relocation and accomodation shouldn't be a problem, I have already had experience working in Dubai at a property development firm from June - September 07 and have has some ongoing experience within a UK architecture practice since whilst studying.

I would really appreciate any help or responses and will be able to forward my CV and examples of my work with more details.

Thank you!

Zaid
Maybe best not to mention Lamees OP, you can see how his line of reasoning faired.....
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I don't honestly know what your chances of getting a Part 1 role in a Dubai practice will be. Part 1s are generally CAD-monkeys etc, but in the UAE, these junior roles are taken up by people from the indian sub-continent at a low wage. Still, there's no harm in trying.

To complete your PEDR requirements, you'll need a mentor who is ARB registered, even though they are out of the country. Do your research before you leave. Also, the online PEDR is onerous (I was in the last year to get away with the paper version) in that both you and your mentor have to keep up-to-date with it... I think it can accept 3 months back-dated, but you'll have to check. Aside from actually finding a part 1 job out here, make sure you have a mentor that qualifies and that is able to follow your progress. Dubai is even worse for deadlines and pressure than the UK, and the PEDR is oh-so-easily sidelined.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
Cheers, you've cleared a lot of things up.

I've actually just been in contact with the property development company I was working at two summers ago and we are going to see if something can be arranged with the practices they use. The main thing is finding an ARB registered montor but I think one or two of the companies they use are UK based so im keeping my fingers crossed.

Things are looking pretty grim in the UK for part 1 students so it'll be just as hard finding a placement over here.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Maybe best not to mention Lamees OP, you can see how his line of reasoning faired.....
Haha, fair point
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:37 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Things are looking pretty grim in the UK for part 1 students so it'll be just as hard finding a placement over here.
Unfortunately, even in boom times, it often takes companies some convincing to take on a Part 1... it's the age old "I want someone with experience, but that I can pay peanuts". Therefore, really big up your experience with the developper, plus the fact that you have ME experience, if that's where you're targetting. Be clear and specific, focussing on responsability (= you are reliable and competant) and well as specific skills.

I your favour, and this will sound horrid, you, as opposed to many previously mentioned juniors in Dubai, can think for yourself and ask questions. I know this sounds like a no-brainer, but there are soooo many people who simply do not think to ask, and so grind to a halt (without saying so) or carry on doing abortive work. Show that you are aware of this fact and that you are not like that (so are worth employing) and you may be lucky enough to land yourself a better role than an equivalent Part 1 in the UK.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Unfortunately, even in boom times, it often takes companies some convincing to take on a Part 1... it's the age old "I want someone with experience, but that I can pay peanuts". Therefore, really big up your experience with the developper, plus the fact that you have ME experience, if that's where you're targetting. Be clear and specific, focussing on responsability (= you are reliable and competant) and well as specific skills.

I your favour, and this will sound horrid, you, as opposed to many previously mentioned juniors in Dubai, can think for yourself and ask questions. I know this sounds like a no-brainer, but there are soooo many people who simply do not think to ask, and so grind to a halt (without saying so) or carry on doing abortive work. Show that you are aware of this fact and that you are not like that (so are worth employing) and you may be lucky enough to land yourself a better role than an equivalent Part 1 in the UK.
Wow, I didn't know actual kind and helpful people still existed!

I'll hopefully get some sort of a response in the next few days from the practices. The property developers I mentioned and have fairly good links with have a few projects going up at the moment so hopefully i'll be able to get some on site experience and see some actual construction.

As far as the practices go, Im going to call the RIBA tomorrow and see what they say as far as actual requirements for the practice and PEDR mentor. No one seems to be sure about where you can and can't work, I have heard people say its limited to Europe and others say the UK which i'm sure isn't right. Apparently with the recession they have loosened the requirements as far as saying you can work somewhere other than an architecture practice but only for a maximum of three months.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the advice and help. Ill let you know how things play out.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:49 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I didn't know actual kind and helpful people still existed!

I'll hopefully get some sort of a response in the next few days from the practices. The property developers I mentioned and have fairly good links with have a few projects going up at the moment so hopefully i'll be able to get some on site experience and see some actual construction.

As far as the practices go, Im going to call the RIBA tomorrow and see what they say as far as actual requirements for the practice and PEDR mentor. No one seems to be sure about where you can and can't work, I have heard people say its limited to Europe and others say the UK which i'm sure isn't right. Apparently with the recession they have loosened the requirements as far as saying you can work somewhere other than an architecture practice but only for a maximum of three months.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the advice and help. Ill let you know how things play out.
OK, has he had enough "good" advice that we can now lay into him?

My fingers are itchy......

So is my brain....
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:02 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
OK, has he had enough "good" advice that we can now lay into him?

My fingers are itchy......

So is my brain....
I think that is proof that we do not immediately smell blood and maul noobies... only the ones that diss us, homes........

Sorry, staying in this particular part of N Houston has meant me having to converse with a couple of the locals....
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:06 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is proof that we do not immediately smell blood and maul noobies... only the ones that diss us, homes........

Sorry, staying in this particular part of N Houston has meant me having to converse with a couple of the locals....
Careful, you're beginning to smell sceptic...
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:21 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Roadking
Careful, you're beginning to smell sceptic...
No chance of that, but could end up sounding like a redneck...

Am already flailing myself nightly, the number of lashes dictated by the amount of times I use the word 'y'all'...
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:36 pm
If I have to explain...

No chance of that, but could end up sounding like a redneck...

Am already flailing myself nightly, the number of lashes dictated by the amount of times I use the word 'y'all'...
That's what happens when you stay in hotels. I think it's something in the startch they use on the sheets. Or maybe it's just the clean sheets???
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:43 pm
ex-expat

Wow, I didn't know actual kind and helpful people still existed

hehe, it'll be my downfall!

Word to the wise - speak to the ARB rather than the RIBA. The ARB is our regulatory body, as opposed to the RIBA which is a glorified Old Boy's Club. Aside from that, the ARB is of no help to us at all - most people don't even know it exists.

And just to counter any less-than-helpful posts... I'll even link you this... ARB practical training experience guidelines