Architecture

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:02 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architecture

Originally Posted by weasel central
no problem, also though I hate to suggest it having just left but there is a lot of work in Saudi, its a money versus life choice.

do you mean Qatari Diar?
Nope. Diyar Al Muharraq is a massive new development (new being the wrong word really as it started in 2005 or something) next to Amwaj in Bahrain.

http://www.diyar.bh/en-index.html
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:00 am
Global Hobo

Norsk-also is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weasel central
no problem, also though I hate to suggest it having just left but there is a lot of work in Saudi, its a money versus life choice.
If money was all I was after, I'd go back home. My salary would probably double. (see 3rd post for my reason) If I were to consider saudi, I would prefer to be in a position to commute to bahrain though, daily ideally. So I'm guessing Dammam is the only option on that side for this? Without spending hours travelling each way, I just relocated to gain back the 2 hours I used to commute each day for work. Alternatively, any experience self or of others who commute(d) weekly UAE/KSA/Qatar-Bah? A quick check tells me air fares are in the region of £100-£200.

Last edited by Norsk-also; Nov 2nd 2010 at 10:06 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:09 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norsk-also
If money was all I was after, I'd go back home. My salary would probably double. (see 3rd post for my reason) If I were to consider saudi, I would prefer to be in a position to commute to bahrain though, daily ideally. So I'm guessing Dammam is the only option on that side for this? Without spending hours travelling each way, I just relocated to gain back the 2 hours I used to commute each day for work. Alternatively, any experience self or of others who commute(d) weekly UAE/KSA/Qatar-Bah? A quick check tells me air fares are in the region of £100-£200.
Yeah, but the problem is that Norway has big salaries, big taxes, high standard of living and therefore high cost of living.

Dammam/Khobar best (only?) option for a daily commute. Doha/AD/Dubai would be fine on a weekly if you don't mind the flying and airports. Personally I would not do it though. I commuted on a weekly basis between Oslo and London for 18 months and would not recommend that kind of life to anyone.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Millemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really nice

Originally Posted by norsk
Yeah, but the problem is that Norway has big salaries, big taxes, high standard of living and therefore high cost of living.

Dammam/Khobar best (only?) option for a daily commute. Doha/AD/Dubai would be fine on a weekly if you don't mind the flying and airports. Personally I would not do it though. I commuted on a weekly basis between Oslo and London for 18 months and would not recommend that kind of life to anyone.
I can't comment on other places but here in Abu Dhabi it seems the construction industry is really booming. There appears to be work going on at every street corner. Plus with some of the bigger projects that are happening now and in the future (like the Al Reem Island projenct and moving the entire city centre) I'd say that industry could be doing really well! Having said all that I've literally been in Abu Dhabi for a week now so perhaps someone with a longer tenure would be better qualified than me to speak on it!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:48 pm
Global Hobo

Norsk-also is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by norsk

Yeah..had a bottle of £9 in a restaurant in Oslo last time I was home. It didn't even have bubbles in it..or a side serving of champagne

The whole salary vs cost of living in the UK I would assume a great factor as to why there are so many brit expats wherever you go.

Weekly commute still beats a biannual commute I'd say, but thanks for the advice. I've never tried. Still young though (relatively speaking), must experience all life has got to offer.