Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Any UK teachers teaching or was teaching in Dubai or Abu Dhabi with family

Any UK teachers teaching or was teaching in Dubai or Abu Dhabi with family

Old Jan 8th 2017, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

LittleT100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any UK teachers teaching or was teaching in Dubai or Abu Dhabi with family

Hi. I am thinking of applying to some job Adverts to teach in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, from the UK. I would be moving there with 3 children and a husband who is an Engineer. Does anyone have any advice? Also I would be so grateful to hear from someone who is there now in the same position or was there but I also welcome anyone's views. I am not looking to live there permanently...just for about 2 to 4 yrs to save up some money and then return to the UK. Would my husband be able to get a job as my dependent? My salary would be between £12000 and £15000Aed mthly. The school would offer a furnished accommodation and free school placements for 2 of the children. Also some other allowances and medical coverage. I really do not want to leave our jobs here only to find that we've made a big mistake. Please share your honest experiences or advice. Thank you.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any UK teachers teaching or was teaching in Dubai or Abu Dhabi with family

Originally Posted by LittleT100
Hi. I am thinking of applying to some job Adverts to teach in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, from the UK. I would be moving there with 3 children and a husband who is an Engineer. Does anyone have any advice? Also I would be so grateful to hear from someone who is there now in the same position or was there but I also welcome anyone's views. I am not looking to live there permanently...just for about 2 to 4 yrs to save up some money and then return to the UK. Would my husband be able to get a job as my dependent? My salary would be between £12000 and £15000Aed mthly. The school would offer a furnished accommodation and free school placements for 2 of the children. Also some other allowances and medical coverage. I really do not want to leave our jobs here only to find that we've made a big mistake. Please share your honest experiences or advice. Thank you.
As much as this sounds nuts... Even with the 2 kids covered and the free house. Without the hubster working it's not going to be enough.

What sort of engineer? Most of the work done by what we call engineers in the UK is done by low paid workers here.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Any UK teachers teaching or was teaching in Dubai or Abu Dhabi with family

Hey Millhouse . Thanks for your reply. My hubby is a Machinist/toolmaker type of Engineer here in the UK with up to a level 3 qualification so no degree as yet. I know what you mean re Engineers there vs Engineers in the UK. I was looking up for some jobs on the gulftalent website for hubby and indeed they looked low paid. It's really starting to look dim coming to Dubai because I wouldn't want to move my whole family over if it wouldn't be beneficial....gutted.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be difficult for you unless your husband can get a well-paid job. That is unlikely given his skill-set and qualifications.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Scot47...thank you so much for your input.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Jadeamy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on weather Dubai would accept assessment only route to QTS rather than a PGCE? I have taught for 5 years and I am a lead practitioner but have read that some countries don't accept QTS as a qualification? Any info would be greatly recieved!
Old Mar 15th 2017, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Graduate status required.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Sorry what do you mean by this? I have a degree in my subject area and qualified teacher status - is this not sufficient?
Old Mar 15th 2017, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on the school.

There are many 'local hire' teachers ( spouses of expats ) who start off as Teaching Assistant. Some of them want to make a go of it as a career, but the only course of study is , I think, through the University of Sunderland. This will give QTS status through a series of assessments and assignments, but that particular qualification is not recognised in the UK, and any person will need to undergo a further year of NQTS in the UK before attaining QTS status.

Schools in the Gulf region may well recognise that qualification, but generally speaking ,I think they would look for the PGCE.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. I have several years of great exam results so hopefully they would be willing to consider my application. Fingers crossed!
Old Mar 15th 2017, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry I did not read through your post. Just to confirm that a degree is required. Not sure if a PGCE is mandatory.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Sorry I did not read through your post. Just to confirm that a degree is required. Not sure if a PGCE is mandatory.
Thank you. Yes I have a degree in the subject I teach and have also completed teacher training but in the form of an assessment only route to QTS rather than a PGCE. I am a qualified teacher but I am aware the QTS only applies to the UK. Thank you!