AMMROC - Salary Inquiry

Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Almusaafir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AMMROC - Salary Inquiry

Hi,

I'm new to this site; have read some of the posts here already. Question is: AMMROC would like to hire me as a structural engineer on the BlackHawk program and would like to know what salary I desire. I have 4.5 years experience and a BS in engineering and a BA in Arabic. Does anyone know what an engineer with such credentials should make in Abu Dhabi?

Thanks,

Almusaafir
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AMMROC - Salary Inquiry

pray tell what the BlackHawk programme is...

Something to do with violent Ridley Scott films?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Right, BlackHawks are military helicopters.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 12:44 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almusaafir
Hi,

I'm new to this site; have read some of the posts here already. Question is: AMMROC would like to hire me as a structural engineer on the BlackHawk program and would like to know what salary I desire. I have 4.5 years experience and a BS in engineering and a BA in Arabic. Does anyone know what an engineer with such credentials should make in Abu Dhabi?

Thanks,

Almusaafir
Quite frankly, with that low a level of experience, I don't know. Most engineers I know of are on their 3rd or 4th job - i.e. 10-15 years minimum.

I'd suggest you consider your current salary, ask for it tax free, and add 10%. Ask for a flight home each year, schooling(?), medical and accommodation to be sorted out.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Are you of Arab origin?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Quite frankly, with that low a level of experience, I don't know. Most engineers I know of are on their 3rd or 4th job - i.e. 10-15 years minimum.

I'd suggest you consider your current salary, ask for it tax free, and add 10%. Ask for a flight home each year, schooling(?), medical and accommodation to be sorted out.
Isn't the general rule of thumb to add 30 to 40% to your existing salary?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mentalist
Are you of Arab origin?
No, I decided to learn the language as I have long had the intention to work in the ME.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 5:28 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almusaafir
Isn't the general rule of thumb to add 30 to 40% to your existing salary?
tax free + 10% is the same thing - I'd be (pleasantly) amazed if someone got tax free + 40% with only 4 yrs experience behind them.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
tax free + 10% is the same thing - I'd be (pleasantly) amazed if someone got tax free + 40% with only 4 yrs experience behind them.
Well, let's see what happens, should get an offer soon. Thanks.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:50 am
Just Joined

So after weeks of waiting, AMMROC has said that my offer is pending approval, and that in order to continue the approval process I must submit several documents such as passport, diplomat, letters of previous employment, etc. is this normal, seeing that I haven't received an official offer as of yet?
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Toon_army is an unknown quantity at this point

Almusaafir; Employers ask for all the docs you mentioned for security clearance but still it does not mean you’ve got the job. I think you should ask (if not too late) for a basic salary above 32k ED + other benefits; medical, schooling, mobilisation fees, car allowance, car interest free loan, etc.
All the best traveller!
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Toon_army
Almusaafir; Employers ask for all the docs you mentioned for security clearance but still it does not mean you’ve got the job. I think you should ask (if not too late) for a basic salary above 32k ED + other benefits; medical, schooling, mobilisation fees, car allowance, car interest free loan, etc.
All the best traveller!
I actually did ask for such a salary and benefits. I've been told that the package has been sent for approval. It is interesting that I wasn't told my request is too high (I only have 5 years experience after all, but a unique skill set for the job at hand); wonder if they will approve it.

What is mobilization fee?

(I noticed you know a little Arabic as well)
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Toon_army is an unknown quantity at this point

5 years experience is equivalent to al least 10 years experience in the ME! Don’t under estimate yourself. The way it works here, HR set a salary range for each job/ grade and they base your basic salary offer on years of experience, qualifications and if they are very keen on you they might also go a bit over the high end of the range, basic salaries is where you should negotiate. The rest of the allowances are fixed per grade i.e. nonnegotiable.
Mobilisation and demobilisation fees are to cover relocation from / to your base location at the start and end of employment. Some oil and gas companies based it on number of family members, say 3000Dir per adult and 2000Dir per child. Other companies pay for cost of removal after producing receipts and others pay a lump sum amount say $7000.
Knowing Arabic is good for communicating outside work (most professional Arabs will understand/ speak English in varying levels) however, Arabs at work might feel threatened by an expatriate who knows Arabic for obvious reasons! so I suggest to keep that info on a need to know basis 

Last edited by Toon_army; May 3rd 2012 at 6:36 am.
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Toon_army
5 years experience is equivalent to al least 10 years experience in the ME! Don’t under estimate yourself. The way it works here, HR set a salary range for each job/ grade and they base your basic salary offer on years of experience, qualifications and if they are very keen on you they might also go a bit over the high end of the range, basic salaries is where you should negotiate. The rest of the allowances are fixed per grade i.e. nonnegotiable.
Mobilisation and demobilisation fees are to cover relocation from / to you base location at the start and end of employment. Some oil and gas companies based it on number of family members, say 3000Dir per adult and 2000Dir per child. Other companies pay for cost of removal after producing receipts and others pay a lump sum amount say $7000.
Knowing Arabic is good for communicating outside work (most professional Arabs will understand/ speak English in varying levels) however, Arabs at work might feel threatened by an expatriate who knows Arabic for obvious reasons! so I suggest to keep that info on a need to know basis 
Interesting stuff. Sure appreciate all the info. Thanks.
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Finally got an offer. Total package is roughly 100K USD per year. They pay for tickets, medical, 22 days vacation, and I have to make that salary work for all expenses. It's a little lower than expected, however, it is 14K USD per annum more than other offers that I've seen for most Brits.

Based on my math: 40K is for housing, 20K for schooling two little ones, and 15K buys me a used car (one time expense). So after the purchase of a car, in subsequent years I'm left with 40K. I've already thrown it back at them. Negotiating is all part of the game whether it is a good offer or not I guess.

Thoughts/comments?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.