Abu Dhabi - Teacher

Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:43 am
Just Joined

NorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the rough
Default Abu Dhabi - Teacher

Hi everyone, this is my first time on the forum! I'd really appreciate your advice/ opinions in relation to a job offer that I've recently received.

I am a primary school teacher with 9 years experience in the UK and Republic of Ireland. I was recently informed that due to budget cuts I was being made redundant from my teaching job here in the UK. Teaching overseas is something that I've always wanted to do, so this seems like the ideal opportunity to make the leap.

I would like to point out that my desire to teach overseas is not financially motivated - in the sense that I am not concerned with frantically saving and returning to the UK with a huge pot of money. I am interested in the experience overall, enjoying an outdoors lifestyle, and the opportunity to travel in my holidays to places that would be much more accessible when based in the middle east. I have had a pretty rough time of things on a personal level over the past couple of years and just want a complete change of scene!! I'm fairly well travelled and have lived in different countries before, so moving somewhere completely new is not as scary to me as it may be to some.

Anyway - the package I have been offered is: 11,077 AED per month, Accommodation in a furnished, one bedroom apartment (centrally located), utilities included. Yearly return airfare. Medical insurance. End of contract gratuity.
I have also been informed that the school allows teachers to offer one to one tuition which would be extra income - and that extra curricular activities incur a charge for each child which is paid directly to the teacher.

I am aware that salary wise this is far from fantastic compared to some - but I really like the sound of the school, and the fact that there appears to be a great emphasis on work/ life balance - I will not be expected to work an excessive amount of hours etc after school. For someone in my profession, this is extremely refreshing! I don't want to come across as someone who is not committed to my job......I love what I do!! But at this point in time, I would enjoy a role that is not as stressful and demanding as I have found it recently!

My question is this: Is the salary that I have been offered sufficient to enjoy a comfortable (not extravagant) lifestyle? Please bear in mind my previous comments about not being financially motivated in my decision to move to the middle east - and that the school appeals to me in a personal and professional sense.

Many thanks in advance for all of your thoughts and advice!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi - Teacher

Originally Posted by NorthernBelle31
Hi everyone, this is my first time on the forum! I'd really appreciate your advice/ opinions in relation to a job offer that I've recently received.

I am a primary school teacher with 9 years experience in the UK and Republic of Ireland. I was recently informed that due to budget cuts I was being made redundant from my teaching job here in the UK. Teaching overseas is something that I've always wanted to do, so this seems like the ideal opportunity to make the leap.

I would like to point out that my desire to teach overseas is not financially motivated - in the sense that I am not concerned with frantically saving and returning to the UK with a huge pot of money. I am interested in the experience overall, enjoying an outdoors lifestyle, and the opportunity to travel in my holidays to places that would be much more accessible when based in the middle east. I have had a pretty rough time of things on a personal level over the past couple of years and just want a complete change of scene!! I'm fairly well travelled and have lived in different countries before, so moving somewhere completely new is not as scary to me as it may be to some.

Anyway - the package I have been offered is: 11,077 AED per month, Accommodation in a furnished, one bedroom apartment (centrally located), utilities included. Yearly return airfare. Medical insurance. End of contract gratuity.
I have also been informed that the school allows teachers to offer one to one tuition which would be extra income - and that extra curricular activities incur a charge for each child which is paid directly to the teacher.

I am aware that salary wise this is far from fantastic compared to some - but I really like the sound of the school, and the fact that there appears to be a great emphasis on work/ life balance - I will not be expected to work an excessive amount of hours etc after school. For someone in my profession, this is extremely refreshing! I don't want to come across as someone who is not committed to my job......I love what I do!! But at this point in time, I would enjoy a role that is not as stressful and demanding as I have found it recently!

My question is this: Is the salary that I have been offered sufficient to enjoy a comfortable (not extravagant) lifestyle? Please bear in mind my previous comments about not being financially motivated in my decision to move to the middle east - and that the school appeals to me in a personal and professional sense.

Many thanks in advance for all of your thoughts and advice!
long post, short answer... yes, you will be fine. 3000AED on food, 2000AED on beer, 6000AED to blow on holidays, clothes, handbags.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:03 am
Just Joined

NorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Millhouse
long post, short answer... yes, you will be fine. 3000AED on food, 2000AED on beer, 6000AED to blow on holidays, clothes, handbags.
Thank you very much. And apologies for the "essay!" I like to talk! lol! :-)
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much. And apologies for the "essay!" I like to talk! lol! :-)
I'm assuming though that you don't want a car. Cars are expensive, maybe 2000AED/month to rent one.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:47 am
Just Joined

No I don't think so.....I'll probably just rely on public transport and taxi's as it appears cheap enough. The school provide me with transport to school and back as well so I should be grand!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No I don't think so.....I'll probably just rely on public transport and taxi's as it appears cheap enough. The school provide me with transport to school and back as well so I should be grand!
I honestly think you will be fine then. Others may say it's too low, but I reckon it'll be ok.

just make sure you are not sharing that flat and that it's not a hovel.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that. I know, it does sound a little low....but will be worth a slightly lower salary to have less stress!! I just want to enjoy life in the sunshine and meet some new people - and can always try and top it up by offering tuition! I'm nervous, but really excited about the move!

My accommodation is definitely single, not shared - and the photographs I've seen look grand....pretty standard I think!

I've got friends teaching in Kuwait (earning much better money - but they've had to sacrifice certain social aspects of their life) so will be nice to know I can pop over to see them during holidays etc.
I'm particularly looking forward to things like the Abu Dhabi F1 and the Dubai Rugby 7's!!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and Welcome to BE, you might get a better deal in Dubai, have you tried the GEMS group? Are you a Geordie?
Old Apr 25th 2011, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks BlueCat! :-)

To be honest, I actually like the sound of Abu Dhabi as opposed to Dubai. Sounds a little less hectic - but I like the idea that I can always go for the weekend if I want to

I've had a telephone interview with GEMS for a school in Dubai - and they've set up an interview for me in London next week.......but I think it's going to be almost impossible for me to attend at such short notice due to current work commitments here!

I'm officially a sand-dancer!!! lol!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:57 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BlueCat! :-)

To be honest, I actually like the sound of Abu Dhabi as opposed to Dubai. Sounds a little less hectic - but I like the idea that I can always go for the weekend if I want to

I've had a telephone interview with GEMS for a school in Dubai - and they've set up an interview for me in London next week.......but I think it's going to be almost impossible for me to attend at such short notice due to current work commitments here!

I'm officially a sand-dancer!!! lol!
so am I
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Woohoo! you'll probably understand why I'm keen to get away then lol!

Only been back 2 years, having lived in Dublin for 8 years....so have a strange half irish/ half geordie accent at the minute!

Definitely time for pastures new!!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:42 pm
Concierge

Woohoo! you'll probably understand why I'm keen to get away then lol!

Only been back 2 years, having lived in Dublin for 8 years....so have a strange half irish/ half geordie accent at the minute!

Definitely time for pastures new!!
yup I think I do, I have been here a long time and I can honestly say I don't miss Shields a bit.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Nothing to miss......I stood in the supermarket queue yesterday next to two women wearing their pyjamas......just confirmed I was making the right decision!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's a teacher here in RIyadh KSA, Was just commenting on the private tuition thing. Depends on how you look at it really. She has worked with teachers, who arrange three sessions per night, every night of the week. each session is an hour. THis can be incredibly lucrative, so much so, that some teachers earn more this way, than their salaries.

BUT - all depends if you want all day and all night teaching. Certainly here in Saudi, it's the done thing to have private tutors for nearly every subject. Would imagine it's pretty much a similar culture in UAE.

Good luck with the move.

...and what is a 'sand dancer' ?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:15 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If housing is completely covered (including the utilities and internet/tv package) and the bulk of your transportation covered by the school, then 11,000 a month isn't bad. For a single person factor on spending 800 a week for food + entertainment. You should be able to bank a thousand quid a month, easily.

I do want to point out that AD isn't the same as Dubai. The two are quite different places. Dubai is more "happening" and has much better beaches. AD is a far quieter town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.