Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

jamesmash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Hi,
I am going to an interview for a job with Al Hosn Gas which provides a salary and housing package.
I am also wanting to take my gf who has a degree in Law but no experience yet and she does not mind working her way up, can you see any problems of her getting any type of job out there and enjoying our lives together over there?
It is going to be a big leap of faith as i am leaving a good job in England for a possible new life over in Abu Dhabi.
Offering $4000 a month plus housing
Any advice or opinions would be greatly recieved
Thanks
James Masshedar
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Originally Posted by jamesmash
Hi,
I am going to an interview for a job with Al Hosn Gas which provides a salary and housing package.

Great.

I am also wanting to take my gf who has a degree in Law but no experience yet and she does not mind working her way up, can you see any problems of her getting any type of job out there and enjoying our lives together over there?
Yes. She needs to get her own job (and more importantly visa) or you will have to make an honest girl of her.

It is going to be a big leap of faith as i am leaving a good job in England for a possible new life over in Abu Dhabi.

Not really. Hundreds of thousands of Brits have done exactly the same thing over the years. It's really not that much of a leap of faith.

Find out how much the housing is. This is key.

don't eat yellow snow.

Thanks
James Masshedar
Old Dec 29th 2012, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

housing is a 2 bed appartment in a complex,
Mainly my gf getting a job im most worried about
Old Dec 29th 2012, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

housing is a 2 bed appartment in a complex,
Mainly my gf getting a job im most worried about
Are you working at gas field? i.e. somewhere in the empty quarter? The misses isn't going to live there.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

yes on a 4 on 4 off rotation, they said the appartment is in the city and on my 4 days at work i have to travel and stay at the gas field
Old Dec 29th 2012, 4:36 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like you'll get a bachelor appt then - 1 poss 2 bed. It may not even be your own (i.e. you are sharing kitchen, bathroom, living area with other guys). You'll need to check the details.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Im going to have to find out then! I cant imagine enjoying sharing and i only want to go if my gf can get sorted too thank you
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Your mrs will need her own visa, ie: her own job. Unless you marry her, then you can sponsor her until she finds work.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 7:58 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

A piece of advice: don't post your full name on a public forum, especially at this stage. I'd recommend you not only ask a mod to remove it, but also change your user name.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 11:37 am
Just Joined

smileyoldpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi James, I just ran into your thread by googling al hosn gas.
I too have an interview next week for a position at a gas field in Liwa, staying (in supplied accommodation) in Abu Dhabi.
I have been to Abu Dhabi several times about 4-5 years ago and I really like the place. However, I am single.
I'm not sure of the situation of living together with your girlfriend in the same apartment is allowed, I suggest you look into this.
Usually the apartments are for single or married people/families, I'm not so sure that unmarried relationships are allowed to live together. Please check this as I may be wrong.
I have my interview on monday the 11th in London, maybe I might bump into you there or hopefully in Abu Dhabi :-)
If not, good luck with your interview.
Kind regards
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Welshpat1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Hi,
Thanks
James Masshedar
Hi James,
I've also got an interview with Al Hosn on Saturday. Like yourself, this is going to be all new to me. In a good job on refinery in Wales , but going to London to see what's on offer. Same sort of package on offer but that isn't going to be enough to lure me abroad I'm afraid.
Don't know the job you're going for but I'm going for a Control Room Operator post, as that's what my job is here.
Hope you're interview goes well
Jt
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:23 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Just as no one has explicitly said this yet, I'll say it.

You cannot legally live with the opposite sex anywhere in the UAE – or Gulf for that matter – unless they are your wife, or family.

Nor can you sponsor her. And you can't live in the country without a sponsor (i.e. the person who gives you your visa).

That is why everyone is saying you'll have to marry her, or she will have to find a job before she moves out here.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:28 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Most O&G singletons I know (Unless they are well up the tree) Live in company accommodation blocks with MEN ONLY. It is impossible to take a woman back and probably unsafe to do so. You could ask for a housing allowance then you can get your own place.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future

Seems there's a few of us going for interviews. Mine is for a fire fighter position and the interview is on Saturday 12th. I've researched a hell of a lot and it seems ADNOC is a good company to work for out there. Im strughgling to find out if you have to accept the offered accomodation or if you can ask for an allowance instead.

Ill (hopefully) be going with my wife and daughter, to say we're excited is an understatement.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Welshpat1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by expathopeful
Seems there's a few of us going for interviews. Mine is for a fire fighter position and the interview is on Saturday 12th. I've researched a hell of a lot and it seems ADNOC is a good company to work for out there. Im strughgling to find out if you have to accept the offered accomodation or if you can ask for an allowance instead.

Ill (hopefully) be going with my wife and daughter, to say we're excited is an understatement.
Nice to hear that, not to sure about the accomodation thing but i was going to
negotiate with them if i was offered a job.My wife and children wouldn't be coming with me so not sure about the package.Maybe we will meet in london.Good luck hopefully

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.