Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

12,000 AED - enough? Wife, and one child?

12,000 AED - enough? Wife, and one child?

Old Mar 17th 2014, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

helloworld2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 12,000 AED - enough? Wife, and one child?

Yeah - I agree on both fronts.

I took the direct approach straight to the head of the company when I saw the number of applicants. In excess of 500 for that particular role - its been on there for a couple of months (but I'd only just seen it, yesterday). I'd be surprised if 5 had the relevant specific skills.

So, yeah - the direct approach might be the better option in some cases.

Good luck!

Helloworld2014
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
400 applicants, 380 straight to the bin, 20 to be looked at a bit more carefully. Another 17 in the bin. 3 in for interview, maybe 1 is good enough to get an offer. maybe not. That's my experience of Dubai recruitment.

I wouldn't worry about the 400 number.
This is why I now have a resourcer to do that work for me.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:46 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

400 applicants, 380 straight to the bin, 20 to be looked at a bit more carefully. Another 17 in the bin. 3 in for interview, maybe 1 is good enough to get an offer. maybe not. That's my experience of Dubai recruitment.

I wouldn't worry about the 400 number.
true for most of GCC although I'd put the number at around 600 with 580 in bin for Oman
Old Mar 20th 2014, 11:51 am
Just Joined

helloworld2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a little update - as you guys were very helpful in our decisions on whether to move over to DXB this year.

Got offered a position after speaking / telephone interview with the director of a company I approached directly (after seeing 400+ applicants to a particular vacancy). Offered 17.5K AED per month, as a local hire when we arrive. Just waiting for the pyhsical paper contract to come through. And I know even then it is not 100% until I'm there on the ground, with VISAs, medical, signed everything there in-person, and working in the position.

So, 31.5K AED per month (and all the 'benefits') is much better than the original 12K AED per month we were faced with just a week ago.

Thanks for all your help guys - much appreciated.

Helloworld2014
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:38 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helloworld2014
Just a little update - as you guys were very helpful in our decisions on whether to move over to DXB this year.

Got offered a position after speaking / telephone interview with the director of a company I approached directly (after seeing 400+ applicants to a particular vacancy). Offered 17.5K AED per month, as a local hire when we arrive. Just waiting for the pyhsical paper contract to come through. And I know even then it is not 100% until I'm there on the ground, with VISAs, medical, signed everything there in-person, and working in the position.

So, 31.5K AED per month (and all the 'benefits') is much better than the original 12K AED per month we were faced with just a week ago.

Helloworld2014
That is great news, congratulations. Life will be good on that sort of income.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:37 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helloworld2014

Helloworld2014
much much better
Old Mar 24th 2014, 11:01 am
Just Joined

kada is an unknown quantity at this point

i believe this offer is in very low side. you need to negotiate more or refuse it
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

RKI_83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kada
i believe this offer is in very low side. you need to negotiate more or refuse it
Sorry a side question -

I was offered a provisional offer which I accepted as my recruitment agent felt it would undermine the HR team if I was to negotiate. Following that my security check was done, now I have received an official offer - Is there still space for re-negotiation?
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by RKI_83
Sorry a side question -

I was offered a provisional offer which I accepted as my recruitment agent felt it would undermine the HR team if I was to negotiate. Following that my security check was done, now I have received an official offer - Is there still space for re-negotiation?
No.

Conditional offers are subject to certain things. This might include budgets, the rate the company agrees with their client to hire you etc etc.

You should have negotiated at conditional offer stage, it doesn't undermine anyone.

If you weren't happy with the money, you should have rejected it.

If you get the formal offer now, you have very little fall back. They are expecting you to take the job and will genuinely not understand if /when you now say no.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
No.

Conditional offers are subject to certain things. This might include budgets, the rate the company agrees with their client to hire you etc etc.

You should have negotiated at conditional offer stage, it doesn't undermine anyone.

If you weren't happy with the money, you should have rejected it.

If you get the formal offer now, you have very little fall back. They are expecting you to take the job and will genuinely not understand if /when you now say no.

I am saying Yes & [up 10% on base]
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

I am saying Yes & [up 10% on base]
Good luck.

They might do it just to save the hassle, but I've seen offers rescinded because of it too and I quote "I'd rather wait and employ someone who won't **** me around".

every case is different though so all the best!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
Good luck.

They might do it just to save the hassle, but I've seen offers rescinded because of it too and I quote "I'd rather wait and employ someone who won't **** me around".

every case is different though so all the best!
Thanks for the advise.

I may just bite the bullet and see how things turn out.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

is the 10% really that important to you?
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

is the 10% really that important to you?
I guess it wont change my life..I have settled for the offer.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

I guess it wont change my life..I have settled for the offer.
I think wise. If you were warned off negotiating for the provisional offer then negging at the last hurdle might not have been smart.

You'll never know, but at least you've got a job you wanted????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.