Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

"Your case is currently under review." What does this mean in layman's terms?

"Your case is currently under review." What does this mean in layman's terms?

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

nosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to behold
Default "Your case is currently under review." What does this mean in layman's terms?

My husband had his visa interview on the 21st of January; one of the documents that was needed was a Hong Kong police cert which had not arrived at the embassy yet. The officer stated that he *would* approve the case that day BUT could not do so until the police cert had arrived, and my husband was given a 221g form.

Fast-forward to today: the CEAC status tracker still lists our case as 'administrative processing.' An e-mail inquiry reveals that the police certificate has indeed been received by the embassy, but, as you can see in the screenshot, our case is 'under review.' My husband was born and raised in Hong Kong (I've read that being born in a country that is not in the UK can trigger additional security checks in London), but is a British citizen.

I've called the NVC and they have no record of our case (it was filed DCF), so I'm guessing the review is at a consular level. I don't expect anyone to tell me how long this will take as it's impossible to know (the uncertainty is killing me!), but could someone here offer some insight as to what 'under review' means? Are they just in the process of approving his visa after receipt of the police certificate, or is this full-blown administrative processing?

Thank you all so much.

Last edited by nosceteipsummm; Feb 3rd 2014 at 2:14 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:15 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Your case is currently under review." What does this mean in layman's terms?

Originally Posted by nosceteipsummm
My husband had his visa interview on the 21st of January; one of the documents that was needed was a Hong Kong police cert which had not arrived at the embassy yet. The officer stated that he *would* approve the visa that day, BUT could not approve the case until the police cert had arrived, and my husband was given a 221g form.

Fast-forward to today: the CEAC status tracker still lists our case as 'administrative processing.' An e-mail inquiry reveals that the police certificate has indeed been received by the embassy, but, as you can see in the screenshot, our case is 'under review.' My husband was born and raised in Hong Kong (I've read that being born in a country that is not in the UK can trigger additional security checks in London), but is a British citizen.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3698/1...ddbc82dbe6.jpg

I've called the NVC and they have no record of our case (it was filed DCF), so I'm guessing the review is at a consular level. I don't expect anyone to tell me how long this will take as it's impossible to know (the uncertainty is killing me!), but could someone here offer some insight as to what 'under review' means? Are they just in the process of approving his visa after receipt of the police certificate, or is this full-blown administrative processing?

Thank you all so much.
From what you've written it sounds like the application simply couldn't be approved due to a lack of a police certificate, hence the 221g. Now the certificate has been received, hopefully the case will have a decision made on it sooner rather than later.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Your case is currently under review." What does this mean in layman's terms?

The Police Certificate needs to be paired up with your husband's file and an officer has to find the time to sit down, review the file and new police certificate and then make a decision. It can take 24 hours or weeks. But I would say the average for having a decision made once the missing document is received is usually 2 weeks.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:38 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

In old Hollywoodspeak: "Don't call us, we'll call you."
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I've called the NVC and they have no record of our case (it was filed DCF)
NVC is not involved in DCF cases, so they have never seen your case.

but could someone here offer some insight as to what 'under review' means?
Very simply, it means the case is being reviewed.

Are they just in the process of approving his visa after receipt of the police certificate, or is this full-blown administrative processing?
Since the notice doesn't say "Administrative Processing", I assume it's simply under review, and not the full-blown admin process you're thinking of.

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

nosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to beholdnosceteipsummm is a splendid one to behold

Thank you so much, everybody. You'd think that if he was subject to additional administrative processing they'd e-mail about it, no?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 9:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much, everybody. You'd think that if he was subject to additional administrative processing they'd e-mail about it, no?
Maybe.

Don't be surprised if you're checking CEAC and suddenly it changes from "under review" to "admin processing". Admin processing also means just processing the visa. Don't freak out; just check in another few days and it should say "issued".

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Maybe.

Don't be surprised if you're checking CEAC and suddenly it changes from "under review" to "admin processing". Admin processing also means just processing the visa. Don't freak out; just check in another few days and it should say "issued".

Rene
Ah it's said admin processing since the day of his interview, so I guess all I can do is sit back, breathe, and try to focus on something else.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. All it means is it's sitting in someone's inbox and when he/she gets to it, a decision will be made!

As others have said, all the grunt work is done and it shouldn't take long for it to be reviewed. After all, the officer just hasto check it, review the file and make a decision.

There's nothing oyu can do now except sit back and wait.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Yeah. All it means is it's sitting in someone's inbox and when he/she gets to it, a decision will be made!

As others have said, all the grunt work is done and it shouldn't take long for it to be reviewed. After all, the officer just hasto check it, review the file and make a decision.

There's nothing oyu can do now except sit back and wait.
The CEAC status JUST changed to 'Ready' and lists today's date as a status update date. Looks like he'll be getting his visa quite soon!