Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

You may think I'm crazy. How to slow down the I-130 being approved

You may think I'm crazy. How to slow down the I-130 being approved

Old Mar 1st 2015, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Deejames is on a distinguished road
Default You may think I'm crazy. How to slow down the I-130 being approved

We intend to emigrate to the states, and hoped to do it at the end of this year.
Our chosen mode of transport is on the QM2, as we can transport our dogs in comfort, which has been a BIG worry when looking into flying them out in the hold. We have just discovered that these crossings get booked up years in advance, and we're waiting to hear if we can get any space on the Nov or Dec crossing? If not, the next ones not until May 2016!
Please don't comment if you don't understand how important and precious our dogs are, really don't need sarcastic comments on this one.
My I-130 was sent to London in the beginning of February, originally hoping it would be approved and we would be within the 6 months timeframe of using it after approval.
We may now have to postpone our move until May to get on a ship that has space for our 3 dogs, and obviously, if my visa is approved in the next few months, even with the 6 months I would have to move, it wouldn't take us to May 2016.
My question is, how can I slow up the process of my application if I need to?
Thanks for any help!
Old Mar 1st 2015, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You may think I'm crazy. How to slow down the I-130 being approved

At each step in the process where you (meaning petitioner and beneficiary) are required to respond, you can delay for up to a year before the Immigrant Visa Unit will close your case. Once you get your approval and your LND case reference it'd probably be sensible to contact them via their web form to say you won't be moving forward until early 2016.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

That's great!
Thank you rpjs :-)
Old Mar 1st 2015, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deejames
... if my visa is approved in the next few months, even with the 6 months I would have to move...
To clarify, you aren't obligated to move within 6 months... you're obligated to use the visa within 6 months. That could be as simple as getting on a plane in month 5 (for example), flying to the US, having your visa endorsed, and then returning to the UK. You can then return later on the QM2. Yes, it's an extra fare cost, but completely doable in a pinch.

Ian
Old Mar 1st 2015, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Ian.
I hadn't realised that! I thought you had to move within the 6 months. Won't the immigration officer ask me why I'm here, and if I say to visit, couldn't that cause problems?
Old Mar 1st 2015, 9:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Ian.
I hadn't realised that! I thought you had to move within the 6 months. Won't the immigration officer ask me why I'm here, and if I say to visit, couldn't that cause problems?
You wouldn't be visiting. You'd be immigrating. No one will question why you're coming to the USA; you have an immigrant visa in your passport.

Once you arrive in the USA, you get an I-551 stamp (i.e. green card) valid for one year, meaning you have become a US Permanent Resident. You can turn right around and leave the USA if you want to.

Best not to be outside the USA for more than 5 - 6 months, though. And you'll need a stable US mailing address for your plastic green card and social security card to arrive at (you can use a family or friend's address if you need to).

Rene
Old Mar 1st 2015, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Rene, you really are a font of knowledge on the subject :-)
This makes things much clearer to me :-)
Old Mar 1st 2015, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This makes things much clearer to me :-)
I'm sorry, but I forgot one important thing... you can't enter the US unless your USC sponsor (most likely your husband) is either with you or already in the US - so, you'd both need to travel. But, as Rene noted, it can be as simple as in one day, out the next... or even later that day if you like.

Ian
Old Mar 1st 2015, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Approaching the subject from a slightly different angle... Is there a specific reason it has to be the QM2? Have you looked into the feasibility of bringing dogs across on a container ship (not as cargo but with yourselves as paying passengers!!!) or is it that you'd just rather travel a little more comfortably?
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

I had read somewhere else a while ago that it was possible to travel on a container ship with animals but haven't been able to find much info on it?
My hubby would travel with me to the states if we had to do it that way, by air, just to get my visa stamped.
We're so frustrated with ourselves for not realising getting the dogs on board should be booked so far in advance!
Will find out today if there's any space on the Nov or Dec crossings, but it's looking highly unlikely :-(
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I read an article on cargo cruises a while back (I think in the Sunday Times Magazine) and more recently spotted this thread...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/overs...abroad-852095/

...which may help you should you wish to look into it any further
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I will check out the link :-)
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I remeber when this was discussed before that they only let mini dogs on board. Seems the kennels are a bit on the small side.

Begs the question what is wrong with flying? At least it is relatively quick
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about

I remember reading that someone took their dogs via Luthansa (and also I think KLM may do )as they allow dogs in the cabin but of course it meant 2 separate legs of the journey? I thought I had read it on Dive into America Facebook site. I have asked on there and some one else remembered both these airlines do fly dogs to the USA. What sort of dogs do you have? Ours is a rough collie (lassie type! ). Let us know how you go on please.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

They have 6 small kennels and 6 larger kennels on board and 2 kennel can be opened up to make 1 larger one.
Flying is very stressful on the dogs, and I've read some real horror stories. It's just not something we will do :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.