Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Working towards joining my wife in California – an introduction

Working towards joining my wife in California – an introduction

Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working towards joining my wife in California – an introduction

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Made an appointment with the GP during my lunch break one day to look through the record to see what was missing, asked him to type up a report as I have been treated for depression before (including hospitalisation)...
Thank you for sharing this, Twinkle. You have prompted me to make an appointment to speak to my doctor, as I have an extensive history of treatment for depression, and hadn't stopped to consider that I perhaps ought to ask for a note/letter to accompany my medical report.

May I ask, were you questioned about this at interview/medical? I was treated (medicated and counselled), on and off, from the age of fourteen until my late twenties and while I have no qualms about sharing any of this with anyone at any stage of this immigration, I am suddenly mindful that it could raise eyebrows. I've had no need for medication since 2010 and finished a course of therapy in 2013, which helped greatly, and am hopeful that a letter from my GP will be enough to assure the doctors at Knightsbridge that I am fit and well.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Jamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
ACRO (not ARCO) police report is required for the NVC for spouses, long before the medical! The best time for spouses to apply for it is when the I-130 is close to being approved (about 5 months after it was sent unless your file was recently sent to the Texas service centre). Fiancés don't need it until the medical.

Getting vaccination records was easy for me. Computerised records have made it that way. Made an appointment with the GP during my lunch break one day to look through the record to see what was missing, asked him to type up a report as I have been treated for depression before (including hospitalisation), came back during lunch break a few days later for the missing vaccine to be administered, picked up the report that the doctor had done and the receptionist printed my vaccine record there and then. Took no more than 20 minutes each time.
Yeah I've just started looking into the ACRO certificate and will probably send it off soon as the 5 months is almost up.

In terms of vaccinations I'm sure it'll be fairly simple to go and get that all done with the GP, as you did. The only issue is that I'm not allowed to have any 'live' vaccines due to medication I am taking. As far as I'm aware, most live vaccines are for tropical diseases like malaria. I'm sure I can get the doctor to write a letter explaining this before the medical, however, if there are any live ones on the list.

I do have a chronic medical condition that is under control with the help of medication and is non contagious. Could you see this raising any questions/issues at the medical exam?
Old Jan 10th 2017, 11:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamster
I do have a chronic medical condition that is under control with the help of medication and is non contagious. Could you see this raising any questions/issues at the medical exam?
As long as you don't pose a threat or harm to yourself or others, should not be a problem.

Rene
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamster
I'm sure I can get the doctor to write a letter explaining this before the medical, however, if there are any live ones on the list.
The list of vaccinations is freely available here.

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

adam31 is an unknown quantity at this point

any help would be great
Old Jan 15th 2017, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adam31
any help would be great
A new thread has been opened... just for you!

Ian