Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Working towards joining my wife in California – an introduction

Working towards joining my wife in California – an introduction

Old Jan 4th 2017, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Jamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really nice
Default Working towards joining my wife in California – an introduction

Hi everyone,

I don't know why it didn't occur occcur to me to join a website like this earlier, but better late than never I suppose!

I am a 24-year-old British man who has been married to my 20-year-old American wife for a little over 6 months.

We met online 4 years ago, but didn't start dating until 2 years ago. I first went over there in the summer of 2015 and she visited the UK the following Christmas – where I proposed and she said yes!

We decided to get married in the UK in July, with her on a marriage visitor visa. Afterwards we travelled together back to Southern California before I returned to the UK in August.

It was always our intention to live in the States and so in late August my wife sent off the I-130 form to start the process to get me there. I was still able to travel to the US as a visitor under the ESTA program and just got back to the UK having spent Christmas there.

The I-130 is being processed in Nebraska and we are hoping to get the notification of approval later this month (if they are still on track with the 5 month ETA).

We have spent quite a bit of time reading up on the whole process and are hopeful of me moving over there in June-July if everything goes smoothly. Obviously we would like it to be even sooner but trying to keep it realistic!

My wife is planning on coming here to attend the medical exam and embassy interview with me, and then, fingers crossed, we can fly back to California together.

My wife and I are happy to answer any questions (within reason ), and we would also be particularly interested to hear about others' experiences with the immigrant process, British expats experiences living in America and experiences with long distance marriages and being away from your partner for long periods of time.

I will try and post fairly regularly from now on with updates on the process.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 4:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working towards joining my wife in California – an introduction

Originally Posted by Jamster
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are happy to answer any questions (within reason ), and we would also be particularly interested to hear about others' experiences with the immigrant process, British expats experiences living in America and experiences with long distance marriages and being away from your partner for long periods of time.

I will try and post fairly regularly from now on with updates on the process.

Welcome to BE. You posted first in the marriage-based visa section as opposed to the Welcome Inn so let me take this opportunity to not only welcome you but to ask that you read the site rules first before posting again. We have concierges, moderators and super moderators and one all seeing leader. If you have any difficulties manipulating through the site, please let one of the mods or super mods know by message and they will be happy to assist.

The two US immigration forums have been around for over a decade and we welcome all people seeking answers to questions on emigrating to the US. Everyone who replies to a post has been there and done that and offer up their past and current information and knowledge to all members.

I would also strongly suggest that you and your wife set up separate accounts on BE and not switch users under one membership. Also suggested is that you read as many current threads as possible to get a feel of site and how your participation might best be served.

Please feel free to read and participate in the US general forum and the Trailer Park. Also of interest to you might be the Lounge and if you like to debate and are thick skinned there is also the Take It Outside forum.

Again, welcome.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 7:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

@Rete
I'm curious, where in the site rules does it say you have to post in the Welcome Inn first? I'm asking because you actually told the OP off as if he had broken a rule
Old Jan 4th 2017, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Jamster!

My husband and I are currently going through the same process! I am a UK citizen, he's from PA, and we filed our I-130 in October. I'll look forward to hearing of your progress through the system, and will keep my eyes peeled for any tips you might offer along the way.

Fingers crossed the 5 month ETA is still on course, and that you receive your NOA2 very soon!

Congratulations on your recent wedding!
Old Jan 4th 2017, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey and welcome.

Where you headed to in the States? California?

Originally Posted by mfh
@Rete
I'm curious, where in the site rules does it say you have to post in the Welcome Inn first? I'm asking because you actually told the OP off as if he had broken a rule
I didn't read that as a telling off. I'm fairly sure Rete didn't mean it that way...
Old Jan 4th 2017, 1:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
@Rete
You misconstrued my reply. No there is no rule that says a newbie has to post in the Welcome Inn first
Old Jan 4th 2017, 10:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Jamster! I would say that a decent percentage, perhaps even a majority, of us came to the US via marriage (myself included). There is a wealth of knowledge here.

One piece of advice... the search button is your friend!

One more piece of advice... don't mind Ian or Pulsaki. They don't bite. Most of the time.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE, and a preemptive welcome to California!
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome aboard! I'm about to get on a plane to Texas and get married on my K1, so different process but same end result. I've found this forum to be a great resource and very welcoming too
Old Jan 5th 2017, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
One more piece of advice... don't mind Ian or Pulsaki. They don't bite. Most of the time.
Operative word: most!

Ian
Old Jan 6th 2017, 5:38 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!

I am a recent graduate of the spousal visa marathon. We sent the I-130 at the beginning of February 2016. Interview was 6 December and I arrived here (Seattle) on 19 December. Started my new job this week.

Patience is a virtue!
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Jamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Welcome to BE. You posted first in the marriage-based visa section as opposed to the Welcome Inn so let me take this opportunity to not only welcome you but to ask that you read the site rules first before posting again. We have concierges, moderators and super moderators and one all seeing leader. If you have any difficulties manipulating through the site, please let one of the mods or super mods know by message and they will be happy to assist.

The two US immigration forums have been around for over a decade and we welcome all people seeking answers to questions on emigrating to the US. Everyone who replies to a post has been there and done that and offer up their past and current information and knowledge to all members.

I would also strongly suggest that you and your wife set up separate accounts on BE and not switch users under one membership. Also suggested is that you read as many current threads as possible to get a feel of site and how your participation might best be served.

Please feel free to read and participate in the US general forum and the Trailer Park. Also of interest to you might be the Lounge and if you like to debate and are thick skinned there is also the Take It Outside forum.

Again, welcome.
Ok no problem. I will definitely spend some time navigating the site. If my wife does want to post then I will advise her to create her own account.

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to becoming part of the community!
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KK85
Hi, Jamster!

My husband and I are currently going through the same process! I am a UK citizen, he's from PA, and we filed our I-130 in October. I'll look forward to hearing of your progress through the system, and will keep my eyes peeled for any tips you might offer along the way.

Fingers crossed the 5 month ETA is still on course, and that you receive your NOA2 very soon!

Congratulations on your recent wedding!
Hi! good to meet someone going through the same process as us!

Yes of course, feel free to ask anything. Hopefully in a few months time I will be able to share my experiences with other parts of the process. Having to say goodbye every time isn't getting any easier and we can't wait until we can be living together for good!

Thanks for the congratulations and best of luck with the process! I will check for updates
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Hey and welcome.

Where you headed to in the States? California?

I didn't read that as a telling off. I'm fairly sure Rete didn't mean it that way...
Yes my wife lives in the South Bay Area of LA county. Spent around 2-3 months there in total over the last 2 years as a visitor and really enjoyed it!
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
Welcome Jamster! I would say that a decent percentage, perhaps even a majority, of us came to the US via marriage (myself included). There is a wealth of knowledge here.

One piece of advice... the search button is your friend!

Thank you! It's good to know that a lot of people have successfully got through the process. Right now it's quite difficult waiting for the first stage to be approved but I'm sure after we get further in things will go a bit quicker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.