Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Withdrawing a petition & can he sue???

Withdrawing a petition & can he sue???

Old Dec 1st 2003, 7:36 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Withdrawing a petition & can he sue???

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that this had to happen to you!!

About keeping the engagement ring: I have a friend who was engaged to a girl and then she ended the engagement and he wanted the ring back but she wouldn't give it back to him. They ended up being contacted by one of those court TV shows (I think perhaps Judge Judy?) where it was decided that the girl had to give the ring back due to the fact that she broke it off.
So I presume a good bit of it has to do with the fact of who broke the relationship up. In your case it would have obviously been your ex-fiance as he cheated on you. So I think you would probably have a better chance of keeping it based on what happened to my friend.

As far as the threatening is concerned: wow, that's scary! I have no idea how that works, especially if you weren't in the US when he threatened you, but I hope that you can do SOMETHING about it either way. Abusive people, grrrrr.

PS Oops, I just realized that I didn't pay attention to the fact that this was actually a 4 page thread so I skipped the inbetween pages. Sorry if I stated something that was already discussed!

Last edited by Steffi; Dec 1st 2003 at 7:40 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

krissyv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

If you are interested here's what I wrote him last night at least it will get him off my back for a few weeks so this can cool down and i can decide what i will do:

Hey Mark,

I’ve realised after looking at your advertisement on www.adultfriendfinder.com that the real problem with our relationship was that I wanted to believe that you were actually a better person than this.

As I said all along – you are a great guy with things are going well for you but when they aren’t then you make self destructive choices, with no thought to the consequences for yourself or others. In all honesty I’m really worried about the track you’re taking at the moment....I just feel so sorry that I had to witness such a low point in your life.

As for the ring, which I’m sure is the only thing you’re really interested in right now, below is a heads up on California law regarding this issue;

The statute that governs is Civil Code 1590, and it requires return of the ring unless there is a court finding that you don't have to give it back:

"Where either party to a contemplated marriage in this State makes a gift of money or property to the other on the basis or assumption that the marriage will take place, in the event that the donee refuses to enter into the marriage as contemplated or that it is given up by mutual consent, the donor may recover such gift or such part of its value as may, under all of the circumstances of the case, be found by a court or jury to be just".

As you can imagine I never contemplated a marriage where one party was cheating or posting ads on sex sites....nor was the engagement called off by mutual consent. You breached the agreement by your actions since November 8th.

Aside from that the agreement to marry was offered and accepted in New Zealand and as such comes under our civil jurisdiction.....

I have informed the US consulate of your refusal to withdraw the petition and the grounds on which the relationship has dissolved and they assure me that you can not have me barred from the US for any future travel or visas and are now on notice to cancel the petition when it arrives here.

Mark, I am considering my options as to this situation but would like some time to think about this without emotions being involved. I am very disappointed that you were reduced to abuse and threats when you hadn’t given me any opportunity to actually comprehend what has happened and am disturbed that you have never once offered an apology or shown remorse for your actions.

I will contact you in a few weeks but am quite happy for any correspondence to go through your attorney if you advise me of the details.

Look after yourself

Kris
Old Dec 1st 2003, 7:43 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

You go girl!!!!

Originally posted by krissyv
Hey guys,

If you are interested here's what I wrote him last night at least it will get him off my back for a few weeks so this can cool down and i can decide what i will do:

Hey Mark,

I’ve realised after looking at your advertisement on www.adultfriendfinder.com that the real problem with our relationship was that I wanted to believe that you were actually a better person than this.

As I said all along – you are a great guy with things are going well for you but when they aren’t then you make self destructive choices, with no thought to the consequences for yourself or others. In all honesty I’m really worried about the track you’re taking at the moment....I just feel so sorry that I had to witness such a low point in your life.

As for the ring, which I’m sure is the only thing you’re really interested in right now, below is a heads up on California law regarding this issue;

The statute that governs is Civil Code 1590, and it requires return of the ring unless there is a court finding that you don't have to give it back:

"Where either party to a contemplated marriage in this State makes a gift of money or property to the other on the basis or assumption that the marriage will take place, in the event that the donee refuses to enter into the marriage as contemplated or that it is given up by mutual consent, the donor may recover such gift or such part of its value as may, under all of the circumstances of the case, be found by a court or jury to be just".

As you can imagine I never contemplated a marriage where one party was cheating or posting ads on sex sites....nor was the engagement called off by mutual consent. You breached the agreement by your actions since November 8th.

Aside from that the agreement to marry was offered and accepted in New Zealand and as such comes under our civil jurisdiction.....

I have informed the US consulate of your refusal to withdraw the petition and the grounds on which the relationship has dissolved and they assure me that you can not have me barred from the US for any future travel or visas and are now on notice to cancel the petition when it arrives here.

Mark, I am considering my options as to this situation but would like some time to think about this without emotions being involved. I am very disappointed that you were reduced to abuse and threats when you hadn’t given me any opportunity to actually comprehend what has happened and am disturbed that you have never once offered an apology or shown remorse for your actions.

I will contact you in a few weeks but am quite happy for any correspondence to go through your attorney if you advise me of the details.

Look after yourself

Kris
Old Dec 1st 2003, 7:47 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry to hear what happened to you. It's terrible; at least you know now and not after marriage.

To me, a "relationship" is something exclusively between two people. So, since this Slimeball cheated on you, HE ended the relationship. My opinion is that the person that ended the relationship should give up the ring...I think you should keep it. Or, give him the ring without the diamond so he can fit his brain where the diamond used to be. Probably a perfect fit!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 7:52 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

[i]...I think you should keep it. Or, give him the ring without the diamond so he can fit his brain where the diamond used to be. Probably a perfect fit!

Oh, surely the diamond isn't that small?!?!?!

tee hee hee.........
Old Dec 1st 2003, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

nope its not!!!!!

thanks guys for making me laugh about this one.....

Krissy
Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

nope its not!!!!!

Krissy
Is there no way you guys can work things out?
Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:04 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Hey Mark,

Look after yourself

Kris
Yay Kris, you go girl!!!
As for support.. You have us here
Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:06 pm
WTF?

Originally posted by BritishInOhio

*SLAP*
Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:08 pm
WTF?

nope its not!!!!!

Krissy

I'm not making light of your situation ........ But you have to laugh when everything falls apart. Acting crazy is the only way to keep your sanity.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Leslie66
*SLAP*
The really dumb thing is that a big part of me is wishing today that he would ring and apologize because I love him so much....but the sensible side of me thinks he would just do it all over again....
Krissy
Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:09 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

???
Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:12 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

whoa.,. this whole thing is insane.. what a louse.

first I do think contacting the police is probably not a bad idea, who knows what else he is up to..

second, I am thinking give the ring back.. why would you want it anyway? maybe it will stop the harrassment..

very sorry to read this.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:13 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

The really dumb thing is that a big part of me is wishing today that he would ring and apologize because I love him so much....but the sensible side of me thinks he would just do it all over again....
Krissy
People do change, and it is very stressfull when you are apart for so long. I know that the likes of Leslie66 and her gang are going to be up in arms about this, but I would think before making any decisions and try to talk things out. You may still come to the same decision but you may feel better about how you got there. Good luck in you decisions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.