Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Will I get my social security number ok?

Will I get my social security number ok?

Old Sep 26th 2017, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will I get my social security number ok?

I was hoping the sale of my house would go through before my CR/IR visa ran out, unfortunately it didn't so I made the trip over to the U.S. a week before it expired to activate it, knowing I'd unfortunately have to come back to the UK for a short while.
I went through US customs with my large sealed white envelope and all was well. Within 15 minutes I was told my visa was all done and good to go, and that I was to use it for getting my SS number, and as a green card until my actual card would be sent to me. I explained I had to return to the UK for a short while and was told that was fine.
However today I went in to the SS building to at least start things before my return to the UK in a few days. I waited in turn, explained my situation to the attendant whom then proceeded to tell me I needed 14 days left on my visa application to get my SS number, and that I needed to visit the local USCIS to have any chance of getting this sorted.
I've made an appointment for tomorrow morning at the USCIS but have to admit my stomach is churning at the thought of this all blowing up in my face and me ending up having to start to the whole visa process again in the UK.
Can anyone allay my fears on this?
P.S. sorry my post is so long but I wanted to fully explain myself.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 12:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I get my social security number ok?

Please try a different social security office. Unfortunately, you met up with a idiot who does not know the difference between a visa and a green card. Your visa became invalid the moment you entered the US and had your passport stamped with the I-551.

We had to go to a difference officer when we encountered problems with a stupid and obnoxious clerk years back. A different office sorted it out right then and there.

Please let us know how you make out at the USCIS.

P.S. I have asked that your post be transferred to the proper forum ... marriage-based visa forum
Old Sep 27th 2017, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Stevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Please try a different social security office. Unfortunately, you met up with a idiot who does not know the difference between a visa and a green card. Your visa became invalid the moment you entered the US and had your passport stamped with the I-551.

We had to go to a difference officer when we encountered problems with a stupid and obnoxious clerk years back. A different office sorted it out right then and there.

Please let us know how you make out at the USCIS.

P.S. I have asked that your post be transferred to the proper forum ... marriage-based visa forum
Hi Rete, thank you so much for replying. You have certainly helped alleviate my fears. It just didn't sit right that nothing has been said by the immigration officer at the airport. Like I said he told me precisely that I could go get my SS etc started.
I will definitely let you know how things work out
Old Sep 27th 2017, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I was also told by the person at the SS office I wasn't entitled to a Social Security Number as I was on a K1... I had the print-out off their website stating that I could obtain a SSN.

So as Rete said, go to a different office and I'm sure you'll be fine!
Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BenK91
I was also told by the person at the SS office I wasn't entitled to a Social Security Number as I was on a K1... I had the print-out off their website stating that I could obtain a SSN.

So as Rete said, go to a different office and I'm sure you'll be fine!
Seems we have a recurring theme here 😄
Seeing as I have the appointment for the USCIS already booked for in the morning I might as well go along and see what they have to say too.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and to make it even worse: Someone, somewhere (I believe at my POE in NYC) put my middle name down along with my first name so that caused even more confusion too.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BenK91
Oh and to make it even worse: Someone, somewhere (I believe at my POE in NYC) put my middle name down along with my first name so that caused even more confusion too.
In the words of that famous American "oh brother ". !!
Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:39 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you tick the box in the DS-260 to have one allocated to you automatically? I did and it came in the mail exactly three weeks after I arrived (and probably would have been quicker had I not landed here a few days before Christmas).
Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stevie P
Seems we have a recurring theme here. .....
Unfortunately it's not just the SS office - you will soon learn that the US government - federal, state, and city, is largely staffed by idiots.
In the words of that famous American "oh brother ". !!
When my green card came through a few weeks after I arrived, they had changed the spelling of my surname, to make a different word - like Jones changed to Bones, and they had changed my nationality to "Irish"!

Not that there was ever a good time to make two material errors, but it did seem that three months after 9/11 was an extraordinarily bad time for the federal government to be issuing a photo ID with significant errors.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 27th 2017 at 1:48 am.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

So I went to my appointment with the USCIS they said it's a common issue and the sentence on my visa "serves as temporary I-551 evidence permanent residence for 1 year " covers all things. And to go back to the SS and have their supervisor sort it out.
I went back to the SS and they still cannot help me because I'm supposed to have 14 days left on my visa. And that I have to wait until my I-551 card arrives.
The USCIS says it's fine but the SS say it's not and it's a road block, Unbelievable!!
Old Sep 27th 2017, 3:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You have the time, so do a search for a new social security office to go to and have a go there. I was knew that USCIS would tell you exactly what I did but that the peons at the SS office are a right bunch of ijits.

While the lack of a SS card will hinder you in getting a driver's license, it won't stop you from working and/or looking for and accepting employment.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 3:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So I went to my appointment with the USCIS they said it's a common issue and the sentence on my visa "serves as temporary I-551 evidence permanent residence for 1 year " covers all things. And to go back to the SS and have their supervisor sort it out.
I went back to the SS and they still cannot help me because I'm supposed to have 14 days left on my visa. And that I have to wait until my I-551 card arrives.
The USCIS says it's fine but the SS say it's not and it's a road block, Unbelievable!!
You don't have a visa! It was a single entry visa and expired when you entered the US. The staff at the SSA office you visited are idiots - you are a Legal Permanent Resident of the US with a right to a SSN. Find another SSA office to go to and try again.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 27th 2017 at 3:19 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for replying both of you.
It's incredible isn't it? Apparently this is a common occurrence, as both the USCIS and SS said they have just delt with similar problems in the past few days. And they seemed to have their words well rehearsed.
The USCIS acknowledged the lack of inter department communication.
It's going to be tight to get too another office before we go back but if I do get anywhere further I'll post updates
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:02 pm

Thanks for replying both of you.
It's incredible isn't it? Apparently this is a common occurrence, as both the USCIS and SS said they have just delt with similar problems in the past few days. And they seemed to have their words well rehearsed.
The USCIS acknowledged the lack of inter department communication.
It's going to be tight to get too another office before we go back but if I do get anywhere further I'll post updates
Well you could always try going back to the same SSA office if you're up for an argument - use the words I used above "My visa expired on entry - it was a single use visa. I am an LPR, I have a right to a SSN, I have a legal right to work, and my employer needs me to have an SSN."

You could also try threatening them with your local congressman (representative or even senator - get the name ahead of going), as they are known to intervene in idiotic cases Iike this.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:31 pm
Concierge

And if you encounter the same type of clerk that we encountered, you will be told that if you uttered one more word you would be forcibly removed and the police called.

Since you are not staying in the US but leaving shortly, then just wait for the green card to arrive (assuming you have given a safe address for its receipt) and then go for your social security card when you return and have it in hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.