Where to start?..

Old Jan 20th 2017, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

CoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to start?..

Hi all, apologies for the very newbie post. I have had a look through some of the sticky threads, but still a bit confused about the various types of visa through marriage.

I looked through here - Comparison of marriage-based visas : British Expat Wiki

which reels of lots of different options for difference circumstances, but i did not however see, unless i missed it, what to do if you are already in the US and marry a USC.

My situation is as follows:

I am here on a P1 visa that is good to the end of the year, but am now married to a USC and we would like to start the green card process imminently. We're not too flush for money, so would like to at least look into doing paperwork ourselves (though i suspect this might be too tricky and we'll end up going the lawyer route).

Would love any guidance on where to start, whether its recommended reading, or even just telling me which type of visa/application i need to to apply for so i an read up on it. Of course direction to an idiots guide for the process in my situation would be ideal if anyone has that!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CoachMB; Jan 20th 2017 at 6:32 am.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start?..

Look at our Wiki Guide for Adjustment of Status.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2017, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoachMB
... what to do if you are already in the US and marry a USC.
As Rene notes, you want to adjust your status - so that's where you need to look.

Would love any guidance on where to start, whether its recommended reading, or even just telling me which type of visa/application i need to to apply for so i an read up on it.
First off, you don't need a visa because you're already in the US... and a visa is a travel document. You'll be adjusting status... from P-1 status to permanent resident.

Your USC spouse will file forms: I-130, I-864, and G-325A. You will file forms: I-485, I-131, I-765, and G325A. All the forms are filed together in one big package and sent to the address listed on the I-485 which has jurisdiction for your state. There will be documentation and/or evidence (and fees) required for most forms. Treat each application as being separate, so there will be a duplication of information - this is normal.

You certainly don't need a lawyer to do this - and the members here will be happy to help you. All the forms are available at www.uscis.gov/forms. Be sure to also download the instructions for each form.

Ian
Old Jan 20th 2017, 1:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You also need a full medical done by a USCIS approved doctor. The sealed results go with the AOS package.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2017, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute

Coach MB: Believe the experts here, no lawyer is needed.
I did it by myself, adjusted from J-1 and got my green card with no problems.
Every time I was unsure, I asked here and got fast and competent help. It's really not hard, you just over-complicate it if you think too much
Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

CoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the responses. Reassuring to hear that its very possible to do it ourselves rather than shell out $2-4k or whatever for a a lawyer. I will take some time to look it over and no doubt will be back with further questions!

Thanks!