Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What type of non-immigrant visa for my British spouse?

What type of non-immigrant visa for my British spouse?

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

theanswer2222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What type of non-immigrant visa for my British spouse?

I’m an American citizen with a British spouse. I’ll be working in the US temporarily for 9 months and would like to bring my wife along with me. But I can’t figure out what non-immigrant visa category applies to her: the H-4 seems to only apply if both partners are on a visa; the K-3 is for spouses who are awaiting approval of an immigrant visa petition; and the B-2 would only let my wife stay for up to 6 months. We’ve both got jobs, a house, and family in the UK to which we intend to return.

My situation doesn’t seem that uncommon – any advice? Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What type of non-immigrant visa for my British spouse?

There is no "non-immigrant" visa for the spouse of a US citizen. You are correct that an H-4 is necessarily linked (trailing spouse) to a H-1, and likewise an L-2 to an L-1, and O-3 to an O-1, etc.

The only real option is to apply for a B-2 visa and hope that the consular official agrees that accompanying a US spouse (for five months) is a good enough reason to issue a B-2 to someone who is, I assume, otherwise VWP-eligible. And I think they probably will.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 2nd 2018 at 9:14 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

This is assuming you are aware that your spouse can't work whilst present in the US. Even for a British/remote employer.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

BTW she was already turned down for a B2 as per your thread in June of 2011. Why do you think she can get one now?

This seems to be a recurring scenario for you. In May of 2011 it was your wife and child who were wanting to come with you to the US to live for your 9 month temporary work assignment.

Now it is 2018 and you again have a temporary work assignment in the US for 9 months.

How did you handle it back in 2011 when she was denied a B-2 visa.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 2nd 2018 at 9:46 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 10:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
BTW she was already turned down for a B2 as per your thread in June of 2011. Why do you think she can get one now? .....
(i) I hadn't noticed she had been turned down before

(ii) A B-2 wouldn't work for a nine month visit, and it would create tax issues.

(iii) IMO A well presented case should support a B-2 application, and in any case there is no better alternative visa to apply for.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a GC, she can surrender it when she leaves.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
Get a GC, she can surrender it when she leaves.
You mean an IR-1 .... which would get her a green card when she enters thd US using it.

Well, it'll cost massively more, but that is certainly possible, but only if they are willing to go through a bit of a charade to show "intent to domicile".

That said, there was a case reported here on BE from someone who had reported getting an IR-1 from the London consulate and who absolutely did not intend to domicile in the US any time in the next decade, and was still given the IR-1 he applied for.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You mean an IR-1 .... which would get her a green card when she enters thd US using it.

Well, it'll cost massively more, but that is certainly possible, but only if they are willing to go through a bit of a charade to show "intent to domicile".

That said, there was a case reported here on BE from someone who had reported getting an IR-1 from the London consulate and who absolutely did not intend to domicile in the US any time in the next decade, and was still given the IR-1 he applied for.
Business expense.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 2:27 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

General comment - B-2 is the applicable category. If in the country for longer than six months, extension application will have to be made.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, everyone. This info is very helpful.

We have been through a similar situation before. (I'm an academic and sometimes spend the academic year at US universities.)

My partner applied for -- and was rejected for -- a B-2 visa last time. It was a frustrating experience. Although she seemed to meet the criteria in every way, she was rejected because she was below retirement age and might hypothetically use the visa as a way to apply for US jobs. This made little sense as my wife has always had good jobs in the UK and never wanted to move to the US.

She ended up coming over for a couple of 3-month stints on VWPs. This was expensive, stressful, and difficult to manage with two small children! (Both of whom have US passports)

We'll hope for better luck this time. I'd gladly pay a lawyer if it would make any difference.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by theanswer2222
..... My partner applied for -- and was rejected for -- a B-2 visa last time. It was a frustrating experience. Although she seemed to meet the criteria in every way, she was rejected because she was below retirement age and might hypothetically use the visa as a way to apply for US jobs. This made little sense ....
And the irony, that you not may find amusing, is that it is perfectly legal to search for work while in the US on a B-2 visa (or on the VWP), including applying for specific positions and attending interviews.

You might include evidence of your wife's ties to the UK, though quite frankly I'd she can afford to spend five months in the US, they can't be very strong ties.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

Partner or Spouse?
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Spouse (although she might have only been my partner last time around).

Another irony: the British academics at my research center can easily bring along their spouses using their J visas. It seems more difficult for Americans to bring along their spouses than non-Americans (!).

Our UK ties seem pretty strong to me. We've both worked our entire careers in the UK and have permanent jobs here; we've got a house and mortgage; most of our family is here. But occasionally we'd like to see my relatives too and expose the kids to the culture I grew up in.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

You colleagues need to apply and be approved for Visa's, you do not.

Your spouse can get a GC, they can not.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by theanswer2222
.... Our UK ties seem pretty strong to me. We've both worked our entire careers in the UK and have permanent jobs here; we've got a house and mortgage; most of our family is here. But occasionally we'd like to see my relatives too and expose the kids to the culture I grew up in.
You can sell a home remotely from US (I did so myself), you can abandon a job with minimal repercussions, ..... some people actually want to get away from family.

Really very little is a meaningful tie with respect to emigration. You might see them as ties, but the USCIS/ US consulate does not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.