Reload this Page >

what i can do as far as finances are concerned

what i can do as far as finances are concerned

Old Apr 28th 2016, 11:41 am
Just Joined

vinnyboy1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what i can do as far as finances are concerned

Hiya,

My name is vinny from the UK and was wondering if you can help me.

I recently got engaged early this month having been together with my girlfriend who lives in the usa for over a year.
After reading all the information on the usa website we are both confused as to which route will be best for us either K1 or Marriage base visa (CR1) as far as finances are concern, my Fiancé owns her own home which is worth around $30k and has about $11K savings as well two jobs, she earned about $8k last year and now is has a better job and she probably be on $12K for the next tax year. She doesn’t have family to help on the sponsorship. As we reading it we don’t make the financial requirements for me to move to the usa. I will be taking my savings which will be around $70k which I cant use for the application if the move happens next year June 2016. I appreciate some help please which route would be the best.
Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2016, 12:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: what i can do as far as finances are concerned

The K-1 and CR-1 both have financial requirements. Go to www.uscis.gov and read the I-864 form and instructions to see the various options. Also look at the I-864P for theft income guidelines.

If going down the K-1 route, look at the I-134, which is more lenient. ..but eventually for AOS you'll still need an I-864 anyway.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 28th 2016 at 12:14 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 12:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The joint sponsor does not have to be a family member.

Question for you is, how do you expect to live on only 12K a year income? That's about half the minimum poverty level.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2016, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for quick reply. I hoping I will be working once I have a green card. Plus have 70K looking to invest in property or to get me by once I find a job. good thing we don't owe any money on property etc.

at the moment we looking for me to get there with the finances we have. I mean I could sponsor for her to come her but trying to buy a house in England as become next impossible.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 12:32 pm

If you guys get married, then the assets become joint. That means she could include her income, her savings, and your savings all on the I-864,which seems to then be enough.

Or, for the K-1, you could try self sponsoring using your savings, and then use it again as above for the AOS.

Seems to me you will be OK whichever visa path you choose.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what i can do as far as finances are concern

Originally Posted by vinnyboy1979
I hoping I will be working once I have a green card.
Your ability to get a job will depend on 3 things: where you live, your level of education, and your skills. You'll need 2 out of 3 in your favor.

Plus have 70K looking to invest in property or to get me by once I find a job.
With respect, this is not a lot of money for the US depending on where you'll be living.

Also - a word of advice, don't invest in property.

Ian
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what i can do as far as finances are concerned

Have you & your fiancée actually met in person?
Old Apr 29th 2016, 8:20 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you guys get married, then the assets become joint. That means she could include her income, her savings, and your savings all on the I-864,which seems to then be enough.
Is that possible for a K1?

we were thinking about a joint-sponser too but if we could combine both our savings it would be greater than 3 times the 125% limit
Old Apr 29th 2016, 9:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84

we were thinking about a joint-sponser too but if we could combine both our savings it would be greater than 3 times the 125% limit
No, not possible for the K-1. The K-1 uses the I-134 for which you will require a joint sponsor if the US fiancée cannot come up to snuff on the financials.

For the adjustment of status and/or CR-1/LPR you use the I-864 which does allow both incomes of the spouses and/or savings.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 9:13 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, should have been more specific, i meant the AOS after the (K1) marriage which you answered Rete
Old Apr 29th 2016, 9:14 pm

No. Because you're not married, the assets are not considered joint.

Rene
Old Apr 29th 2016, 9:15 pm

sorry, should have been more specific, i meant the AOS after the (K1) marriage which you answered Rete
Yes, it will be possible after you are married.

Rene
Old May 12th 2016, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Have you & your fiancée actually met in person?
hi,

we have seen each other 3 separate trips.