Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What do do after getting married on K1 Visa?

What do do after getting married on K1 Visa?

Old Oct 11th 2015, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

benjigolfpro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do do after getting married on K1 Visa?

Hi everyone,

Last week I married my now wife who is a USC within the 90 days period of entering on a K-1 visa. I'm now looking to update file all the paperwork to complete my 'adjustment of status' but finding it confusing as to what i actually need to send at this time.
I know that in two years time I will need to provide proof of our relationship with joint account papers, documents, etc but how much needs to be submitted now to switch from my K-1 visa to my temp green card?

Hopefully my explanation makes sense and you will be able to help me complete this next step asap

Many thanks

Ben
Old Oct 11th 2015, 5:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do do after getting married on K1 Visa?

For AOS, you need to submit:

I-485
I-765
I-131
I-864
Vaccination Supplement

Plus whatever backup information the forms ask for.

During the next 2 years, just keep collecting paper evidence of your joint life together.

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2015, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

benjigolfpro is an unknown quantity at this point

I work for a UK company, do I need to complete an file an I-765 form, Application for Employment Authorization?

Can i use the previous I-864 forms that were completed when applying for my K-1 visa in the UK?
Old Oct 11th 2015, 5:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benjigolfpro
I work for a UK company, do I need to complete an file an I-765 form, Application for Employment Authorization?
Well, it's free to file the I-765, and it gives you the option to work for a US employer if you want to in the future. I'd go ahead and include it.

Can i use the previous I-864 forms that were completed when applying for my K-1 visa in the UK?
The previous form was an I-134. The USC spouse will need to complete an I-864 for the AOS.

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2015, 8:20 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

It should be noted that nothing in the law or regulations requires submission of an I-864. However, in liaison meetings, CIS has stated that they disagree with the clear reading of the law and require an I-864.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 12:29 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benjigolfpro
I know that in two years time I will need to provide proof of our relationship...
It won't be 2 years from now. It'll be 2 years from when you successfully adjust status, become a PR, and get your green card.

... to switch from my K-1 visa to my temp green card?
You won't be getting a "temp green card". It'll be valid for 2 years, but it's not temporary... it's conditional - and that is a completely different concept. You will still have all the full rights, responsibilities, and privileges that come with being a US permanent resident.

Yes. Why? Because you are authorized to work in the US only for the 90 days validity of your K-1 status. After 90 days, you'll be working illegally... and while illegal work is routinely forgiven for the spouse of a US citizen, you don't really want to do something that incredibly stupid. Apply for the EAD.

Ian