mortgage & USCIS...

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light
Default mortgage & USCIS...

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the general USA forum - but since my question is partially related to marriage I'm posting it here!

Hubby (USC) and I are hoping to buy a house this year. He has excellent credit, whereas I have no credit history in the US whatsoever. My question is, if we were to get a joint mortgage then is it likely that my lack of credit history will work against us? If hubby were to take a mortgage on his own, would he likely be given a better offer?

Then I got thinking about USCIS - from their point of view would it be "suspicious" if we bought a house but only hubby's name was on the mortgage? I have to apply for removal of conditions from November 2012, as my green card was issued this February. We obviously don't want to jeopardize anything!

I'd be grateful for your thoughts!

RG.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

IR1 alumni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: mortgage & USCIS...

We worked around this by having the mortgage in one person's name while listing both names on the title.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

random, for removal of conditions, you don't have to own joint property or have a joint mortgage. That is just one piece of evidence among many. Do what is best for you financially regarding the home/mortgage, and use other evidence for your I-751 if you end up not having a joint home/mortgage.

Rene
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by IR1 alumni
We worked around this by having the mortgage in one person's name while listing both names on the title.
Thanks for that! I wasn't aware that was an option.

random, for removal of conditions, you don't have to own joint property or have a joint mortgage. That is just one piece of evidence among many. Do what is best for you financially regarding the home/mortgage, and use other evidence for your I-751 if you end up not having a joint home/mortgage.

Rene

Thanks Rene - even without a joint mortgage we still have loads of other stuff, so that's reassuring to know!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:37 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IR1 alumni

We did this also, it is also important to get your name on the title with right of survivorship as you never know what can happen in the future..
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by candy wy.
We did this also, it is also important to get your name on the title with right of survivorship as you never know what can happen in the future..
Thanks for your reply, that was another of our concerns! You just never know
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:06 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I purchased our home in my own name for exactly the reason you cite - I was able to get a better interest rate by applying for the mortgage on my own rather than had we applied together. The mortgage and the deed are both mine alone. It was not an issue for either my wife's adjustment of status (K3 was useful at that time) or for her removal of conditions.

There's nothing in immigration law that forces you to organize your finances to your disadvantage.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by randomgirl
Hubby (USC) and I are hoping to buy a house this year. He has excellent credit, whereas I have no credit history in the US whatsoever. My question is, if we were to get a joint mortgage then is it likely that my lack of credit history will work against us? If hubby were to take a mortgage on his own, would he likely be given a better offer?

Then I got thinking about USCIS - from their point of view would it be "suspicious" if we bought a house but only hubby's name was on the mortgage? I have to apply for removal of conditions from November 2012, as my green card was issued this February. We obviously don't want to jeopardize anything!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I purchased our home in my own name for exactly the reason you cite - I was able to get a better interest rate by applying for the mortgage on my own rather than had we applied together. The mortgage and the deed are both mine alone. It was not an issue for either my wife's adjustment of status (K3 was useful at that time) or for her removal of conditions.

There's nothing in immigration law that forces you to organize your finances to your disadvantage.

Regards, JEff
Thanks JEff!

It's good to know what other people have done in this situation

Now we just need to find a house!