Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting spouse in USA from UK

Visiting spouse in USA from UK

Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting spouse in USA from UK

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I am living proof that you can visit during the process. ....
Me too - applied March 2001, visited August 2001, visa issued September 2001 (it was a DCF), specifically September 10th 2001! I had three open job offers in NYC at the time.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto, visited twice during IR-1 process, and wife came to UK once.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:42 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The K-3 is obsolete. Ignore ALL information or advice you see that cites a K-3 visa.
Might I suggest a change to the 'tagline' for this part of the forum then?

Marriage Based Visas (26 Viewing)
If you have an American spouse, or will soon be marrying an American citizen: K1, K3 etc.
Seems it would be better to replace mention of the K3?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 2:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Might I suggest a change to the 'tagline' for this part of the forum then?

Seems it would be better to replace mention of the K3?
That's a valid suggestion, I will bring it up with site admin.

Thank you,
Rene
Old Jan 19th 2017, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

shrinkydinkydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing about the I-130 paperwork, and process thereafter:

We want to get the process started as soon as possible (who doesn't, right?), but there is a chance I will be moving to another state in May. If we file the I-130 in March, while I'm still in KY, will me moving to TN in May compromise the application process?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 6:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shrinkydinkydoo
..... If we file the I-130 in March, while I'm still in KY, will me moving to TN in May compromise the application process?
No. You just need to let USCIS know your new address - and have mail forwarded in case anything important goes to your old address.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

shrinkydinkydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you Pulaski...that takes another load off me....
Old Jan 19th 2017, 6:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I would wait to file everything using your new address in May. Two months later is not too bad, and can avoid missing important mail and appointments from USCIS. They are not always on the ball with address changes.

Just my own preference to avoid any potential issues with the address change.

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shrinkydinkydoo
... there is a chance I will be moving to another state in May.
I strongly suggest you delay filing until after you move. You do not want to leave it to USCIS to guess where you live. And yes - even if you inform them, there's no guarantee mail will go to the correct address... and we have seen this happen time and time again. Quite simply, it is not worth the worry and aggravation.

Ian
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:58 am
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

Having recently had our I-130 application approved, mu wife (USC) received the letter by email on the day of approval, and then the actual letter a couple of weeks later.

Although we didn't change address, I don't see it being a problem if you provide an email address.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
... received the letter by email on the day of approval, and then the actual letter a couple of weeks later.
And if you hadn't received the actual letter you likely wouldn't have known about its existence or even cared. I'm not saying you're wrong about this, but it's never a good idea to be too cavalier about someone else's life!

Ian
Old Jan 20th 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I strongly suggest you delay filing until after you move. You do not want to leave it to USCIS to guess where you live. And yes - even if you inform them, there's no guarantee mail will go to the correct address... and we have seen this happen time and time again. Quite simply, it is not worth the worry and aggravation. ....
She could register a mail box service ahead of filing and use that address on all the paperwork. The UPS store offers this service, also with mail-forwarding, so she could register a mail box address then there wouldn't be a change of address.

Does this approach increase the risk slightly of mail going astray? Sure but even with a plain-vanilla mailing address and USPS deliveries there us always the risk of mail being misdirected, stolen in transit, burned in truck crash, stashed in the mailman's garage, dumped in the woods, eaten by rodents etc. etc. etc. If you're going to worry about everything that could go wrong in life, you'd probably never want to get out of bed.