Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting spouse in USA from UK

Visiting spouse in USA from UK

Old Jan 17th 2017, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

shrinkydinkydoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting spouse in USA from UK

I know that once we file the spousal visa paperwork my man cannot come back to the States to visit until the green card is approved. That says then that once the paperwork is filed, that's the case. But, if we're married and don't file the paperwork straight away, can he still come and visit?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting spouse in USA from UK

Originally Posted by shrinkydinkydoo
I know that once we file the spousal visa paperwork my man cannot come back to the States to visit until the green card is approved.
You know wrong! See the above sticky thread, it's fine for him to visit whilst processing is going on.

HTH.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell us where you're getting this information? It's incorrect. He certainly CAN visit the USA while the visa process is going on. There are no restrictions.

Rene
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

I honestly cannot remember where or who told me that, but, I was told that during the processing of a CR-1 visa, he cannot visit me here in the US until that green card is approved.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that during the processing of a CR-1 visa, he cannot visit me here in the US until that green card is approved.
Whoever told you that is an idiot. People visit all the time during the visa process... it has never been an issue.

And, to clarify, he's waiting for approval of an immigrant visa... not a green card. He won't get a green card until the day he enters the US with his visa.

Ian
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

I'm so confused. I was trying to research this. So, we get married, file the I-130, then during that process he can visit right? I've seen something that speaks of a K3 visa that, once the I-130 is approved, he can come and stay here while waiting for the approval? Am I understanding this right?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So, we get married, file the I-130, then during that process he can visit right?
Right.

I've seen something that speaks of a K3 visa that, once the I-130 is approved, he can come and stay here while waiting for the approval? Am I understanding this right?
If you were doing this about 20 years ago when CR-1 visas took up to 3 years to process, you'd be understanding correctly. However for the past 15-20 years the K-3 has become obsolete because CR-1 visas now take well under a year to process. You can safely ignore anything to do with the K-3 visa.

Ian
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so confused. I was trying to research this. So, we get married, file the I-130, then during that process he can visit right? ....
Yes, as advised above.
..... I've seen something that speaks of a K3 visa that, once the I-130 is approved, he can come and stay here while waiting for the approval? Am I understanding this right?
The K-3 is obsolete. Ignore ALL information or advice you see that cites a K-3 visa.

Under the current process the CR-1 has to be finalized outside the US, but the applicant can visit in the interim. There is no K-3 for "coming and waiting".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 17th 2017 at 7:26 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, thank you for the information on the K3. This process and paperwork looks straight forward, but then you get into it and all of a sudden there's a bunch of nuances that leave me feeling overwhelmed, confused, and defeated. Add in the thought that he can't visit here once we're filed....not to mention that the process takes 8-12 months...sometimes I think "get an attorney" and then othe times I think it would just cost us more money and who knows if the attorney we get is competent.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thank you for the information on the K3. This process and paperwork looks straight forward, but then you get into it and all of a sudden there's a bunch of nuances that leave me feeling overwhelmed, confused, and defeated. Add in the thought that he can't visit here once we're filed....not to mention that the process takes 8-12 months...sometimes I think "get an attorney" and then othe times I think it would just cost us more money and who knows if the attorney we get is competent.
Keep asking us questions - unless there are major complications, such as your husband having a criminal record, there really is no need for your to hire an attorney.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

No criminal record
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

This process and paperwork looks straight forward...
It is!

... but then you get into it and all of a sudden there's a bunch of nuances that leave me feeling overwhelmed, confused, and defeated.
This happens because you're trying to understand everything all at once when, in fact, you only need to understand one step at a time. It's good to have an overview of the entire process... but you don't complete the entire process all at once. You do it one step at a time.

Ian
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:42 pm

No criminal record. ....
Good!

I see you were researching a K-1 fiancé visa last November. Should we be sending congratulations for getting married when your fiancé visited in December?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

LOL No. No congrats just yet. We're looking at March. Hopefully in March we'll be wed and can start the process then.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:27 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I am living proof that you can visit during the process.

Sent the I-130 bundle off in February, visited in April and June, visa obtained in December. I would have visited at least once more during that time but something came up which caused me to cancel a trip (nothing to do with the visa process).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.