Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

visiting during process

visiting during process

Old Jan 30th 2001, 8:08 pm
AM

I am just curious.. at what point of the process is the applicant/petitioner told they
cannot visit their fiancee during the process?

AM

Old Jan 30th 2001, 8:55 pm
cparke

I am just curious.. at what point of the process is the
> applicant/petitioner told they cannot visit their fiancee during the process?

He/she always can visit, and not told otherwise. After the I-129F petition is filed,
the beneficiary (alien fiancee) should not attempt to travel to the USA as a
nonimmigrant visitor.

CP/LP

Old Jan 30th 2001, 9:09 pm
Rita

> He/she always can visit, and not told otherwise. After the I-129F petition is filed, the
> beneficiary (alien fiancee) should not attempt to travel to the USA as a nonimmigrant
> visitor.
>
> CP/LP

Actually that is not true. One can visit the US while the I-129F is being process, even if
it has been approved but the K-1 interview has not taken place. The onus is on the visitor
to bring enough proof with them that if they are questioned at the POE they can show that
they fully intend to return to their own country to continue the process. This can be
school schedules and registration for those courses, a letter from an employer stating
they are on holiday and are to return to work on such and such a date, a lease for an
apartment, etc.

You are not told you can't visit but if the I-129F has been approved and sent to the US
Consulate already, then it is unwise to travel to the US if only because the FBI name
check may have to be redone since you have visited the States after the Consulate had
clearance on you.

Rita

--
The K1 FAQ is now at http://www.k1faq.com www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Jan 30th 2001, 9:22 pm
Grinch

He/she always can visit, and not told otherwise. After the I-129F
> petition is filed, the beneficiary (alien fiancee) should not attempt to travel to the
> USA as a nonimmigrant visitor.
>
> CP/LP

Is this Voight talking Bollocks in disguise??

Grinch

Old Jan 30th 2001, 11:08 pm
AM

isn't that a contradiction?? I'm confused!!

AM

>
> > I am just curious.. at what point of the process is the applicant/petitioner told they
> > cannot visit their fiancee during the process?
>
> He/she always can visit, and not told otherwise. After the I-129F petition is filed, the
> beneficiary (alien fiancee) should not attempt to travel to the USA as a nonimmigrant
> visitor.
>
> CP/LP

Old Jan 30th 2001, 11:56 pm
Grinch

CParke is talking Bollocks. It is possible to visit but as always you are taking a risk
when you pass through immigration. This group has seen many people enter with success and
a few refused. Bringing proof of your return to home country is advised. Grinch

| isn't that a contradiction?? I'm confused!!
|
| AM
|

| >
| > > I am just curious.. at what point of the process is the applicant/petitioner told
| > > they cannot visit their fiancee during the process?
| >
| > He/she always can visit, and not told otherwise. After the I-129F petition is filed,
| > the beneficiary (alien fiancee) should not attempt to travel to the USA as a
| > nonimmigrant visitor.
| >
| > CP/LP
| >
| >

|
|

Old Jan 31st 2001, 3:16 am
Shell71777

My fiance entered the US three times during the K-1 process (after it was approved).
Although never asked at the POE, he had a letter from his employer stating that he is
expected to return and a bank account statement (to show he still has an acct there). It
is always a risk, but if he/she has enough evidence that they plan to return, they should
be fine. Michelle