VISA expiry query

Old May 18th 2017, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VISA expiry query

Congratulations!!!
Old May 18th 2017, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Stevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
Congratulations!!!
Thank you very much elizabethsmum, 😊😊😊.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, I know I touched on this earlier in this post, but I'm in a bit of a quandary.
The thing is just how long could I return to the UK for, after getting my visa approved by US customs?
Is there a set limit?
I'm worried that it might be a case of me needing at least 3-4 months, is there anywhere I can find out for certain ?
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 2:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

After activating your visa at the POE, you can return to the UK (leave the US) for a few months to tie up ends there, etc.

If you don't have the actual physical green card, you will have the I-551 stamp in your passport and that is all you need to return to the US as a PR.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stevie P
Is there a set limit?
No, but after 6 months absence from the US, you might need to explain yourself to the CBP officer. You definitely don't want to be outside the US for 12 or more months.

I'm worried that it might be a case of me needing at least 3-4 months...
That will not be a problem - indeed, it's quite a common scenario.

... is there anywhere I can find out for certain ?
Yes. The law says that your green card (or I-551 endorsement) is valid as a travel document for up to 12 months. After 12 months, you need to demonstrate that you didn't intend to abandon your status. Between 6-12 months, you might need to explain why you were outside the US, but even then it's unlikely that you'd be ever denied entry to the US.

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2017, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Please accept my apologies for taking so long to thank you both for you're help on this.
That's very encouraging to see I can come back for at least for 3-4 months, no questions asked.
Hopefully that will be long enough to tie all the my looses ends up and I can be on my way for good.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You also might want to ask (or research) over in the main USA forum to see how the sale of the home might affect you tax-wise, if the sale happens after you become a US PR.

Rene
Could you put a link to the main USA forum for me please Rene, thanks.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 4:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a link as you are already in the US forums. There are four sub forums - US immigration and visa; US marriage-based visa; Trailer Park; Meet-up; and then the major one ... the general forum. Just scroll down and you can't miss it. In fact, you should have been or at least be reading much of what is there as it is guidelines for life and living in the US. How to get a driver's license, rent an apartment/house, etc.

Okay, I'll be nice ... http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ Happy reading and posting.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
You don't need a link as you are already in the US forums. There are four sub forums - US immigration and visa; US marriage-based visa; Trailer Park; Meet-up; and then the major one ... the general forum. Just scroll down and you can't miss it. In fact, you should have been or at least be reading much of what is there as it is guidelines for life and living in the US. How to get a driver's license, rent an apartment/house, etc.

Okay, I'll be nice ... USA - British Expats Happy reading and posting.
I'm sorry Rene, you're right I have been so caught up in getting the visa etc in the first place, that I totally forgot about checking around the whole forum.
I guess I'm just relying on my wife to help with the getting a drivers licence etc parts but it's always great to have plenty extra help.
But thank you for being nice enough to post the link anyhow, it's very much appreciated 😊
Old Jun 25th 2017, 5:46 pm
Concierge

It's Rete ... Rene is the other one

And you're welcome.

Unless your wife is already in the US (admit to being lazy and not looking at your past posts) something that should be as easy as getting your social security number or your driver's license or getting a credit history for obtaining credit cards, etc. is not. Many states require not only your green card but your lease or proof of home address by bringing them copies of utility bills, etc. Then being a Brit you will have to take the written test and in some states the driver's test. Very few auto insurance companies will use your driving records from the UK. It is a minefield out there but that forum will do much to help you navigate the ins and outs.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

It's Rete ... Rene is the other one

And you're welcome.

Unless your wife is already in the US (admit to being lazy and not looking at your past posts) something that should be as easy as getting your social security number or your driver's license or getting a credit history for obtaining credit cards, etc. is not. Many states require not only your green card but your lease or proof of home address by bringing them copies of utility bills, etc. Then being a Brit you will have to take the written test and in some states the driver's test. Very few auto insurance companies will use your driving records from the UK. It is a minefield out there but that forum will do much to help you navigate the ins and outs.
OH dear I'm so sorry for getting you're name mixed up Rete, please accept my apologies.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply and so quickly too.
I have started already to look around the main forum for help and advice.
It really is a different way of life in the US with different states having different rules etc, nothing like the UK. I'm not saying it's any worse or better just very different.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:04 pm
Concierge

No apologies necessary. I could not be confused with a more wonderful and lovely lady then Rene. Have known her neigh on forever.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 7:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No apologies necessary. I could not be confused with a more wonderful and lovely lady then Rene. Have known her neigh on forever.
Awwww

Same goes for you, Rete!

Rene