Reload this Page >

UK citizen marrying American fiance

UK citizen marrying American fiance

Old Oct 7th 2015, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

MsEsco85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizen marrying American fiance

Hi,

My American fiance and I are planning to get married on my next trip on my ESTA, and then I will return back to the UK after my trip to apply for the spousal visa.

I have read the other threads that this can be done in the state where he lives and where we plan to live together and eventually start our family once the necessary paperwork for visas have been completed correctly, but I haven't been able to see what is needed for our actual wedding itself?

Do I just need to bring my passport and birth certificate when we register for the marriage license? I believe in his state we have to wait 3 days before we can get married after applying for the marriage license, so I need to know which documents I need to take to the courthouse.

All answers appreciated! Many thanks x
Old Oct 7th 2015, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen marrying American fiance

Originally Posted by MsEsco85
I haven't been able to see what is needed for our actual wedding itself?
There are 50 different states, so 50 different requirements. That info may be on the state's web site, or your USC fiancée may need to contact the Clerk's office and find out.

Do I just need to bring my passport and birth certificate when we register for the marriage license?
Most likely, yes.

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2015, 12:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Google "marriage in (state)". Each state is different, so without knowing the state, it's hard to advise. Usually only your passport is required.

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2015, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

MsEsco85 is an unknown quantity at this point

The state is PA, and online it doesn't confirm which legal documents/ID required, especially if I'm not American. I'll have him call and check thanks!
Old Oct 7th 2015, 2:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In that case, most likely just your passport.

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2015, 2:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
In that case, most likely just your passport.

Rene
Technically I think you are correct, but given the US obsession with a drivers licence as an ID document, I would strongly recommend that you take that too, even though it's a British one. The last thing you want is some jobs-worth insisting that the procedures for issuing a marriage license require the couple to show drovers licenses before a license can be issued.

When we went to get our marriage license (the then-future Mrs P was a US resident USC), we each took our birth certificate, passport, and drivers license. ..... The clerk in the courthouse office didn't check anything! ...... This was pre-9/11, which may explain the difference.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 7th 2015 at 2:43 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 2:42 pm

If one has a passport, that is an official government photo ID. No need for a non-US drivers license. That can't be a requirement, because not everyone has one.

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2015, 2:44 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You may also need proof that you do not have (and are not eligible for) an SSN. I needed that in SC before I was able to get my marriage license.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 2:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If one has a passport, that is an official government photo ID. No need for a non-US drivers license. That can't be a requirement, because not everyone has one. .....
Which is no reason not to take one if you do.

The OP will obviously have her passover with her, and likely her DL. Taking her birth certificate too pretty much covers all the bases for identifying documents.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 3:21 pm

Sure, she can take all the documents she has, just to be on the safe side. I thought we were talking about what's required.

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2015, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The OP will obviously have her passover with her, and likely her DL.
Not likely, unless she's Jewish... and maybe not even then!

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2015, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Not likely, unless she's Jewish... and maybe not even then!

Ian
Argh! WTF did that come from?
Old Oct 7th 2015, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Argh! WTF did that come from?
Quite possibly the same place this did (unless PA is big into cattle in a way I'm not familiar with )...

The last thing you want is some jobs-worth insisting that the procedures for issuing a marriage license require the couple to show drovers licenses before a license can be issued.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Quite possibly the same place this did (unless PA is big into cattle in a way I'm not familiar with )...
I give up! .... For today, at least.