Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

technolog's K1 visa journey

technolog's K1 visa journey

Old Jan 4th 2014, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: technolog's K1 visa journey

Right. You can stop pressing F5 now.

I'm looking at applying for my police certificate and a question has occurred to me.

It gives me the option of asking for additional copies of the certificate at a cost of £6 each as opposed to having to apply again further down the line and having to pay the £45 fee again.

Are any further copies of the police certificate required further into the K1/AOS process? If so is the validity period of a certificate supplied now going to be expired by the time it is required?

In your opinion, for the sake of £6, is it worth getting a copy just in case?
Old Jan 4th 2014, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technolog
Are any further copies of the police certificate required further into the K1/AOS process?
Not that I can recall, but you never know when something might go missing - and that has happened.

If so is the validity period of a certificate supplied now going to be expired by the time it is required?
Not likely, no. For US immigration purposes, the police certificate is valid for 1 year from date of issue.

In your opinion, for the sake of £6, is it worth getting a copy just in case?
Yes.

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2014, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've now moved on to take a look at the I-134 Affidavit of Support form.

The K1 wiki says the following on the subject of who fills it in:

Financial support for a K1 visa application will usually come from the sponsoring USC who filed the petition for the K1 visa, but if the USC fiancé(e) doesn't have the resources, the I-134 can be completed by anyone who meets the eligibility requirements.
To my mind, it's not clear whether my fiancée, the sponsor (who doesn't meet the financial requirements), needs to fill in a copy or whether it's just my joint sponsor (step F-I-L).

The joint sponsor's current household is 2 in size but will be 4 when my fiancée and I move in with them. What level of income does he need to achieve from the 2013 HHS Poverty Guidelines? That for a 2 or 4 household size?

The I-134 has fields for lots of different financial information. Is my joint sponsor only required to provide sufficient information to cover the relevant 125% level of the 2013 HHS Poverty Guidelines or does he need to fill it in as completely as possible?

I thought I'd read some detailed information on the I-134 and required income/assets previously but can't now find it. Can someone point me to a thread or wiki where it resides please?
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

To my mind, it's not clear whether my fiancée, the sponsor (who doesn't meet the financial requirements), needs to fill in a copy or whether it's just my joint sponsor (step F-I-L).
There is no "joint sponsor" when it comes to the I-134. There is only a sponsor. If your fiancée doesn't meet the financial requirements, someone else (like her father) can be your sponsor.

The joint sponsor's current household is 2 in size but will be 4 when my fiancée and I move in with them. What level of income does he need to achieve from the 2013 HHS Poverty Guidelines? That for a 2 or 4 household size?
The I-134 does not use the I-864P as a financial guideline. It's all up to the ConOff to decide if whatever amount he earns is enough or not. If you want to use the I-864P as a general guideline, you can...but it's not set in stone for the I-134.

The I-134 has fields for lots of different financial information. Is my joint sponsor only required to provide sufficient information to cover the relevant 125% level of the 2013 HHS Poverty Guidelines or does he need to fill it in as completely as possible?
He should fill in the I-134 as much as he feels would be required to show you will not become a public charge in the USA. There's no dollar amount set for the I-134.

I thought I'd read some detailed information on the I-134 and required income/assets previously but can't now find it. Can someone point me to a thread or wiki where it resides please?
No, there isn't a required income/asset publication for the I-134. You might be thinking of the I-864 (associated with the AOS, later on), and that guideline would be the I-864P. But that is not used for the I-134.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

For the I-134, there is no such thing as a "joint sponsor"... there is only a "sponsor". It will either be your USC fiancée or it will be someone else in the US who meets the requirements. Only the sponsor (whomever that is) completes the I-134.

The joint sponsor's current household is 2 in size but will be 4 when my fiancée and I move in with them.
Do you remember my 3 rules for filling out forms? I posted it recently, so a quick search should get to them... and that'll answer your question.

What level of income does he need to achieve from the 2013 HHS Poverty Guidelines? That for a 2 or 4 household size?
There is no specific income level for the I-134... although most people use the I-864P as a guide.

The I-134 has fields for lots of different financial information.
... and the sponsor (not joint sponsor) should complete the form thoroughly.

I thought I'd read some detailed information on the I-134 and required income/assets previously but can't now find it.
Have you downloaded the I-134 instruction sheets? Perhaps it's in there!

Ian
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Ian & Rene.

When we embarked on our immigration journey we were originally going to go the CR-1 route but, after a delay in my fiancée's divorce, the likely timings of the K-1 route suited our situation better. I think I've been confused by info I read while thinking we were going CR-1.

I did read the I-134 instructions but what I read previously was blurring my interpretation. I shall re-read them tomorrow with the veil of confusion lifted.

I think I'll see how my I-134 SPONSOR feels about revealing all the requested information and providing evidence to support it. If he's happy to, then great. If he's reluctant then just his income will probably be sufficient to convince the ConOff of his ability to support me. I don't know what he earns but he works for Merrill Lynch and from his spending habits I've witnessed I'd guess it's well north of $100K p.a.

If you think it's a real no-no not to provide full financial info then I'll press him.

Yes, I know your three rules Ian. I just need to make sure I apply them

1) Take each question at face value;
2) Do not ascribe meaning to the question beyond what is plainly written; and
3) Do not try to alter the question to fit your situation
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'll see how my I-134 SPONSOR feels about revealing all the requested information and providing evidence to support it. If he's happy to, then great. If he's reluctant then just his income will probably be sufficient to convince the ConOff of his ability to support me. I don't know what he earns but he works for Merrill Lynch and from his spending habits I've witnessed I'd guess it's well north of $100K p.a.

If you think it's a real no-no not to provide full financial info then I'll press him.
If you think his income is sufficient, then he doesn't need to list anything else such as savings or property.

He WILL need to provide at least his most recent tax return. Preferably the most recent 3 years; sometimes the ConOff requests that...better to go in fully prepared.

It could be helpful to have him provide a few recent pay stubs and/or a letter from his employer stating his position and salary.

He will also need to provide proof of his US citizenship (copy of birth certificate or US passport).

You know the I-134 is not due until your interview date, right? So you have some time to work on this. I suggest getting the I-134 and backup info dated as close to the interview as possible.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you think his income is sufficient, then he doesn't need to list anything else such as savings or property.
More pertinently perhaps (in the absence of the ConOff's opinion), do YOU (or anyone else who'd care to comment ) think a $100K+ p.a. salary would be sufficient for a 2-person household?

You know the I-134 is not due until your interview date, right? So you have some time to work on this. I suggest getting the I-134 and backup info dated as close to the interview as possible.
Yes, I take it with me to the interview. We're hopeful of that being only 2-3 months from now. Even if we got the I-134 & supporting documentation completed immediately, which is unlikely, I'd have thought it would be near enough to our supposed interview date for it not to be a problem, yes?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:59 am

More pertinently perhaps (in the absence of the ConOff's opinion), do YOU (or anyone else who'd care to comment ) think a $100K+ p.a. salary would be sufficient for a 2-person household?
Way more than enough, yes.

Yes, I take it with me to the interview. We're hopeful of that being only 2-3 months from now. Even if we got the I-134 & supporting documentation completed immediately, which is unlikely, I'd have thought it would be near enough to our supposed interview date for it not to be a problem, yes?
Probably.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2014, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

I've re-read the K1 wiki, I-134 and its instructions. After last night's clarifications (thank you) and a good night's sleep it seems much clearer. However, I have a few queries prompted by Rene's prior response:

He WILL need to provide at least his most recent tax return. Preferably the most recent 3 years; sometimes the ConOff requests that...better to go in fully prepared.
I can't see that requirement anywhere on form I-134 or the instructions for it. Can you point me to where this requirement is specified please?

It could be helpful to have him provide a few recent pay stubs and/or a letter from his employer stating his position and salary.
The I-134 instructions say:

Statement(s) from your employer on business stationery showing:

1. Date and nature of employment;

2. Salary paid; and

3. Whether the position is temporary or permanent.
Is the provision for pay stubs just your opinion (which I value), from anecdotal evidence of K1 interviews or is it actually stated anywhere? If the latter, could you point me to it please?

He will also need to provide proof of his US citizenship (copy of birth certificate or US passport).
Again, I can't find any requirement for this anywhere, though I must admit it does seem sensible. Can you point me to it please?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 4:21 pm

I've re-read the K1 wiki, I-134 and its instructions. After last night's clarifications (thank you) and a good night's sleep it seems much clearer. However, I have a few queries prompted by Rene's prior response:

I can't see that requirement anywhere on form I-134 or the instructions for it. Can you point me to where this requirement is specified please?

The I-134 instructions say:

Is the provision for pay stubs just your opinion (which I value), from anecdotal evidence of K1 interviews or is it actually stated anywhere? If the latter, could you point me to it please?

Again, I can't find any requirement for this anywhere, though I must admit it does seem sensible. Can you point me to it please?
I don't find those requirements on the I-134 instructions, either. Nor do I find them on the US Embassy London website (just a quick glance there). However, anecdotal evidence shows that tax return(s) are required, as is proof of status in the USA (USC or US PR). As for the pay stubs, the idea is to be as convincing as possible, making it easy for the ConOff to approve the case.

ene
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Taking your comments on board, this is what I've asked my sponsor (for the purposes of the I-134 anyway) to do:

1) Complete the form (in the financial section just salary & savings
info required) and email it to me to check

2) Acquire, scan and email the following supporting evidence:

a) Your US passport photo/biographical page(s)

b) Your last 3 years' tax returns

c) Your 3 most recent pay stubs

d) Statement from your employer on business stationery showing:
i) Date and nature of employment;
ii) Salary paid; and
iii) Whether the position is temporary or permanent.

e) Statement (I'm assuming this to mean in the form of a letter
rather than a bank statement) from an officer of the bank(s) holding
your savings showing:
i) Date account opened;
ii) Total amount deposited for the last year; and
iii) Present balance.

3) When we're happy we have it correctly filled out, sign & date the
form and post it to us
Any thoughts? I took the view that salary & savings would be sufficient evidence of his ability to support me. I did mention that if he wanted to () he could provide the extra information & evidence too but that, at this stage, I didn't think it necessary.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

Any thoughts?
Since you ask, in case the sponsor doesn't want to reveal his financial situation to you, it's perfectly acceptable for the sponsor to put his info in a sealed envelope to be opened by the officer at your interview. Of course, if there's a problem with any of that info, you won't know about it until you're at the interview.

Ian
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:33 pm

Again, if his income is enough (which 100K should be more than enough), he does not need to provide the savings information or bank statements (statement from bank).

I don't see why he would need to scan and email you his 3 years of tax returns ahead of time. That's a lot of scanning, unless he's using the shortened IRS transcripts.

Rene

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.