Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

technolog's K1 visa journey

technolog's K1 visa journey

Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute
Default technolog's K1 visa journey

My USC fiancée got divorced yesterday so now she's filling in form I-129F in pursuance of my (UKC) K1 fiancé(e) visa. We're hoping she'll be ready to file immediately when the divorce paperwork arrives from her solicitor in a couple of weeks.

I'm sure there'll be lots of questions over the forthcoming months but I'd like to start with a simple one. On the I-129F the telephone number fields are the US-centric (XXX) XXX-XXXX format and we need to enter UK numbers (we live together here in the UK). Do we 'make them fit' or would a continuation sheet be better?

Also, supposing she files the petition in the next fortnight and assuming there's no delays along the way, what sort of date range would you expect me to be in receipt of the visa? We're aiming to get married sometime during next year's summer holidays, say June to August sort of time. Is this feasible?
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:24 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: technolog's K1 visa journey

8-10 months. So that's perfectly feasible.

How long have your fiancées ex-husband and her been separated? Divorcing to marry someone else and then immediatly filing immigration papers may cause a few extra questions along the way (interview).
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technolog
... we need to enter UK numbers (we live together here in the UK). Do we 'make them fit' or would a continuation sheet be better?
I'm guessing you're using the fillable form... if so, leave that bit blank and when you're done, print the form and fill in the phone number with a pen.

We're aiming to get married sometime during next year's summer holidays, say June to August sort of time. Is this feasible?
Late-August, yes... but, don't set a date, don't make any plans that can't be changed, and don't pay for anything that can't be refunded until the day you get the visa. Believe me... it'll be a lot less stressful for you both if you don't make any firm plans.

Ian
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Divorcing to marry someone else and then immediatly filing immigration papers may cause a few extra questions along the way (interview).
It might... but it's certainly allowed and, in and of itself, it's not a reason to deny either the I-129F or the K-1 visa. I don't see an issue here.

Ian
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

On the I-129F the telephone number fields are the US-centric (XXX) XXX-XXXX format and we need to enter UK numbers (we live together here in the UK). Do we 'make them fit' or would a continuation sheet be better?
Leave that part blank, and after the form is printed out, handwrite the phone numbers in.

Also, supposing she files the petition in the next fortnight and assuming there's no delays along the way, what sort of date range would you expect me to be in receipt of the visa?
Approximately 8 - 10 months.

We're aiming to get married sometime during next year's summer holidays, say June to August sort of time. Is this feasible?
Hmmm. If your fiancee files the I-129F at the start of November (2 weeks from now), you could be looking at entering the USA in September-ish 2014, if your case runs on the long side of 10 months. More if you run into any snags, such as an RFE.

Follow Ian's advice and have something in mind for the wedding, but don't make any firm plans and don't spend any money that can't be refunded until you have the visa IN HAND.

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:40 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mean to suggest it would cause a denial, just that it might elicit a question at the interview - and to be prepared for that.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

How long have your fiancées ex-husband and her been separated? Divorcing to marry someone else and then immediatly filing immigration papers may cause a few extra questions along the way (interview).
This is usually only a problem if the USC is a naturalized US Citizen after having immigrated to the USA herself, then divorced the USC in order to marry the "real" boyfriend back home.

But of course, the OP should be prepared for any question relating to the prior marriage.

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

8-10 months. So that's perfectly feasible.

It was an Irish divorce (fiancée's ex is Irish) and as required by Irish law (I believe), they were separated for 4 years prior to divorce proceedings starting. We've been living together for the last 2½ years.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm guessing you're using the fillable form... if so, leave that bit blank and when you're done, print the form and fill in the phone number with a pen.
Thanks, will do. In the form +44 (0)XXXX XXXXXX?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Late-August, yes... but, don't set a date, don't make any plans that can't be changed, and don't pay for anything that can't be refunded until the day you get the visa. Believe me... it'll be a lot less stressful for you both if you don't make any firm plans.

Ian
I thought it was 8 to 10 months. Hopefully we'll make it over before September. If not then given we have 6-months (from date of medical?) to use the visa and 90 days to get married after entry, then the October half-term or Christmas holidays should be do-able with regard to the wedding. We won't be committing to anything until the visa is in hand.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies civilservant, Ian & Rene, much appreciated.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:52 pm

If not then given we have 6-months (from date of medical?) to use the visa
Correct, the visa should be good for 6 months from the date of the medical exam.

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:54 pm

I assume you've looked at the I-134 Affidavit of Support? If not, that's definitely something to look at ahead of time, to prepare for.

Also, the I-864 Affidavit of Support for the AOS package once you're in the USA and married and want to adjust your status.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I assume you've looked at the I-134 Affidavit of Support? If not, that's definitely something to look at ahead of time, to prepare for.

Also, the I-864 Affidavit of Support for the AOS package once you're in the USA and married and want to adjust your status.

Rene
That's a good point you make Rene. My mother-in-law-to-be has agreed to be my joint sponsor. She's currently undergoing a knee replacement but when she's back on her feet, we'll have a look at the two forms you mention.

Without looking to refresh my memory, am I right in thinking that the I-134 is required to be sent with the visa application or is it requested/presented at the interview?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:54 am

That's a good point you make Rene. My mother-in-law-to-be has agreed to be my joint sponsor. She's currently undergoing a knee replacement but when she's back on her feet, we'll have a look at the two forms you mention.

Without looking to refresh my memory, am I right in thinking that the I-134 is required to be sent with the visa application or is it requested/presented at the interview?
At the interview.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

Thanks, will do. In the form +44 (0)XXXX XXXXXX?
However it fits... it's not like they're going to actually call.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.