Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Still in UK, Considering applying for K1

Still in UK, Considering applying for K1

Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:04 am
Just Joined

dorklewood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Still in UK, Considering applying for K1

I have been travelling to the USA for the past year to see my girlfriend who is now pregnant, due in September. We are going to get married but I want to make sure I can be there for the birth. Does anyone know if my fiance can petition for me while I am in the USA, then once the petition goes through I can travel back for the interview etc...? The last time I was there was for a week at the end of April but I did do two VWPs back to back at the end of last year. Customs asked me questions for a good 5 minutes at that time but eventually let me through, there were no problems on my last trip in April. My huge worry is not being there for the birth.. Can anyone offer any suggestions

THank you

Dorklewood
Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still in UK, Considering applying for K1

Originally Posted by dorklewood
I have been travelling to the USA for the past year to see my girlfriend who is now pregnant, due in September. We are going to get married but I want to make sure I can be there for the birth. Does anyone know if my fiance can petition for me while I am in the USA, then once the petition goes through I can travel back for the interview etc...? The last time I was there was for a week at the end of April but I did do two VWPs back to back at the end of last year. Customs asked me questions for a good 5 minutes at that time but eventually let me through, there were no problems on my last trip in April. My huge worry is not being there for the birth.. Can anyone offer any suggestions

THank you

Dorklewood
Hi,

Yes, it's possible to file the I-129F petition while you are here in the states...but why wait until then? Gather the required info now, and have her file it ASAP. That way you can get started immediately, and get here sooner. However, I doubt you will have your K-1 visa in hand by September. You might have to risk another trip on the VWP and hope they let you through for the birth, then go back to your interview in the UK when it's time (and before your 90 day stay in USA is up).

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Still in UK, Considering applying for K1

Originally Posted by dorklewood

THank you

Dorklewood
K1 is unlikely to be processed in that time frame, you stand a chance if your application goes through Vermont. But I am assuming you have not even started the documentation collection process. Sooner the better.

See www.visajourney.com for current timelines.

So you did 6 months in the US last year, 1 week this year?. You should be OK to come back in September, bring evidence of job, UK commitments etc just in case you get another grilling.