Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

The start of our Journey! (K-1 Visa)

The start of our Journey! (K-1 Visa)

Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Charley_Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The start of our Journey! (K-1 Visa)

Hello all!

So it begins, my K-1 Visa Journey. My partner and i are just about to start the filing process this week and i can't say i'm not excited!

I've been dipping into these forums for the last couple of months, but have only just signed up, and the information i have got from people is incredible and has helped me so much.

I will be updating this thread constantly with our process & experience to share it with you all and give those possibly looking to file for a K-1 Visa an insight into what it is like.

If you have any advice please, don't hesitate to post as i would love to hear it. Also, if you have filed for a K-1 please share your experience and timeline with me.

Thanks
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The start of our Journey! (K-1 Visa)

I entered on the K-1. It's been fun. Now I'm getting itchy to start work.

Try your best to not get caught up in timelines. It's an easy trap to fall into and more often than not it will just cause stress.

Good luck and if everything is vanilla and boring, the process should be a breeze.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
I entered on the K-1. It's been fun. Now I'm getting itchy to start work.

Try your best to not get caught up in timelines. It's an easy trap to fall into and more often than not it will just cause stress.

Good luck and if everything is vanilla and boring, the process should be a breeze.
How'd it all go for you?

I'm by no means caught up on deadlines, it's just nice to know everyone's experience & sometimes helps build a little confidence. I don't have a particular duration in mind, just itching to get started!

Thank you, i sure hope it goes that way
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck! I arrived in the US on my K-1 on the 20th January, would have been sooner but there were some work related complexities that impacted timeline (nothing impacted the process though). This forum has been very very useful during the process, and I'll pay it forward as much as I can.

For starters, make copies of everything, and ask questions if you are at all unsure. I remember how daunting it was to make sure I understood the questions correctly, but also how simple it was once I had things explained to me
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charley_Cook
How'd it all go for you?

I'm by no means caught up on deadlines, it's just nice to know everyone's experience & sometimes helps build a little confidence. I don't have a particular duration in mind, just itching to get started!

Thank you, i sure hope it goes that way
Well, it was a success in that I entered on K-1 and proceeded to get married. Currently here in 74 degree weather in January.

Right now I am waiting on my adjustment of status to be completed. Be prepared for the foreign person to be without work for a few months! Luckily my wife makes good money and we both live a good life.

With immigration matters, read all of the forms thoroughly. Supply answers to the questions asked - don't try and interpret it yourself - answer it at face value.

I'm not sure if you're the USC (US Citizen)? That's the person that needs to get this process started with the initial petition.

After a while it should progress through the system, to the NVC and then to the USA London embassy. At this point the UKC will be invited to have a medical and schedule an interview.

I'll not bog you down with the details now, but be assured that if your relationship is legit and both have a clean past, the process is simply a formality and one that will probably move quicker than you think.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pugilation
Good luck! I arrived in the US on my K-1 on the 20th January, would have been sooner but there were some work related complexities that impacted timeline (nothing impacted the process though). This forum has been very very useful during the process, and I'll pay it forward as much as I can.

For starters, make copies of everything, and ask questions if you are at all unsure. I remember how daunting it was to make sure I understood the questions correctly, but also how simple it was once I had things explained to me
Thank you & Congratulations!

This forum is honestly full of so much more information than i could of expected. So far, we have everything filled in & my parts (G-325A, G-1125, Intend to Marry letter, Passport Photos (To US Standard ) & scand of my passport) are on there way to the missus now. All copied and filed away for the future. Just waiting for them to arrive & then she can get it organised and sent off.

In the mean time, i certainly won't hesitate to post and ask questions on here.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you & Congratulations!

This forum is honestly full of so much more information than i could of expected. So far, we have everything filled in & my parts (G-325A, G-1125, Intend to Marry letter, Passport Photos (To US Standard ) & scand of my passport) are on there way to the missus now. All copied and filed away for the future. Just waiting for them to arrive & then she can get it organised and sent off.

In the mean time, i certainly won't hesitate to post and ask questions on here.
Sounds like you're set. G-1125 should be something that the USC fills in though as they are the one petitioning.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Well, it was a success in that I entered on K-1 and proceeded to get married. Currently here in 74 degree weather in January.

Right now I am waiting on my adjustment of status to be completed. Be prepared for the foreign person to be without work for a few months! Luckily my wife makes good money and we both live a good life.

With immigration matters, read all of the forms thoroughly. Supply answers to the questions asked - don't try and interpret it yourself - answer it at face value.

I'm not sure if you're the USC (US Citizen)? That's the person that needs to get this process started with the initial petition.

After a while it should progress through the system, to the NVC and then to the USA London embassy. At this point the UKC will be invited to have a medical and schedule an interview.

I'll not bog you down with the details now, but be assured that if your relationship is legit and both have a clean past, the process is simply a formality and one that will probably move quicker than you think.
I'm definitely jealous of you right now! Although, when the move does happen i won't be feeling the heat through much of the year since my Fiancèe lives in Illinois.

Good luck with your AOS, i hope it all goes as smoothly as your K-1 did. I currently work 6-7 days a week to save up some money before i come out so not working is going to be a big shock, i'll be pulling my hair out with boredom!

As you may have guessed by now, i'm the UK Citizen. Thankfully my partner and i are both very organised which makes it a whole lot easier on the both of us. I honestly think the time will fly by. Our relationship is legitimate and we've managed to save 80% of our receipts, all of our plane tickets, photos etc over the last year and a half (Today to be exact).

In regards to your latest comment, i thought i'd put a G-1125 in there also as i'm too eager not too. As far as i know it SHOULD be okay.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to your latest comment, i thought i'd put a G-1125 in there also as i'm too eager not too.
You're the non-USC fiancé. As far as US immigration is concerned, you don't yet exist... and you won't exist until after the I-129F petition is approved. If you include a G-1125 at this point in time, it will serve only to confuse them... and you really don't want that to happen.

Curb your enthusiasm!

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're the non-USC fiancé. As far as US immigration is concerned, you don't yet exist... and you won't exist until after the I-129F petition is approved. If you include a G-1125 at this point in time, it will serve only to confuse them... and you really don't want that to happen.

Curb your enthusiasm!

Ian
I agree - the e-notification system is the very fragile to begin with. I wouldn't over complicate things.

Let the US citizen be the one to fill in the form and use a US phone number. Only use one form and have it attached to the front of the pack - advised to be the first thing they see.

Once the USC has a Notice of Action it will contain a code that allows either of you to track the status.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 8:21 am
Just Joined

I agree - the e-notification system is the very fragile to begin with. I wouldn't over complicate things.

Let the US citizen be the one to fill in the form and use a US phone number. Only use one form and have it attached to the front of the pack - advised to be the first thing they see.

Once the USC has a Notice of Action it will contain a code that allows either of you to track the status.
Note taken. Shall get her to remove it when my documents arrive with her sometime this week
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all!

So it begins, my K-1 Visa Journey. My partner and i are just about to start the filing process this week and i can't say i'm not excited!

I've been dipping into these forums for the last couple of months, but have only just signed up, and the information i have got from people is incredible and has helped me so much.

I will be updating this thread constantly with our process & experience to share it with you all and give those possibly looking to file for a K-1 Visa an insight into what it is like.

If you have any advice please, don't hesitate to post as i would love to hear it. Also, if you have filed for a K-1 please share your experience and timeline with me.

Thanks
I also immigrated via K-1 visa in October 2012. I'm now waiting for an interview for naturalization. You might have to be patient for a wile in the beginning, my (now) husband petitioned for the I-129F in February of that year, I sent various things to him but, as Ian said, you're not directly involved yet because this is between the US citizen and USCIS. If they approve the petition, the it will be your turn in the process and that's where you will apply for a visa to travel. For us, approval took 7 months (long wait) during which time I carried on working and went about life as normal. Petition approval to actually getting on a plane took 6 weeks, so you might want to think about what you can prepare for that in advance, during the wait.

Good luck with your petition and your subsequent journey!
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 12:17 am
Just Joined

UPDATE!

[21st February 2017] - i129F Packet Complete & Sent to USCIC Texas
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

Exciting! Now you sit there and wait patiently, hope it gets processed soon!
Old Feb 25th 2017, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Just another quick little update

[21st February 2017] - i129F Packet Complete & Sent to USCIS Texas
[25th February 2017] - Packet arrived at USCIS Texas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.