Spouse visa received

Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Harold1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa received

Looking for some help, any information would be appreciated.

I've been for my interview, and got my passport back last week with my VISA agreed. I'm now in the process of selling my flat to move out to the states (Florida) to live with my wife but, looks like its going to take a couple of months to complete.

My question is if I visit the states next month for a couple of weeks can I still come back to the UK before finally moving over in September? I know when I go through immigration next I have to hand over the package that I got back with my passport, and then apply for a social security number / green card. I just don't want to mess up by coming back to the UK when I should have stand out in the states. I've tried finding out this information but, its been the one thing I can't find out.

Again any help would be really appreciated.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 11:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Spouse visa received

If you have a CR-1 or IR-1 Immigrant Visa in your passport, then yes, you can come to the USA to get the visa endorsed so you have an I-551 in your passport. This proves you have US PR status for 1 year. You can then return to the UK for a few months to tie up loose ends. Your SSN and plastic green card should come in the mail automatically to your US address (assuming you paid the green card production fee).

Now...on the off chance that you meant you have a K-1 visa, you cannot do the above.

Please clarify which visa you have, just to make sure we give you correct information.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2017, 11:06 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Spouse visa received

Yes, many people do this. I also considered doing this. You must enter the USA before the expiry date on the visa but you can leave immediately if you wish. A lot of people come for a few weeks to get the ball rolling with setting up their new life here and then return to their home country to tie up loose ends before coming back here for good. Just make sure you aren't out of the USA for too long - once you enter with your visa you are a permanent resident so need to be spending more time in than out over the course of a 12-month period. A few months out will be fine. You will use the endorsed visa as a green card to re-enter.

By the way, you don't apply for a green card when you arrive. It's an automatic process set in motion by arriving. Upon arrival you immediately become a permanent resident and the green card is just documentary evidence of that status and follows in the mail without you doing anything. I assume you've paid the $220 fee? Or will be paying before you fly?

You may have applied for an SSN already if you ticked the box for it on the DS-260. If not, take a good book and be prepared for a very long wait at your local SS office and apply in person.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Spouse visa received

Thanks for both of your replies, its a CR-1 Visa, and I thought that gave me status for 2 1/2 years with my wife. Then I have the option to apply for a further 2 1/2 years.

I did pay the $220 fee for the Green Card, I thought I still needed to completion some documentation when I went through customs when I move. Is this not the case then?

Again sorry if I'm asking anything obvious, taken so much information in other the last 12 months I can't remember what's right or not.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 11:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harold1981
Thanks for both of your replies, its a CR-1 Visa, and I thought that gave me status for 2 1/2 years with my wife. Then I have the option to apply for a further 2 1/2 years.
I think you are referring to your 2-year conditional status once you arrive in the USA. Yes, when you enter the USA and become a US PR, you will have conditional status for 2 years. Your initial plastic green card will be valid for 2 years. During the 90-day window just prior to the 2 year card expiration, you will file an I-751 for removal of conditions and then will receive a 10-year card. You can apply for citizenship after 3 years of being a PR and 3 years of marriage. But this has nothing to do with your ability to return to the UK for a few months after your initial arrival in the USA.

I did pay the $220 fee for the Green Card, I thought I still needed to completion some documentation when I went through customs when I move. Is this not the case then?
This is not the case. No further documentation needed. You become a US Permanent Resident as soon as you enter the USA using your CR-1 visa.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help, much appreciated
Old Jun 28th 2017, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
This is not the case. No further documentation needed.
That wasn't quite true when I immigrated, over six years ago now. The CBP officer who processed me in "New Immigrants" secondary at JFK filled out a form which I had to sign and provide an ink print of my right index finger. Both of these appeared on my green card when it turned up a few weeks later. Possibly these items are captured at a different point in the process now.

In any case, the actual immigrant processing (excluding waiting in secondary, and for me even that was only a few minutes) barely took about 5-10 minutes.

Last edited by rpjs; Jun 28th 2017 at 2:17 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 2:21 pm

Sorry, I meant no further USCIS forms to get the green card. There may indeed be something to fill out at the POE.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2017, 7:46 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

My recent experience when I arrived at Orlando, and joined the queue along with all the British tourists:

Once I arrived at the first desk, and handed my passport and envelope, I was asked a couple of questions about where and when I met my wife. I then had my finger prints scanned (normal entry procedure), before being sent for secondary processing.

I had to wait for approx 15 minutes before somebody collected my envelope from the in tray, and another 15 whilst they went to their office to do whatever they needed. When they returned my passport, the stamp had the date of entry, and the handwritten expiry date is for 2 years time.

It took 11 days for me to receive my SSN. I believe I will have a long wait to receive the actual 'green' card though.

Last edited by ivanidea; Jun 28th 2017 at 7:49 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help on this, fingers crossed goes ok next week now.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of receiving your green card and SS card in the mail, is it ok to give an address that’s out of state? My wife and I will be moving to Florida but will not have a permanent address but family friends are in California who we can use.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 29th 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
On the subject of receiving your green card and SS card in the mail, is it ok to give an address that’s out of state? My wife and I will be moving to Florida but will not have a permanent address but family friends are in California who we can use.

Thanks in advance
Yes.

Rene