Sponsors Income/Assets

Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sponsors Income/Assets

I've looked for the answer on the uscis.gov site and cant find it, or am confused about it.

If my fiancé has savings equivalent to or more than the income required, is that sufficient in lieu of actual employment income?

I'm sure I read somewhere that savings have to be something like 5 times as much, but now I cant find where I read it.

Also what would be the limit for my assets and savings?

Thanks.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:29 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsors Income/Assets

Originally Posted by Smudger222
I've looked for the answer on the uscis.gov site and cant find it, or am confused about it.

If my fiancé has savings equivalent to or more than the income required, is that sufficient in lieu of actual employment income?

I'm sure I read somewhere that savings have to be something like 5 times as much, but now I cant find where I read it.

Thanks.
If your fiance wants to use assets instead of income it needs to be 3x the amount lacking (it says this on the instructions for the I864.)

I'm not sure what you mean about a limit on your assets, there's no limit that I know of, how would that work?
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You asked a similar question in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828924

If your fiance wants to use assets instead of income on the I-134, he can do that (although since he earns enough income, why would he want to do that?). With the I-134, there is NO set dollar amount for income or assets. It will be up to the ConOff to decide if whatever is shown on the I-134 is "enough" or not.

Same goes for you, if you want to self-sponsor, as indicated in that other thread.

The 5x amount you are thinking of is associated with the I-864, the Affidavit of Support needed for your AOS in the USA, not the K-1 fiance visa. There is no 3x or 5x figure requirements when using the I-134.

Rene
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
If your fiance wants to use assets instead of income it needs to be 3x the amount lacking (it says this on the instructions for the I864.)
This isn't so for the I-134 Affidavit of Support associated with the K-1 visa.

Rene
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:34 pm

Maybe, maybe not. It will be up to the ConOff to decide.

That would be in the I-864 instructions at www.uscis.gov. But you aren't using the I-864 right now, so that doesn't apply to you. You'll be using Form I-134 for your K-1 affidavit of support.

If you are thinking of using your own assets (savings), the same applies...it will be up to the ConOff to decide if what you have is enough. There's no set dollar amount associated with the I-134.

Rene
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:38 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
This isn't so for the I-134 Affidavit of Support associated with the K-1 visa.

Rene
Sure, but I thought the general advice here was to follow the I864p as there were no set amounts on the I134 instructions?
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both for your replies......and sorry if my questions seem repetitive.......I'm trying to define things in my pea sized brain!

I guess it boils down to the previously stated concern about lack of tax returns etc. Just making sure I cover all my bases by having every option covered. As cash and asset wise, we are sorted.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Sure, but I thought the general advice here was to follow the I864p as there were no set amounts on the I134 instructions?
Oh, yes...you're right...the I-864P figures can be used as a general guideline. But it's not set in stone for the I-134.

Rene
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:54 pm

I guess it boils down to the previously stated concern about lack of tax returns etc. Just making sure I cover all my bases by having every option covered. As cash and asset wise, we are sorted.

Cheers.
If the scenario is as you described in your other thread, you have nothing to worry about.

Rene