Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Son to visit US while I-130 pending

Son to visit US while I-130 pending

Old Oct 16th 2003, 5:23 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Son to visit US while I-130 pending

Hello

My 19 year old son has an I-130 pending which was applied for the same time as mine in March 2003. It won't be pproved until at least this time next year, maybe longer. He didn't want to go the K4 route on my K3 visa as he needs more time in the UK.

He will be visiting me and my husband (his USC step dad as defined by BCIS) in a couple of months time. Will he have any problems at the POE because of the I-130 pending? Should he bring evidence of ties to the UK etc?

Thanks

Maggie
Old Oct 16th 2003, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Son to visit US while I-130 pending

Originally posted by Maggs
Hello

My 19 year old son has an I-130 pending which was applied for the same time as mine in March 2003. It won't be pproved until at least this time next year, maybe longer. He didn't want to go the K4 route on my K3 visa as he needs more time in the UK.

He will be visiting me and my husband (his USC step dad as defined by BCIS) in a couple of months time. Will he have any problems at the POE because of the I-130 pending? Should he bring evidence of ties to the UK etc?

Thanks

Maggie
H Maggie
I travelled many times to the US whilst my I-130 was pending. It should not be an issue but I did used to carry something that showed I had employment at home and a return air ticket. Of course this makes no guarantee BUT it helps in sticky questioning moments if you look like you know the score and are obviously prepared.
Very rarely was I asked anything, in fact for the first couple of times I offered the info but the immigration officer was always more interested in his coffee than my letter - Hey ho!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

A previous poster had troubles with this recently. Try searching on Gasherjohn and see what comes up. My recollection of the story is that the children were in transitional phases in their lives and didn't have enough documentation to reassure the officer that they would return.
The simple answer is yes, he should bring evidence that he intends to return to the UK. He may not even be questioned, but he should be prepared if he is.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:25 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pallyn
A previous poster had troubles with this recently. Try searching on Gasherjohn and see what comes up. My recollection of the story is that the children were in transitional phases in their lives and didn't have enough documentation to reassure the officer that they would return.
The simple answer is yes, he should bring evidence that he intends to return to the UK. He may not even be questioned, but he should be prepared if he is.
Hi

Thanks whatever and Pallyn for replying. I'll make sure he has his return ticket (I'm buying it!) and a letter from his employer. I just wasn't sure how strict they were on I-130's.

Pallyn
If I remember rightly Johns children had been in a bit of minor trouble with the police and couldn't use the visa waiver. John then tried to apply for a visitors visa for his kids but was denied I think? Please John if you read this can you confirm this?

Maggie
Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:34 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Default Re: Son to visit US while I-130 pending

Originally posted by whatever
H Maggie
I travelled many times to the US whilst my I-130 was pending. It should not be an issue but I did used to carry something that showed I had employment at home and a return air ticket. Of course this makes no guarantee BUT it helps in sticky questioning moments if you look like you know the score and are obviously prepared.
Very rarely was I asked anything, in fact for the first couple of times I offered the info but the immigration officer was always more interested in his coffee than my letter - Hey ho!

Whatever

I've just read your timeline. This has been a very long process for you. Is it you that is coming over or your family that is coming over? I have a 21 year old daughter that may in the future want to come over to the US but can't until I actually receive permanent residency and then citizenship. We are going to be waiting a long time until we can all be together ......and she may not even want to when we are in a position to apply for her. Oh well!

Good luck with everything.

Maggie
Old Oct 16th 2003, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Maggs
Hi

Thanks whatever and Pallyn for replying. I'll make sure he has his return ticket (I'm buying it!) and a letter from his employer. I just wasn't sure how strict they were on I-130's.

Pallyn
If I remember rightly Johns children had been in a bit of minor trouble with the police and couldn't use the visa waiver. John then tried to apply for a visitors visa for his kids but was denied I think? Please John if you read this can you confirm this?

Maggie

Not sure where John is, was hoping he would chip in as well. Yes, they were turned down for visitor's visas, which he thought they had to get because of earlier legal trouble. It was the lack of the ties that cause the denials on the visitor's visas. The same principle would apply at POE, though.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 10:57 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Originally posted by Pallyn
Not sure where John is, was hoping he would chip in as well. Yes, they were turned down for visitor's visas, which he thought they had to get because of earlier legal trouble. It was the lack of the ties that cause the denials on the visitor's visas. The same principle would apply at POE, though.

Thanks Pallyn

I'll make absolutely sure he has everything he needs. I'd hate him to be turned back at POE.

Maggie