Social security number

Old Dec 8th 2017, 7:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social security number

Originally Posted by viitav
Just an update - went to SS and my SS number was never applied for so that application form I filled out didn't mean anything.

However I applied and verbally got my SS number two days later and the card arrived a few days after that.
WTG.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a little update from me, too - my SSN arrived in the mail on Saturday. So just a four-day wait after visiting the SSA office. Hopefully the job search will pick up a little speed now!

Originally Posted by viitav
However I applied and verbally got my SS number two days later and the card arrived a few days after that.
When I called and asked about receiving my SSN, I was told that they don't give SSNs over the phone anymore (the lady said this changed "a couple of years ago"), so that's interesting that you were given yours verbally, viitav! I wonder if the lady I spoke to was misinformed, or if it varies from state to state / office to office. Either way, I'm glad we've both made progress. Hope you're well!
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly wouldn't be a surprise if a person you spoke to was misinformed.

We had an example at the DMV - we purchased my car (financed, therefore we don't have the title) in California and drove it back to Colorado. After arguing with the supervisor for over an hour that we could register it and get it on Colorado plates without the title we were sent away... Two days later we went back and spoke to a young lady who said that we were right and 25 minutes later we walked out with our Colorado registration.

Dealing with anything federal here such as the SSA, DMV, IRS etc is always a headache - you'll get used to it!

Good luck in your job search
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Dealing with anything federal here such as the SSA, DMV, IRS etc is always a headache - you'll get used to it!
I'll bear this in mind in future! Thank you for the good luck, too.

I'm glad to hear you got your registration sorted in the end.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KK85
Just a little update from me, too - my SSN arrived in the mail on Saturday. So just a four-day wait after visiting the SSA office. Hopefully the job search will pick up a little speed now!

When I called and asked about receiving my SSN, I was told that they don't give SSNs over the phone anymore (the lady said this changed "a couple of years ago"), so that's interesting that you were given yours verbally, viitav! I wonder if the lady I spoke to was misinformed, or if it varies from state to state / office to office. Either way, I'm glad we've both made progress. Hope you're well!

They won't give it over the phone and yes, this has been the ruling for several years now.

But they will give you the number in person if you go to the office and bring proof of who you are.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
They won't give it over the phone and yes, this has been the ruling for several years now.

But they will give you the number in person if you go to the office and bring proof of who you are.
I see! Thank you, Rete. Useful for others in similar situations to know.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 6:20 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by BenK91
Certainly wouldn't be a surprise if a person you spoke to was misinformed.

We had an example at the DMV - we purchased my car (financed, therefore we don't have the title) in California and drove it back to Colorado. After arguing with the supervisor for over an hour that we could register it and get it on Colorado plates without the title we were sent away... Two days later we went back and spoke to a young lady who said that we were right and 25 minutes later we walked out with our Colorado registration.

Good luck in your job search
I hear you, Ben, about the re-registering an automobile purchased out of state and not having a title. Fortunately, there are some loan companies that do give you a title for your car (usually comes in the mail a month after you purchase it) when you finance it. The title will show that you are not the only titleholder and that the finance company holds the title as well. The car cannot be sold without a clear title. Nor can you insure the car without having the finance company listed on the insurance policy. This is at least true in New York State where all of my autos over the last 45 years have been financed. This has included Wells Fargo, Chase and Capital One. Having a loan on the car does not stop you from registering the automobile with DMV. A lack of insurance will do so or a lack of previous registration will as well.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KK85

Hey!

Luckily the SS office is a 10 min walk from my apt so I got it in person. On the phone they wouldn't even talk to me if I didn't have my number lol. I'm well thank you I hope you are too! Fingers crossed the job search picks up!