Social security number

Old Nov 27th 2017, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social security number

Good luck, I'm sure it'll be a pleasant experience.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 7:13 pm
UK->US

Katdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chins
I’m doing exactly the same thing today. Heading to my local directly from Newark. Fingers crossed I’m on the system. Need to buy some wheels 😀
Something came up, so I'm actually heading in tomorrow - let me know what comes out of your visit!
Old Nov 28th 2017, 2:58 pm
UK->US

Katdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Katdog
Something came up, so I'm actually heading in tomorrow - let me know what comes out of your visit!
Just finished at the SSA.

They checked the visa in my passport and searched their system for an open application - there wasn’t one. The lady who saw me didn’t have any familiarity with the immigration process and kept asking about how the application was submitted (I explained multiple times that it was automated by checking the box to apply on the DS-260).

I filled in a new application and have now been told that I should receive a number within 2 weeks (7-10 working days).
Old Nov 28th 2017, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

They checked the visa in my passport and searched their system for an open application - there wasn’t one. The lady who saw me didn’t have any familiarity with the immigration process and kept asking about how the application was submitted (I explained multiple times that it was automated by checking the box to apply on the DS-260).

I filled in a new application and have now been told that I should receive a number within 2 weeks (7-10 working days).

Sounds like a standard visit to the SSA.

Most people on here have the experience that the staff there are very unfamiliar with immigration. It's also the same at other federal branches such as the DMV etc. If you're an immigrant it seems to baffle them.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

At least I dont feel alone now

Maybe our DS-260's got processed by the same person.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 6:12 pm
UK->US

To add insult to injury (although I am obviously very pleased), my green card just arrived in the mail.

I was told the SSN would arrive within 3 weeks, but the green card might take months - it seems these timelines may be swapped!
Old Dec 1st 2017, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sean81 is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like I have been one of the lucky ones: I arrived into the States on November 17th and my SS arrived in the mail on November 29th!

I'm hoping that the green card arrives just as promptly!
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

I also haven't received my SSN - I arrived in the States two weeks ago today.

I called the field office today just out of interest, as not having an SSN is proving to be a stumbling block for me when making job applications (a lot of websites won't let you process an application without one), and it's a good job I did - they had no record of me in their systems whatsoever. Nothing pending, nothing sent, no application ever made (although I, too, ticked the 'Please process me a SSN' box on the DS-260) - nothing. I have been advised to go into the office in person with all my paperwork to start the application from scratch, so I shall do that next week.

Reassured to hear other people say that they've headed to the office in person and been told the SSN would arrive in a couple of weeks - not being able to work is already getting dull! The lady on the phone told me that "the paperwork says they take a couple of weeks, but people usually get their SSN in a couple of days", so fingers crossed that might be close to accurate.

Good luck, everyone!
Old Dec 4th 2017, 6:55 pm
UK->US

Quick update - I've now received my SSN, less than a week after visiting the SSA office!
Old Dec 4th 2017, 10:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Quick update - I've now received my SSN, less than a week after visiting the SSA office!
WTG!
Old Dec 5th 2017, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Congratulations!

Feels great to finally receive it. It definitely gives you the sense of enablement
Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine also arrived
Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Jumping on the bandwagon - I went to the SSA office today to request my SSN. The lady looked at my visa, checked a few basic details (parents' names, my address and phone number), tapped a few things onto her computer, took a copy of my marriage certificate so that she could process the SSN in my married name (this will therefore differ from the name on my green card, which is in my maiden name, but the lady seemed to think it would be enough for me to provide my marriage certificate if/whenever necessary when providing ID, and empathised with my desire to use my married name if/where possible), and then told me I'd likely receive my SSN in the mail within the next couple of weeks.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 11:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nice going!
Old Dec 8th 2017, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update - went to SS and my SS number was never applied for so that application form I filled out didn't mean anything.

However I applied and verbally got my SS number two days later and the card arrived a few days after that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.