Social security number

Old Nov 11th 2017, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social security number

Hey everyone!

I’ve been in the states for two weeks now and it’s goiny okay (stressful looking for a apt and brokers here are very manipulative lol).

I haven’t received my social yet and I’m due to start work on the 1st of December - did anyone receive there’s in the post or did they end up having to go to the SS office? I ticked the box on my DS260 however I’ve heard sometimes they never arrive lol.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social security number

I'd drop by an SS office. They may well be able to tell it to you if it has been assigned. Take your passport.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 4:43 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine arrived 3 weeks after arrival.

However, I started work without it. All it meant was that I couldn't be processed by payroll. As soon as the SSN arrived, payroll file was updated and I received the back pay.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

As Tom said, you may just have to go down there.

They'll at least be able to give you some sort of update no matter how vague it will be.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

LandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond repute

I have a similar dilemma to viitav (congratulations on your arrival in the US by the way, and thanks for opening this thread).

I am about to make my initial IR-1 "port of entry" trip to the US specifically to activate my permanent resident visa and get the green card, but will only be in New York for a week before heading home to finalise moving and then embarking on three months' travel in Asia. The reason for going now is 1) to see my wife's family ahead of Christmas, and 2) I need my social security number as I'm applying to grad schools in America and will be applying for federal loans.

Recently, though, I have read cases where despite checking the box on the DS-260, the social security number is not generated for some reason, which (if it happens to me) would invalidate half the reason for this particular trip.

Is it worth visiting a Social Security office in New York City with freshly-stamped I-551 in hand just to make sure? Is it even possible for me to do this, given that my initial place of residence in the US will be in Texas, not New York?

Really hoping to avoid having to make a second whistle-stop trip to the US to get my social security number generated prior to actually moving, having been led to believe throughout the whole application process that it was automatic!

Last edited by LandOfLincoln; Nov 13th 2017 at 3:11 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LandOfLincoln
I have a similar dilemma. I am about to make my initial IR-1 "port of entry" trip to the US specifically to activate my permanent resident visa and get the green card, but will only be in New York for a week before heading home to finalise moving and then embarking on three months' travel in Asia. The reason for going now is 1) to see my wife's family ahead of Christmas, and 2) I need my social security number as I'm applying to grad schools in America and will be applying for federal loans.

Recently, though, I have read cases where despite checking the box on the DS-260, the social security number is not generated for some reason, which (if it happens to me) would invalidate half the reason for this particular trip.

Is it worth visiting a Social Security office in New York City with freshly-stamped I-551 in hand just to make sure? Is it even possible for me to do this, given that my initial place of residence in the US will be in Texas, not New York?

Really hoping to avoid having to make a second whistle-stop trip to the US to get my social security number generated prior to actually moving, having been led to believe throughout the whole application process that it was automatic!
I posted on this the other week. I went to the SSO 4 days after entering. I am sure I ticked the box on the DS-260. They would not even look on their system until i've been in 3 weeks. I even spoke to two agents. My wife changed her name just over a week ago and her new SSN card has arrived.

Does anyone know if they will give you your number when you are physically there ?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chins
I posted on this the other week. I went to the SSO 4 days after entering. I am sure I ticked the box on the DS-260. They would not even look on their system until i've been in 3 weeks. I even spoke to two agents. My wife changed her name just over a week ago and her new SSN card has arrived.

Does anyone know if they will give you your number when you are physically there ?

I don't know if they can physically hand you a number or give it to you in other way other than mail.

Someone else will probably be able to confirm or deny that but I thought due to security reasons etc etc that was the only way you would be able to receive one.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 4:25 pm
UK->US

Katdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud of

Just posting to claim that I'm in the same boat. Entered 02 November, waiting for SSN.

I'm going to wait the full three weeks before going to the local SSA office. It's tempting to go before that, but I don't want to screw anything up -- I've read experiences where submitting a second application while awaiting the DS-260-initiated one can slow down the process even more.

Just trying to be patient
Old Nov 13th 2017, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know that the process for getting your SSN has changed from when I arrived back in 2000.

Was told then to pop down to the SS Office about 7 to 10 days after your arrival to check what was going on - and expect your docs to arrive anytime up to three weeks after at your US address.

Mine arrived in the mail about 14 days after my arrival.

Looks like the same system is in place as per the following thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...ber-ok-903866/
Old Nov 13th 2017, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I don't know that the process for getting your SSN has changed from when I arrived back in 2000.

Was told then to pop down to the SS Office about 7 to 10 days after your arrival to check what was going on - and expect your docs to arrive anytime up to three weeks after at your US address.

Mine arrived in the mail about 14 days after my arrival.

Looks like the same system is in place as per the following thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...ber-ok-903866/
Yeah, I went about 10 days in and had no issues.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 3:03 pm
UK->US

Katdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud of

Just a quick update - I'm now 20 days in (3 weeks is tomorrow, Thanksgiving) and still no SSN in the mail.

On Friday I'm going down to the local SSA with passport in hand.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Katdog
Just a quick update - I'm now 20 days in (3 weeks is tomorrow, Thanksgiving) and still no SSN in the mail.

Not to sound patronizing but have you checked to see if they'll be open?

Federal offices like to have days off on or around holidays!
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

They are closed.

https://www.ssa.gov/agency/holidays.html
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 3:39 pm
UK->US

Originally Posted by BenK91
Not to sound patronizing but have you checked to see if they'll be open?

Federal offices like to have days off on or around holidays!
Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Not patronising at all, thanks for letting me know, chaps! I'll head in on Monday instead.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Not patronising at all, thanks for letting me know, chaps! I'll head in on Monday instead.
I’m doing exactly the same thing today. Heading to my local directly from Newark. Fingers crossed I’m on the system. Need to buy some wheels 😀

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.